Reliving the Madhumati heroics

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Reliving the Madhumati heroics

KOLKATA: For reasons best known to the Indian military establishment, the battle of Madhumati in the 1971 Indo-Pak War was not given its due. That was the first time in Indian Army's history - and probably the last time as well - that light tanks were driven across a nearly 15-feet deep river to attack the 9 Division of Pakistani Army. The enemy was caught by surprise and was left with no option but surrender before another Indian Brigade that had set up a roadblock in the rear.

Major General (retd) Rajinder Nath clearly remembers that December night when he took the decision to cross Madhumati river in a tank.

"The 9 Division of Pakistan, with nearly 3,000 soldiers, had taken up position in the east. I was part of the 62 Brigade and had orders to attack from the north. The 7 Brigade had crossed the river from the south and taken up position in the rear, cutting off the escape route for Pakistanis. We had 10-12 tanks when we reached the river that was nearly 300 yards wide and 15 feet deep. The Pakistanis never thought that we could cross by tank. Even my superiors thought that I had lost my head. What we had were light tanks of Russian make. Each had two machine guns and a light gun. These could not take on other tanks but were extremely effective against infantry," the general said.

He got into the lead tank with the squadron commander who kept on reminding him that they wouldn't even be found if the tank capsized. It was around 1am when Gen Nath (then a Brigadier) began crossing the river. The troops followed in boats. It was 4-5am when the Pakistanis spotted the tanks and sent message to their headquarters. The Pakistani military top brass called the men malingerers as nobody would believe that tanks could have crossed the river.

"We overran the positions. The Pakistanis were so demoralized that they simply ran, right into the clutches of the 7 Brigade. Later in the day, when my boss arrived at the scene, he was unhappy that I had no prisoners. I couldn't explain to him that all the prisoners with the other Brigade were all due to our efforts. We were advancing the next day in our tanks when we saw Pakistani vehicles approach with white flags. We were told that Major General Ansari, GOC of the 9 Division of Pakistani Army, had decided to lay down arms. He had apparently watched our 10-odd tanks moving forward in a cloud of dust and believed that a tank regiment was attacking," Nath said.

This was on December 15, 1971, a day before Lt Gen AAK Niazi surrendered in Dhaka. Nath was not aware of the plans for the next day and thought it appropriate to get a document from the Pakistanis to prove that they had actually surrendered to him. The Pakistanis put down all details about the troops, wrote a surrender statement and handed the document to Gen Nath, who was from the 11 Gorkha Rifles. The document is still present at the War Museum of the 62 Mountain Brigade (now the 62 Armoured Brigade).

"I even took the Pakistani general's baton and handed it over to the museum. Unfortunately, I didn't have a photographer with me at that time. I have seen the War from up close and the torture meted out to Bangladeshis by the Pakistani troops and Razakars. In fact, it was the plight of the refugees entering India that motivated my troops to act tough against the Pakistanis and Razakars. Strangely, Indian Army did away with the light tanks that could be very effective if fitted with missiles. I feel that India should have a couple of regiments of light tanks even today," Gen Nath said.

Reliving the Madhumati heroics - The Times of India
Reminiscence for the Indian Army history buffs!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Were the tanks PT-76?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yes, they were PT 76 tanks.

45 CAV.

They were real light and amphibious.

Inspite of being very light, the East Pakistan terrain was so soft that even this light tank would get bogged down!!

lemontree

Professional
Yes PT-76's of 45 Cav were used in that battle. My father's battalion, 1 Naga was part of this battle (he was RMO of the unit). They were part of 4 Div.
A couple of days earlier two troops of 45 Cav and a platoon of 22 Rajput were ambushed at Kushtia. One 2 Lt, one JCO and 9 other ranks were captured by 18 Punjab (Pak) & 29 Cav. They were given quite a savage treatment. For the soldiers, one leg each was tied to two separate tanks of 29 Cav (Pak), and the tanks moved in the opposite directions, ripping apart their bodies. The JCO was tied to a tree and a jeep was repeatedly backed into him, till he died. The 2 Lt's penis was chopped off and he was left on the terrace of a building.

The next day the IAF sent in 9 Gnats to straf and bomb the town, but 29 Cav & 18 Punjab had scooted by then. The 2 Lt was found alive when the town was cleared.

After the battle at Madhumati, a number of surrended Pak officers of their 9 Div were lined up and shot for the atrocities committed at Khustia.
In that battle an Indian actress Leena Chandavarkar lost her brother, Major Chandavarkar of 45 Cav, who was killed in action (not many know this bit of trivia).

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes PT-76's of 45 Cav were used in that battle. My father's battalion, 1 Naga was part of this battle (he was RMO of the unit). They were part of 4 Div.
A couple of days earlier two troops of 45 Cav and a platoon of 22 Rajput were ambushed at Kushtia. One 2 Lt, one JCO and 9 other ranks were captured by 18 Punjab (Pak) & 29 Cav. They were given quite a savage treatment. For the soldiers, one leg each was tied to two separate tanks of 29 Cav (Pak), and the tanks moved in the opposite directions, ripping apart their bodies. The JCO was tied to a tree and a jeep was repeatedly backed into him, till he died. The 2 Lt's penis was chopped off and he was left on the terrace of a building.

The next day the IAF sent in 9 Gnats to straf and bomb the town, but 29 Cav & 18 Punjab had scooted by then. The 2 Lt was found alive when the town was cleared.

After the battle at Madhumati, a number of surrended Pak officers of their 9 Div were lined up and shot for the atrocities committed at Khustia.
In that battle an Indian actress Leena Chandavarkar lost her brother, Major Chandavarkar of 45 Cav, who was killed in action (not many know this bit of trivia).
Speechless. Sir, it would be a pleasure to hear of some other stories from the war.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The Pakistanis never thought that we could cross by tank. Even my superiors thought that I had lost my head.

Seems a failure of PA intel, but even IA commanders may not have fully understood the capabilties of their armor.

Last edited by a moderator:

lemontree

Professional
One small correction the Indian officer killed in Kushtia was 2 Lt. Chandavarkar of 45 Cav and not Major.

mayfair

A couple of days earlier two troops of 45 Cav and a platoon of 22 Rajput were ambushed at Kushtia. One 2 Lt, one JCO and 9 other ranks were captured by 18 Punjab (Pak) & 29 Cav. They were given quite a savage treatment. For the soldiers, one leg each was tied to two separate tanks of 29 Cav (Pak), and the tanks moved in the opposite directions, ripping apart their bodies. The JCO was tied to a tree and a jeep was repeatedly backed into him, till he died.
Pakistaniyat was alive and kicking..something not dissimilar happened with Saurabh Kalias' patrol and Sqdn Leader Ajay Ahuja during Kargil war.

..is the right way to treat these scum. Should have done more of that instead of feeding the 93,000 cowards for four years.

lemontree

Professional
Pakistaniyat was alive and kicking..something not dissimilar happened with Saurabh Kalias' patrol and Sqdn Leader Ajay Ahuja during Kargil war.
This savage treatment is common for our captured troops. One soldier of my battalion went missing during a patrol, the unit found his body the next day - a large raddish up his rectum, his chopped penis shoved in his mouth and a gun shot to his head. They dont believe in killing, they have to deliver the ultimate insult to a soldiers manhood.

It is ironic that the first troops to enter Dacca were the Sikhs (6 Sikh LI) and Marathas (1 Maratha LI) along with 2 Para - the communities that broke the Mughal empire by their insurgencies.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Cant blame them its in their blood from long time back..

Only solution is terror against terror for these kinds..

Back in Kargil similar execution occurred when one POW start abusing and trying to escape, result was shooting at instance..

lemontree

Professional
Cant blame them its in their blood from long time back..

Only solution is terror against terror for these kinds..
I always wanted to burn the bodies of the killed jihadis, to send them to hell, but my CO handed them over to the local villagers for burial.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles