Rebirth of Catapult artillery system with Arjun Chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot

Country flag
BTW JUGAAD is an internationally acclaimed management model called "Just-In-Time Management"
No Arnab both are different, JIT is supply chain management concept to manage the inventory & cost management. While JUGAD is making the arrangement to serve the purpose for the time being in abscence of proper equipmement/tools. JUGAD is somthing which work till it works & it is for contigency situations as same it unreliable. Do we have any contingency like some imminent war?

Dinesh_Kumar

*****CROSS POST FROM ARTILLERY THREAD*********
130mm Arjun based SP Catapult Gun seen on CVRDE website

http://i.imgur.com/qYNGOEn.png

This is a good development, Jugaad tech. In future, it is easier to upgun to 155mm than procure a new 155mm. And with desi FCS, the end product may be quite good, actually.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Oh yes, pardon me, I meant "frugal engineering" and don't know why I typed JIT instead.

No Arnab both are different, JIT is supply chain management concept to manage the inventory & cost management. While JUGAD is making the arrangement to serve the purpose for the time being in abscence of proper equipmement/tools. JUGAD is somthing which work till it works & it is for contigency situations as same it unreliable. Do we have any contingency like some imminent war?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Arjun 130 mm gun: DRDO tastes success

Feasibility study of mounting 130 mm Catapult Gun on Arjun Chassis Mk-I was carried out in May- June 2012. The technical study concluded that upgradation of the existing Catapult on the chassis could be carried out in a very short time and the equipment capabilities increased.

A date in the month of November, 2012 was fixed by the DG (artillery) for the first field trial. The CVRDE, Avadi, took up the challenge after they were given a spare gun system to mount on the Arjun, Mk I in July, 2012. The trials were held between 27 November to 3 December 2012. The Arjun mounted chassis outmatched Vijayanta by a large margin, also in the test for stability, while firing charged rounds.

The developmental trials were held between 31 July to 13 August, 2013 during the summer. Arjun Catapult was fitted with two sets of Goegraphical Positioning System and one Gyro used in Arjun Mk-I during these trials. Driver's Night Vision Device (DNS) and Commanders' night sight (HHTI) were also successfully tested. It was also provided with fire fighting system based on Instant Fire Detection Suppression System as existing in Arjun Mk-I tanks.

The Arjun Catapult was run for about 500 kms during this trial and subjected to maximum intense and sustained firings.

'The firings and mobility trials were absolutely smooth which gave full confidence to the users as well as the development agency, that the requirement of Arjun Catapult of artillery would soon be a reality. It is expected that the user trials based on General Staff Qualitative Requirement (GSQR) would be held in November-December 2013, and 40 Catapult Guns would be inducted by the army,' a senior DRDO official stated.

Source : Arjun 130 mm gun: DRDO tastes success | Millennium Post

============================================

They must upgrade it soon with 155mm / 45cal after the induction carried out, Hope to see its own crane with the Gun ..

prateikf

Country flag
The catapult system is indeed a sad part of the artillery acquisition process. The M-46 is a field gun inducted in the 1950's. It;s maximum range is around 40km. This catapult system is easily outranged and outclassed by Pakistan's American supplied SPH's. I wish the Bhim had been inducted with the Denel gun with its maximum range of 70km.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Arjun 130 mm gun: DRDO tastes success

Feasibility study of mounting 130 mm Catapult Gun on Arjun Chassis Mk-I was carried out in May- June 2012. The technical study concluded that upgradation of the existing Catapult on the chassis could be carried out in a very short time and the equipment capabilities increased.

A date in the month of November, 2012 was fixed by the DG (artillery) for the first field trial. The CVRDE, Avadi, took up the challenge after they were given a spare gun system to mount on the Arjun, Mk I in July, 2012. The trials were held between 27 November to 3 December 2012. The Arjun mounted chassis outmatched Vijayanta by a large margin, also in the test for stability, while firing charged rounds.

The developmental trials were held between 31 July to 13 August, 2013 during the summer. Arjun Catapult was fitted with two sets of Goegraphical Positioning System and one Gyro used in Arjun Mk-I during these trials. Driver's Night Vision Device (DNS) and Commanders' night sight (HHTI) were also successfully tested. It was also provided with fire fighting system based on Instant Fire Detection Suppression System as existing in Arjun Mk-I tanks.

The Arjun Catapult was run for about 500 kms during this trial and subjected to maximum intense and sustained firings.

'The firings and mobility trials were absolutely smooth which gave full confidence to the users as well as the development agency, that the requirement of Arjun Catapult of artillery would soon be a reality. It is expected that the user trials based on General Staff Qualitative Requirement (GSQR) would be held in November-December 2013, and 40 Catapult Guns would be inducted by the army,' a senior DRDO official stated.

Source : Arjun 130 mm gun: DRDO tastes success | Millennium Post

They must upgrade it soon with 155mm / 45cal after the induction carried out, Hope to see its own crane with the Gun ..
True that. But my reason for saying so is that the industry standard for precision guided munitions is the 155 mm round. In any case, the very high expense of a GPS/INS/GLONASS guided round cannot be justified on a 130 mm artillery shell. The destructive power would not be proportional to the costs involved.

Some might say the change is mere 25mm, less than an inch, but that one inch increment gives a 40% increase in volume of the round. That's 40% extra explosive that can be stored into the munitions.

And that 40% matters

Pandora

Country flag
@Kunal Sir, what is difference between Catapult artillery system and SPH?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Right now, We have nothing thnx to corruption at mammoth scale in defense, Iran is restricted from sanctions and we are coz of corruption ..

30 years are wasted behind RFI tenders which may result in loss of life again in mammoth scale for us, if there is a war ..

Now we must We must focus on improvising things we have ..

=======================
=======================

130mm M46 does fire shells at 39kms but highly inaccurate compare to a 155mm of 45cal, But as the article says Army did this coz it will take lesser

time to do this upgrade, In future they might mount a 155mm of 45cal gun ( Upgraded 130mm with OFB barrel kit ) ..

=======================
=======================

Catapult is a open system ( Expose Gun crew ) , Its loading is also manual, FCS and every thing is what comes with the Gun itself ..

SPGH is a closed system ( Ar mound ) , Its loading is automatic, Has sophisticated FCS including balletic computer and etc electronics ..

Sir, Jugad is Ok rather very good when we do not have options or money.

When there are so many good options available why to rest with this, that too after so much delay. Even, we do not know how this jugad is going to work in the actual battle field against the modern Guns. Heck, even beggar pakistanis have better SPH than us even in greater numbers as well.
True that. But my reason for saying so is that the industry standard for precision guided munitions is the 155 mm round. In any case, the very high expense of a GPS/INS/GLONASS guided round cannot be justified on a 130 mm artillery shell. The destructive power would not be proportional to the costs involved.

Some might say the change is mere 25mm, less than an inch, but that one inch increment gives a 40% increase in volume of the round. That's 40% extra explosive that can be stored into the munitions.

And that 40% matters
The catapult system is indeed a sad part of the artillery acquisition process. The M-46 is a field gun inducted in the 1950's. It;s maximum range is around 40km. This catapult system is easily outranged and outclassed by Pakistan's American supplied SPH's. I wish the Bhim had been inducted with the Denel gun with its maximum range of 70km.
@Kunal Sir, what is difference between Catapult artillery system and SPH?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles