Red tape, graft mean India not such a super market for Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by t_co, Jul 9, 2013.

1. t_co

t_co Senior Member Senior Member

Red tape, graft mean India not such a super market for Wal-Mart - The Economic Times

I remember Raj - bright, dedicated, ballsy guy. These bureaucratic delays must be truly nightmarish if not even his talent and the strength of Wal-Mart can make it work.

3. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

Nightmarish is close. Reality for those on the receiving end (like this Raj guy) could have been even worse.

In China: You know whom to pay, how & how much.....So, You pay (to the movers & shakers), you job is done.

In India: You have to pay to multiple entities (& no matter, how much you pay, they would come back for more).......So, you still pay (to all & sundry), but still keep praying to your Gods, that you file moves from this table to the next.

Proclaiming that it is much worse for the Indian laymen would be a huge understatement.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Walmart was never welcome.

5. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

Sir, Walmart could have been beneficial in setting up an efficient retail supply-chain. We loose nearly 40% of food-stuff in India due to this lacuna.

They were a potential blessing for the farmers & consumers. The hegemony/cartel they are accused of forming over demand-supply & market-prices, is out & out gain for agriculturists + consumers.

Only the middlemen/distributor would have been adversely affected. But, they are one of the strongest lobbies in India & major contributors to all political parties.

Small retailers (Mom-n-Pops) shop would never go out of business in India. Such apprehensions are decidedly, unfounded. It has been proven all over the world. Despite the occasional protests, majority of the nations have benefited in them. It is a loss for us, as much as it is for them.

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I wonder if they will waste money on setting up hermetically sealed warehouses or cold storage/

Check their activities in Mexico and Thailand.

Wasn't great IIRC.

As it is I go to Spencers where I can buy with a credit card and the cereals etc are well packaged, The Mom and Pop that I used to go to is losing out.

Even the vegetables are cleaned, washed (hopefully not waxed or varnished) and so one buys there than going to the Mom and Pop retailer in the market.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013