Red means GO??

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Was in mumbai last week. I travelled quite a lot there by road and was surprised to see scant regard for traffic rules. Jumping of red signal was rampant. On many occasions I was forced to jump by those behind me with their honking and shouting. Truly unbelievable in the financial capital. Because of this lack of respect for rules traffic jams were the order of the day. Those who jumped red ended up blocking the road for those who were good to go with green. Has a ripple effect. Had a very tiring time driving in Mumbai. An 8kms drive at 8pm took me hour and a half!!!

A.V.

A Common Situation in many major Indian cities , although i have been to blr its good there generally

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Was in mumbai last week. I travelled quite a lot there by road and was surprised to see scant regard for traffic rules. Jumping of red signal was rampant. On many occasions I was forced to jump by those behind me with their honking and shouting. Truly unbelievable in the financial capital. Because of this lack of respect for rules traffic jams were the order of the day. Those who jumped red ended up blocking the road for those who were good to go with green. Has a ripple effect. Had a very tiring time driving in Mumbai. An 8kms drive at 8pm took me hour and a half!!!
Its is the stress of trying to get to work at time, bigger cities have become more impatient. I live in a smaller town now and after living in Chennai which faces the same impatients, cutting lines, jumping signals. I was surprised to notice that people in smaller towns dont jump lights and dont cut as much as in bigger cities. There is a lot less traffic here and the roads are quite big to accommodate the traffic. So there not much hustle, i my self have been noticing this recently.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Always in hurry to reach office, always in hurry to get out of there. They are in fear to get late all the time. People in Mumbai feel no peace due to excessive load on commutation arrangements.

Traffic sense is missing all over Indian roads. This calls for social discipline. But when we are talking of discipline, reliable transportation is required so they can trust the system.

For now its utter chaos. Makes me loose faith in humanity while driving on Pune roads.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I know the feeling. I get pissed off seeing the same here in Delhi.
I believe it has more to do with the upbringing and social etiquette, regardless of the income group or region.
Its also related to the rural urban divide where things happen very differently on either sides. Then it gets worse when people cross over to the other side of the line. On a daily basis I deal with vehicles on the wrong side rushing towards me on a well divided 100 feet road.
Half of these people have started doing so because if they don't, the unruly mob on the roads would anyways make life difficult for them and the disciplined ones could forget about reaching destination on time. So you either be the good guy and get bogged down or you join the bad guys to meet your ends.

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
But you know what, it's precisely the breaking of rules that creates more jams.
This is what happens. One guy jumps, seeing him a couple more. If this has one or two heavy vehicles like buses and the side they are moving to already has heavy traffic which forces them to stop right in front of you while you wait for the light to go green. And the light goes green for you, but you can't move because the one who jumped signal is in front of you blocking your way.

And the cycle continues.

Koovie

is this anything new? We have the worst traffic in the world but luckly the best drivers too, so the number of dead people who died in accidents is 120.000. Compared to 1.2 billion people this isnt sooo bad I think.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
is this anything new? We have the worst traffic in the world but luckly the best drivers too, so the number of dead people who died in accidents is 120.000. Compared to 1.2 billion people this isnt sooo bad I think.
We are plain lucky. Nothing about us being good drivers. Saw some horrific accidents on my way back. In fact last night, a truck was speeding in the wrong side. Luckily I saw it within time to take evasive action. Hughes of irresponsibility.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles