Reforming Hinduism

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Hinduism which is already ok if followed by intelligence, You are saying indirectly reforming the way of today`s society which is indeed needed..

But bringing change to improve need changes from very basis root of the system which is not so easy as you mentioned above..
Hinduism may be good for you, but for the hundreds of millions who still suffer terribly from its curse are unlikely to share your optimism.

The "if you follow it correctly it's great" concept pretty much applies to all religions. However if the majority of the people are still suffering, then there's something wrong. Hinduism has some serious problems particularly due to its innate spirit of exclusivity and this clearly reflects in India's vast discrepancy between the haves and the have nots.

This however can be changed, again the best examples I could state are Mormonism and the various Christian denominations in the USA which started off as blatantly anti-black. Mormons believed that black skin was a curse and all blacks go to hell simply by the virtue of their skin; and of course devout protestants of the south were prolific slave owners who didn't consider blacks as human beings. But in time this changed all the exclusive doctrines were reversed and the church became a great solace for the extremely troubled community.

Hinduism has done wrong by many of its adherents and unless this is fixed there will be no real progress. I have written many posts about how most of India's perennial problems can only be fixed with various social movements; and reformation of Hinduism is one of the most important components. The first step would be for the people who aren't burdened by the curse of Hinduism (like most of you on this website) to realize that there is something wrong. When you have a severely hierarchical society where the bottom of the pyramid has been completely stripped of all hope, change can only come from the top.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Hinduism may be good for you, but for the hundreds of millions who still suffer terribly from its curse are unlikely to share your optimism.

The "if you follow it correctly it's great" concept pretty much applies to all religions. However if the majority of the people are still suffering, then there's something wrong. Hinduism has some serious problems particularly due to its innate spirit of exclusivity and this clearly reflects in India's vast discrepancy between the haves and the have nots.
That is nothing to do with religion but culprits and thugs who mold religion for there own benefits and brain wash the weak..

Now to my above statement, What you are talking ? :

1. You want to modify the written codes in religious books ?

2. You want to hold on those who use it for wrong doings by making there own rules in name of religion ?

ani82v

Country flag
That is nothing to do with religion but culprits and thugs who mold religion for there own benefits and brain wash the weak..

Now to my above statement, What you are talking ? :

1. You want to modify the written codes in religious books ?

2. You want to hold on those who use it for wrong doings by making there own rules in name of religion ?
@Energon, even if you write a sublime set of rules which incorporate humanist/rational and militarist values, do you think anybody will follow it?
Indic religions/culture is like a stream of river which will either get encroached or will change the tide as per the situations automatically over centuries.
You will not achieve anything by incorporating new codes which nobody is going to follow.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
you mean to say other religious societies do not have suffer from that curse. Christianinity is afar most ahead of the list as in Africa and Latin America.

Tell me that single religious group or society under which majority does not suffer.

This however can be changed, again the best examples I could state are Mormonism and the various Christian denominations in the USA which started off as blatantly anti-black. Mormons believed that black skin was a curse and all blacks go to hell simply by the virtue of their skin; and of course devout protestants of the south were prolific slave owners who didn't consider blacks as human beings. But in time this changed all the exclusive doctrines were reversed and the church became a great solace for the extremely troubled community.
you mean they brought up the standards of the majority of the lot.. or they simple put balm to the pain...

Hinduism has done wrong by many of its adherents and unless this is fixed there will be no real progress. I have written many posts about how most of India's perennial problems can only be fixed with various social movements; and reformation of Hinduism is one of the most important components. The first step would be for the people who aren't burdened by the curse of Hinduism (like most of you on this website) to realize that there is something wrong. When you have a severely hierarchical society where the bottom of the pyramid has been completely stripped of all hope, change can only come from the top.
Hinduism is a very vast canvass with multiplicity, pluralist ideas, freedom and freedom of choice of method of following a life style. Social prcatice, like in England or in USA can be ascribed to a religion. Socio economic practices like slavery or caste emanate from the economic stricture and needs for continuation of a particular economic system.

Do not blame a religious stem for it. For example nothing has changed in the economic system of Pakistan by adoption of Islam. The remain as opressed, as hungry and as deprived as they were earlier.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Hinduism is perhaps the most flexible and liberal religion

Nothing is forced or imposed on anybody

What ails our Hindu society is casteism and gender discrimination

However these are SOCIAL problems and not religious problems

And with rapid economic growth and urbanisation and increased education
Every society changes ; and social problems do get resolved

pankaj nema

Country flag
We should see how rigid and backward Hindu society was in say 1950s

For that you must ask the elders in your family about how society
was in those days

For instance so many people especially women who lost out on education in
the earlier times have ensured that their daughters do get educated

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
We should see how rigid and backward Hindu society was in say 1950s

For that you must ask the elders in your family about how society
was in those days

For instance so many people especially women who lost out on education in
the earlier times have ensured that their daughters do get educated

Rigidity as also sometimes flexibility comes in a sense of survival.
The Instinct of survival against such blatant onslaughts like 300 years of Islam and 200 years of Christianity must introduce its negative consequences.

It is a wonder Hindus still survive !!

amitkriit

How about writing the fifth Veda?:rock::hookah: Time to so some serious writing.
Nobody is stopping you, I am sure nobody will kill you for heeding to the voice of satan in your head, in fact there is no concept of satan in Hinduism.

ani82v

Country flag
I will not write it. I will collect the funds and commission it to get it written by Chetan Bhagat, Arundhati Roy, etc. Foreword will be written by Harsh Mander. Translation to Sanskrit will be done by Wendy Doniger.:namaste:
Om Shanti.

Nobody is stopping you, I am sure nobody will kill you for heeding to the voice of satan in your head, in fact there is no concept of satan in Hinduism.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Vedas...

Has one come across the words " so I heard".. and
"so I remember"..

those are shruties and smirties....

those are not written but are recollections and reflections, particularly the first one Rik Veda....

Last edited:

agentperry

i think dominancy of priest should go and with this many of the ills like untouchability and other practices will go away this will greatly bring up thsi religion but here one thing should be noted that more imp than this is to separate religion from politics else we will become something like pakistan

amitkriit

i think dominancy of priest should go and with this many of the ills like untouchability and other practices will go away this will greatly bring up thsi religion but here one thing should be noted that more imp than this is to separate religion from politics else we will become something like pakistan
Church and state was always separate in India, even when India did not have any non-Hindus.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Let's be practical.Before Sanskrit we need to first learn PROPER Hindi since lot of Hindi words came from Sanskrit.
Not really. Hindi has very few Sanskrit words. Its a bastard language of Sanskrit and Persian. People mistakenly think it has more Sanskrit words because it uses the Devanagari script

High "Hindu" philosophical works are not the Gita or the Ramayana, but Upanishads and Vedanta. These texts are in Sanskrit and very difficult for the common man to understand.

Anyways this is a moot point. Hindi is slowly (also imperceptibly) being Sanskritized.

Everything you said has already been done by arya samaj..
For all practical purposes Arya Samaj is dead.

Hinduism which is already ok if followed by intelligence, You are saying indirectly reforming the way of today`s society which is indeed needed..
Does not compute. This argument can be said about other religion

If people can find energy to constantly cry about other religions poaching their adherents and then engage in mob violence and murder to blatantly violate the supposedly reformed laws, surely they can try for reform.
+1

Most "Hindus" are busy in their whining, impotent rage and Islam bashing.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indeed, All religion guide towards the righteous path in there own way..

Unfortunately, Now days religions remain based on there difference..

Arya Samaj is dead.
Nothing dies as long as its exsistance is recorded..

It always reappear in new form in new name..

Sabir

DFI TEAM
The Constitution is the fifth Veda...

Zebra

Country flag
Not really. Hindi has very few Sanskrit words. Its a bastard language of Sanskrit and Persian. People mistakenly think it has more Sanskrit words because it uses the Devanagari script

High "Hindu" philosophical works are not the Gita or the Ramayana, but Upanishads and Vedanta. These texts are in Sanskrit and very difficult for the common man to understand.

Anyways this is a moot point. Hindi is slowly (also imperceptibly) being Sanskritized.

For all practical purposes Arya Samaj is dead.

+1

Most "Hindus" are busy in their whining, impotent rage and Islam bashing.
I think Urdu has influence of Persian, not Hindi.

BTW, who cares about Upanishads and Vedanta?

Even the Lord himself send Narad to convey this message to the writer of Vedas, that write something directly about him, (I mean something about the lord).

Vedas are too lengthy. Takes too much effort and time to get the final destiny.

That is why the lord himself suggested to go through much shorter way and which is much more effective also.

That is........ 'Shrimad Bhagwat'. Go through it and will find the final destiny and even much more.

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
Ya keep on Reforming Hinduism it's good for all :)

As Hinduism is threatened every where and they dont have a place to go and call their own nation. So please reform Hinduism i am with it :fear:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Ya keep on Reforming Hinduism it's good for all :)

As Hinduism is threatened every where and they dont have a place to go and call their own nation. So please reform Hinduism i am with it :fear:

Reforming Hinduism with Christianity and Islam backed by Swords? Not a bad idea.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles