Reliance ''Offer'' and my Reply

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I dumped Reliance Broadband about an year ago, and they sent me a letter:

How sweet, an email address I can reply to. So I did:

Hi,

This is in response to your recent marketing letter urging me to join back into the "million strong Reliance Broadband family", close to an year after I left it, and that you have a "special scheme worked out specially for me".

Let me begin by saying that thank you for that communication, but no thank you. There were a number of reasons I unsubscribed from Reliance Broadband:

1. Poor Infrastructure: If I remember correctly, I was subscribed to a 400 kbps unlimited plan, which I gradually upgraded to 600 kbps, and eventually 1 mbps, paying through my nose at Rs. 1300 a month. I live in the heart of Hyderabad city, and I can claim that my electricity connection was more consistent than Reliance Broadband (I had fewer power-outages than connection-outages). I needed the connection to work at any time of the day I wanted it to, and Reliance Broadband certainly didn't cater to that very basic requirement

2. Actual Speeds Vastly Differed from Advertised Speeds: 1 megabit equals 128 kilobytes, not 100 kilobytes. Refer to ISO specifications for conversion, Google it, if you don't know what ISO is. My 1 megabit per second connection never (not even in short bursts) crossed 100 kilobytes per second, I had taken that issue up, written to virtually everyone in Reliance, and even wrote to TRAI and various consumer fora, that didn't fix the issue. I fully understood that there's something called protocol overhead, and that eats into the available bandwidth, but that didn't explain how my bandwidth was capped at 100 KB/s, notwithstanding the fact that protocol overhead cannot eat into 25% of the bandwidth.

3. Bureaucracy: Dealing with the convoluted and slow Reliance Customer support is an experience I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.

4. Reliance Got pwned by a Local Company (now this is an important observation, keep up with me here): Do you remember the days when fancy novelty stuff wasn't accessible to Indian consumers, and that they would rely on their relatives settled in the developed world to bring them things? And how you'd have to pay through your nose to clear that stuff through the Customs, and you'd end up paying 200% for the commodity that a person in the developed world would? Internet service to Hyderabadis was a similar case, when we would rely on you Mumbai-based telecom companies like Reliance, Tata, or state-run VSNL/BSNL. Internet as a service was appearing to be too bad a deal for Hyderabad's residents. We were paying 1500 Rupees (33.5 USD) for 1 Mbps (in reality, 100 KB/s, or 800 kbps) unlimited, when people in China are paying the equivalent of 20 USD for 10 Mbps unlimited.

Then came the messiah of Internet service providers, Beam Telecom. This local company offered me 4 megabits per second unlimited plan for 1500 Rupees a month. It was a no brainer to dump Reliance for this company. It's not just the deals, but the structure of the company that attracted me. Much like TV cable operators, this company has adopted a truly Indianised approach to its customers. There is a customer-care call center, but the company gives you the cellphone number of the technician in-charge of your locality, and encourages you to get directly in touch with the men on the ground to get something fixed. They don't keep records of what they fix, and so they're not under this fear of "poor track record" observation by higher company management. With Reliance, the hierarchy reigns supreme, the franchisees on the ground hate it when you lodge a complaint with the management (call-center), provide inferior service.

This May, Beam Telecom gave me an offer I could not refuse, a shocking offer: 20 megabits per second, unlimited downloads, at 2500 Rupees a month (including all taxes). Finally, finally, I saw some parity being established between the Indian internet service consumer, and his counterpart from China, or even the west. After subscribing to that plan, I wrote a personal Thank You letter to the management of Beam, for what I saw as a watershed for residents of Hyderabad.

Do you have a better offer to make? No? Then tell your Anil Ambani to get the hell out of the Broadband business. He is robbing people blind, and don't he dare needle Beam Telecom with anti-competition charges. At an age when Americans are paying $25 a month for speeds like 80 Mbps unlimited, British doing 50 Mb/s at around the same price, and when the Chinese get 30 Mbps for $50 a month, Indians DESERVE 20 Mbps unlimited for $50 a month, and Beam Telecom's service is the closest it gets to that. If your infrastructure can't handle it, lobby around in New Delhi to make the government expand the internet backbone, lay new undersea cables to Europe, East Asia, and Australia, expand the undersea network bandwidth alloted to India by 10 times. Companies as big as Reliance and Tata can make Delhi to do that, and you owe the Indian consumer at least that much.

Don't call me offering crappy 2 Mbps unlimited for 1500 Rupees a month. I'll just laugh hysterically and hang up.

Regards,
<<my name, address>>

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
oh my, you took all the pains to write all that to that taye chache di dukaan (its not even worth calling lalaji ki dukaan!), no one is listening there mate. till the time ek ka char ho reha hai till then who cares, certainly not taye aur chache there ................

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
oh my, you took all the pains to write all that to that taye chache di dukaan (its not even worth calling lalaji ki dukaan!), no one is listening there mate. till the time ek ka char ho reha hai till then who cares, certainly not taye aur chache there ................
They contacted me seeking details such as phone number and address to take me back as a customer. After providing them those details, I added that letter. Surely someone will read it.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Tarun they wont even read it. Why waste ur time and energy.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
if you get a reply do share with us the reply, i would certainly look forward to it and if they dont, say in another 10-15 days, tell that as well.

pmaitra

I had a Reliance cell phone when I was in Bhubaneswar circa. 2000-2001. It was Rs. 5.25/min for outgoing and Rs.3.75/min for incoming calls. Wasn't happy at all. Then came BSNL with Rs.0.80/min for outgoing and incoming free. Dumped Reliance without wasting time.

sob

Mod
Country flag
I have been a very happy customer with Relaince CDMA for a very long time. Switched from Airtel and saw my Roaming bills drop by half. Have an alternate Vodafone number and I can say that they are as good or as bad as Relaince. For Broadband connection I have Airtel, Rs. 1399 for 4 MBPS connection with limit of 30 GB per month. Matches my requirement and I have no complaints

sob

Mod
Country flag
I dumped Reliance Broadband about an year ago, and they sent me a letter:

How sweet, an email address I can reply to. So I did:
Tarun, Siffy, Hyderabad company , was also giving Internet connection. I had it around the year 1999, it was a dial up at that time.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Tarun, Siffy, Hyderabad company , was also giving Internet connection. I had it around the year 1999, it was a dial up at that time.
Sify declined and is almost dead after the spectacular fall of Satyam.

For Broadband connection I have Airtel, Rs. 1399 for 4 MBPS connection with limit of 30 GB per month. Matches my requirement and I have no complaints
For 40% less than that (Rs. 1000), you get 10 MBPS with no limits, in Hyderabad.

Parthy

Air Warrior
Tarun, You've got great letter writing skills. I would recommend you to write letter to below people too

1. Our honorable PM Dr.Singh - To act upon the Scams and the people related to it.
2. Sonia - To better serve Rahul Gandhi and not to leave him outside their home.
3. Mayawati - Advising not to waste Indian Currency as garland.

:D

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Tarun, You've got great letter writing skills. I would recommend you to write letter to below people too

1. Our honorable PM Dr.Singh - To act upon the Scams and the people related to it.
2. Sonia - To better serve Rahul Gandhi and not to leave him outside their home.
3. Mayawati - Advising not to waste Indian Currency as garland.

:D
Only 3 people ?

My list would overwhelm tarun :D

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Good reply. I thought about getting beam connection but i live in part of delhi where even airtel doesn't offer connection. (sarkari mohalla) so i am stuck with 2mbps through mtnl.

IMO in this day and age anyone shelling out more than a thousand deserves atleast minimum 8 mbps unlimited but useless wankers at trai are inept and in bed with big companies.

Reactions: sob

Adux

Country flag
Rs.2500 for 1 Mbps. over 1:1 dedicated ethernet. Tata VSNL Unlimited, I get a download speed of 90 Kb/S constantly. I am Stupid.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Rs.2500 for 1 Mbps. over 1:1 dedicated ethernet. Tata VSNL Unlimited, I get a download speed of 90 Kb/S constantly. I am Stupid.
Even mtnl/bsnl would give 4mbps for that amount.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tarun it probably was a routine marketing effort. I dont think they will read or respond to your mail. Reliance is "chor" and everyone knows that.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
They contacted me seeking details such as phone number and address to take me back as a customer. After providing them those details, I added that letter. Surely someone will read it.
It is good to know that there are likeminded individuals who are willing to speak their mind. Don't they have a separate office in the central Government to look in to complaints where companies do not deliver what they promise. We need activist like you in India to kick these morons between their legs. May be you can create a separate website where every one put their grievances for every one to read before subscribing to the service of private companies.

You mentioned the speed of your service was not as per advertised. Can you tell me how I can measure the speed of my service as well in Canada?

Thank you.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles