Recruitment and Minority representation in RAW

KS

Bye bye DFI
I have heard some info that recruitment into RAW ( Research and Analysis Wing ) is not open source and only people of certain religions (Hindu/Sikh to be precise) are considered for it.

Is there any truth in it ?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I have heard some info that recruitment into RAW is not open source and only people of certain religions (Hindu/Sikh to be precise) are considered for it.

Is there any truth in it ?
I can confirm there are Muslims in RAW and IB ( atleast used to be in the noughties (00-09) )

However, Sikhs and Muslims are not present in NSG and SPG.

Edit - in personal, sensitive and/or other security details, they are in administrative, intel etc positions

Last edited:
Reactions: KS

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
most of our agents in pakistan are pure muslims and few are sikhs in punjab/lahore area.

pakistanis can easily identify you if you are not muslim just by looking at your penis. (i m serious). that's why most of our spies and agents are muslims in pakistan.. it is very common sense

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
most of our agents in pakistan are pure muslims and few are sikhs in punjab/lahore area.

pakistanis can easily identify you if you are not muslim just by looking at your penis. (i m serious). that's why most of our spies and agents are muslims in pakistan.. it is very common sense
I seriously doubt if our "agents" personally get down and dirty in Pakistan.

And I am not sure if Pakistani Muslims look up their fellow mens genitals with any regularity but you never know I guess.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I can confirm there are Muslims in RAW and IB ( atleast used to be in the noughties (00-09) )

However, Sikhs and Muslims are not present in NSG and SPG.
SPG... I can understand the rationale...but why NSG .. ?

Poseidon

Country flag
SPG... I can understand the rationale...but why NSG .. ?
There are Muslims and Sikhs in both SPG and NSG but they are few in numbers.

Manmohan Singh Can't Have A Sikh Bodyguard

Or for that matter, a Muslim. The SPG, NSG don't hire them.

It is the unwritten rule that no official wants to talk about openly. Our secular democracy does not deploy Muslims or Sikhs to protect its VVIPs. While Muslims were always under suspicion, the Sikhs got blacklisted after Indira Gandhi's assassination in 1984 by her personal bodyguards who were Sikh.

It is ironic that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, a Sikh, has no brethren from his own community detailed in the security cordon around him.

As no state organisation can bar persons of a particular community, the SPG does employ a few Muslims and Sikhs. But they are kept off personal security.

Officials of the Special Protection Group (SPG), established in 1984 for providing security to prime ministers, have ensured that neither Sikhs or Muslims are employed as bodyguards to VVIPs .

Sources in the security set-up confirm there exists an unwritten code which is complied with diligently. Points out an official: "When it comes to VVIP security, we cannot take any chances, especially since the country has lost two of its prime ministers to brutal killings. Proximate security is the last defence, and if that is weak, how can we ensure safety of the person we've to protect?"

As far as Sikhs go, Indira Gandhi's killing and militancy in Punjab put an end to them being recruited as securitymen. Much has changed since then but the community continues to be on the blacklist. Notes a senior official in the security set-up: "It has become an established thing. To change it, someone will have stick his neck out. And if something goes wrong he will have to answer for it. Nobody is willing to take any chances." The same line of thinking holds true for Muslims. As long as terrorism from across the border does not cease, members of the community will be under a cloud. Home ministry officials say with terror strikes across the country being linked to Islamic terrorism it would be a " big risk" to put a Muslim on VVIP security.

However, since no government organisation can bar persons of any particular community the SPG does employ a few Muslims and Sikhs. But they are kept off personal security. Reveals an official: "A 3000-strong organisation like the SPG does have Muslims and Sikhs. But we ensure that they are not deployed in sensitive posts. They are posted in the administration or intelligence"

The situation is not very different in the National Security Guard (NSG)—the other force which provides security to vips. The NSG was set up in 1984 after Operation Bluestar when the Indian army stormed the Golden Temple to flush out Sikh militants. The need was felt for creating a special force to conduct counter-terrorist operations with greater efficiency. The NSG was first deployed to combat insurgency in Punjab. But it evolved into an anti-terrorist unit with operations in J&K and other parts of the country. And it does not have any Sikh or Muslim as bodyguards.

Over the years, its elite Black Cat commandos have also been saddled with providing security to VVIPs, other than prime ministers (present and former) and their kin. They include political leaders like former deputy PM L.K. Advani, UP CM Mulayam Singh Yadav, BSP chief Mayawati and former Tamil Nadu CM J. Jayalalitha. But none of them will be a Sikh or a Muslim.

www.outlookindia.com | Manmohan Singh Can't Have A Sikh Bodyguard

I am unable to find the links in the internet but I read in a bengali newspaper some 15-16 years back that Home Ministry also didn't want Tamils in sensitive positions in SPG after Rajiv Gandhi's assasination.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There is a problem.

Supposing a VVIP is killed.

There would be a huge backlash and organisation blamed.

It is nothing but a CYA!

KS

Bye bye DFI
Serious ? I just don't understand the rationale.
You want me to spell out ? An unfortunate reminder of past.

Though I personally feel when you can trust a Sikh with the nuclear weapon (PM) why not in the SPG/NSG ?

That's not SPG...Its Para rgt and the person in pic is not a Sikh.

Last edited:

Poseidon

Country flag

It is known that most of our spies in Pakistan are from Punjab like from Dadwan & Kang in Gurdaspur.

BTW did you guys know one of our spies was martyred in Pakistan 80's when he mistakenly used ram ram bhaya instead of Assalamu Alaikum!

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
I am unable to find the links in the internet but I read in a bengali newspaper some 15-16 years back that Home Ministry also didn't want Tamils in sensitive positions in SPG after Rajiv Gandhi's assasination.
LMAO...Who cares..they are missing out on our services. Though the person in question was not a part of the security details and no friggin security detail can provide protection against a bomb.

But I personally think the Sikhs should not be held victim to terrorist action of some of their co-religionists in the past.

Poseidon

Country flag
But I personally think the Sikhs should not be held victim to terrorist action of some of their co-religionists in the past.
I agree with this.But Indian Babus are still stuck in the colonial era thought process.
For Eg:JFK was killed by a former marine but that didn't stop US from recruiting Marines in Secret Service.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
You want me to spell out ? An unfortunate reminder of past.

Though I personally feel when you can trust a Sikh with the nuclear weapon (PM) why not in the SPG/NSG ?
But I personally think the Sikhs should not be held victim to terrorist action of some of their co-religionists in the
past.

You can trust Minorities with protection of the nation, running the nation, representing the nation, defending the nation but not with protection of the politicians ?

And I don't think it'll be wise after what Harvinder Singh and Tajinder Singh hav done.

If you are referring to Gandhi's bodyguards - SGPC, SAD and Akal Takht have declared them martyrs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vishalreddy3 Military Training and Recruitment Indian Army 47
SexyChineseLady PLA Recruitment Videos! China 16
A chauhan Recruitment of Civilians in Indian Army ? Indian Army 11
SexyChineseLady Chinese Navy Recruitment Video China 0

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles