Reactor Goes Critical Indian N-Sub Ready For Sea

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Reactor Goes Critical, 1st Indian N-Sub Ready For Sea

Great news overnight: Its 83MW pressurized water reactor finally going critical, India's first indigenous nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine Arihant is finally ready to leave harbour and enter a phase of sea trials in the Bay of Bengal.

With ballistic missiles and air delivery in place, the Arihant and its sister boats (India plans to build three, with the second hull already ready) will form the final leg of India's nuclear deterrent triad.

Congratulations too all scientists on the Arihant programme, Indian Navy DRDO, Dept of Atomic Energy and Shipbuilding Centre, Visakhapatnam. Shano Varuna!:cool2:

Source : http://www.livefistdefence.com/2013/08/reactor-goes-critical-1st-indian-n-sub.html

kseeker

Retired
Kudos to everyone who were responsible for this great achievement !

dealwithit

If we are capable of developing nuclear capable SUB... Is there any chance india will build nuclear aircraft carrier in near future.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
i would love to see it firing shaurya missile :gangnam:

kurup

Country flag
If we are capable of developing nuclear capable SUB... Is there any chance india will build nuclear aircraft carrier in near future.
Yes , we will build it once we are able to develope a nuclear reactor in the range of 200MW power output .

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Search wikipedia for Typhoon class nuclear submarine.:shocked: We should build this submarine in the future.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Search wikipedia for Typhoon class nuclear submarine.:shocked: We should build this submarine in the future.
Nope. Too expensive, crazy maintenance costs. In short - not worth it. Russia also decommissioning the ones that were operational.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Nope. Too expensive, crazy maintenance costs. In short - not worth it. Russia also decommissioning the ones that were operational.
Well......... I agree with you. The Typhoon class were meant against NATO countries during Cold War in case World War 3 broke out. I am not saying we should build this submarine at all costs but our scientists and engineers in DRDO should think of new ideas in defence technologies so that we don't have to take help from other countries such as Russia or France.

I am happy that there are some people in India who are thinking of nuclear propulsion for aircraft carriers because they know nothing is impossible and it is possible to build these weapons by Indians.

Compersion

Country flag
A few Nuclear power aircraft carriers can reach South China Sea without refuelling. Does that make the cost reduced and reward on the calculation side : ) I would get three nuclear power aircraft carriers at minimum. The first one will be like the way we did arihant (with two more nuclear subs following). same approach. also our demography and naval structure alone sanctions it.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Yes , we will build it once we are able to develope a nuclear reactor in the range of 200MW power output .
~200 MW reactors power super-carriers like the Nimitz-class. It sounds a bit overpowered for a ~40,000 tonne carrier with ~2,000 crew.

kurup

Country flag
~200 MW reactors power super-carriers like the Nimitz-class. It sounds a bit overpowered for a ~40,000 tonne carrier with ~2,000 crew.
No , Nimitz class is actually powered by two 550 MWt reactors .

Also , the french charles de gualle AC with 42,000 tonne full load is powered by two 150 MWt reactors .

Also IAC2 is rumoured to be around 65,000 tonne .

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
No , Nimitz class is actually powered by two 550 MWt reactors .

Also , the french charles de gualle AC with 42,000 tonne full load is powered by two 150 MWt reactors .

Also IAC2 is rumoured to be around 65,000 tonne .
You're talking about megawatt thermal (MWth), I'm talking about megawatt power output at the shaft, which is what people evaluating ship propulsion use. Nimitz-class uses two Westinghouse A4Ws that each produce 104 MW at the shaft, ~200 MW together.

kurup

Country flag
You're talking about megawatt thermal (MWth), I'm talking about megawatt power output at the shaft, which is what people evaluating ship propulsion use. Nimitz-class uses two Westinghouse A4Ws that each produce 104 MW at the shaft, ~200 MW together.
OK , I was talking about the reactor power not output of the shaft .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles