Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh plans to launch app to pull youth

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Rashna, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Rashna

Rashna Senior Member Senior Member

Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh plans to launch app to pull youth

NEW DELHI: The Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh wants to change the perception that it is a mysterious organisation which encourages fringe Hindutva elements and try to control the BJP-led government.

In an effort to reach out to the tech-savvy younger population, RSS has developed an application for Android phones and gadgets that gives the user a complete picture of the organization through the years, the work it does, its motives, methods and aim. "It basically answers all questions and doubts that people have about the Sangh. It is not a demon operating in the shadows but a publicspirited nationalist organisation.

The aim of the app is to demystify the RSS," explained a Sangh leader. Launched on March 16, the app has already been downloaded by an approximately 50,000 users. Easy to navigate, the user interface of the app is neat even as the background colour remains predominantly saffron.

Sangh spokesperson Manmohan Vaidya told ET that though it was not an official RSS app, it was extremely useful in giving an insight into the working of the organization. "It has been developed by a karyakarta," he said.

The user-friendly app gives the history of the organisation, locates the nearest shakha for the user, gives details of training there through uploaded videos, has a 'panchaang' (the Hindu ritual calendar), Sangh news, songs, leaders and wallpapers. Developed by Santosh Kimothia Swayamsevak, the app is the result of brainstorming at weekly IT Milans organised by the Sangh in cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi and Gurgaon. Sangh leader in charge of IT Vikram Deshpande told ET that there was a lot of curiosity about the RSS and its work.

"We are getting a lot of queries from the youth about the RSS who want to join it. The trend is growing fast. There are a lot of swayamsevaks, who are IT experts and converge at the IT milans. They decided to come out with a few apps to increase awareness about the Sangh and its activities," he said.

maomao and sorcerer like this.
  3. Rashna

Is the Sangh's answer to Jehadi Propaganda or is the Sangh itself propagating a radical agenda?

4. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Can't you just leave it? RSS is not radical. It is quite orthodox and traditional, but it is not radical. Bajrang Dal or VHP is radical, but RSS is not. If you can show me when RSS did anything that can be called radical. Sometimes it come out as bigoted for my taste, but I have never heard or seen any proof wherein RSS actively endorsed violence. It takes some hard steps, but that is pure survival instinct. RSS is just too benign for its own good.

DingDong and maomao like this.
  5. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Things mentioned in the article:

1. The Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh wants to change the perception that it is a mysterious organisation which encourages fringe Hindutva elements and try to control the BJP-led government.
    2. "It basically answers all questions and doubts that people have about the Sangh. It is not a demon operating in the shadows but a publicspirited nationalist organisation."
    3. The user-friendly app gives the history of the organisation, locates the nearest shakha for the user, gives details of training there through uploaded videos, has a 'panchaang' (the Hindu ritual calendar), Sangh news, songs, leaders and wallpapers

Your comment
    1. Jehadi Propaganda?
    2. radical agenda?

The whole question has been literally answered in the first paragraph of the article that you posted. Its like you guys pick up a few buzzwords and then steer the discourse in a direction that fits your narrative. This is tiring.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    alphacentury, WMD, VIP and 3 others like this.
  6. Rashna

Fellow members my great-grandfather has played host to the founder of RSS, Golwalkar Guruji. I do not question their nationalism nor do i say they promote violence. That said RSS is a hard-core Hindutva Proponent which on its own is fine, but coupled with politics could be a little too heavy to handle. What concerns me , is the RSS of today the RSS that Modi joined? Mohan Bhagwat has been making some controversial remarks of late. I don't know if you guys are aware that a sikh group has filed a case in a US court asking for RSS to be declared a terrorist outfit. Given that India is a secular country and we are proud of being thus, BJP especially because of its RSS lineage needs to be worried about its image. The RSS also needs to come up to speed with the changing ethos and re-model its nationalistic goals to fit modern values.

JALANDHAR: Days before President Obama's India visit, a US-based rights group has put the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) in the dock in New York.

The rights body Sikhs For Justice (SFJ) on Wednesday moved the New York district court, seeking to declare the RSS as a 'Foreign Terrorist Organization' and the court has asked US secretary of state John Kerry to submit a reply within 60 days.

The SFJ had earlier filed a rights violation complaint against Congress president Sonia Gandhi for protecting perpetrators of 1984 anti-Sikh massacre which was later quashed.

The SFJ wants the US to declare RSS as a terror organization "for believing in and practising a fascist ideology and running a passionate, vicious and violent campaign to turn India into a Hindu nation with a homogeneous religious and cultural identity". The case has been assigned to Judge Swain.

The lawsuit comes ahead of US President Obama's India visit to attend the 65th Republic Day celebrations.

The plea has cited 'Ghar Wapsi' programme of Sangh affiliates and compared it to "convert or die" call of Boko Haram, the Nigerian terror outfit.

In support of its arguments, the SFJ also mentions in the plaint demolition of Babri masjid, Gujarat riots of 2002, killing of Mahatma Gandhi by Nathuram Godse apart from the ban imposed on the RSS by the government thrice in the past. It also quoted RSS leaders saying that all Indians were Hindus.

"RSS along with its affiliates and subsidiaries be designated as foreign terror organisations in accordance with Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act and designate RSS as a specially designated global terrorist entity," says the plea.

The complaint also alleges that a movement towards 'Hinduizing India' is being funded by non-profit groups in the United States.

Defending the suit, SFJ's legal advisor Gurpatwant Singh Pannun stated that "minorities were being targeted by RSS with new zeal ever since Narendra Modi became the Prime Minister.
    Stay updated on the go with Times of India News App. Click here to download it for your device.

More from The Times of India

7. jus

jus Senior Member Senior Member

Iss sajish ke peechey some tech savvy&chankya ka hath hai :p aka Modi-Shah (or) modern day Maurya Empire

From last 2 yrs I feel these duo influencing RSS more than RSS on them

8. Rashna

Hahaha, no saazish this is in the DNA.

9. jus

jus Senior Member Senior Member

This is what i said,RSS influenced by Modi-shah,of-course both follow Hindutva.

There is a reason I always call Modi govt as Maurya empire.

It is based on ideology (hindutva)
    Chanakya-shah.
    Private army RSS/VHP etc
    Not but not least Strategists Swamy&Doval :D

Rashna likes this.
  10. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

I hate to do this because it is irrelevant to the debate, but let me qualify my post with this:

RSS is not a political party. They influence politics way less than the Church influences it in Kerala.

Irrelevant. I don't care what US citizens do.

It is a really low tactic to bring this up in a discussion though, this is circular reasoning 101 (I think X is a terrorist because I had once accused him of being a terrorist).

BJP needs to worry about economy like it is doing, this 'secularism is in danger' hype is only because it has cost several people who had made a living out of draining the country dry their livelihood. Don't you see how all the sleeper cells have suddenly activated?

Hence the 'app' mentioned in the article that you posted.

Now let us stay on the topic of the app(which I am not interested in, frankly) instead of making this thread another RSS hitjob.

Mad Indian and mayfair like this.
  11. AnantS

AnantS Senior Member Senior Member

Sikh Groups who vehemently oppose RSS are also the ones who support Bhindrwaala, Khalistan & Pakistan. Do you really want to quote that example?

Mad Indian likes this.
  12. Rashna

RSS has already given India 2 very popular Prime Ministers. How much more political do they need to be? The RSS is a training academy for politics because its single minded agenda is service of the nation. That said how many RSS cadres do you find in other political groups namely UPA, Left, etc? RSS recruits are mainly finding their way in to BJP reason being the ideology comes from RSS. So to say that RSS is apolitical isn't right. They have also become very vocal after the current thumping majority that BJP won. Why do you think this is happening? Were the two divorced from each other the RSS and BJP would not be seen as one entity at all. Semantics aside perception and reality both point towards a common root.

The US has banned many organizations because of religious affiliations. Let us not forget that they denied Mr.Modi a visa and had him placed on the no fly list. I do not want the RSS to be labeled a terrorist organization because for us it is a nationalist outfit. But one man's nationalist is another man's terrorist. This kind of pressure could be handed down to the BJP because of its affiliation with RSS.

Why did the RSS suddenly think of de-mystifying itself? My guess is that somebody up there realizes that even the RSS needs some damage control PR. I am not on a RSS hit job, i am worried that it might land itself in some fracas because of loud mouthing.

If you aren't interested in the app its ok, i am more interested in why app? and why now?

13. jackprince

Doesn't mater anything. Most of the leaders of communists in WB - the particularly hardcore and vociferous ones- mostly are from Brahmin class. Doesn't make them any less atheist because their forefathers were priests.

Some where it is said that stagnation is akin to death. everything changes and so does RSS. It is getting more modern and lately it is finding its voice also. It realises that only deed doesn't prove anything, nor does it get recognition - but in this era of media and tech. a loud voice with less substance can be a greater one over a reasoned and measured voice. Mohan Bhagwat did not say anything that can be construed as either detrimental to communal harmony or propagating violence, unless misconstrued. He did not say anything that has not been said by others, only he being a larger persona and pro-hindutva one, media hounds fell upon his words.

Oh, we are aware. And we are also aware that those are bunch of Khalistani terrorist sympathiser who are always against Indian interest. There are several more cases filed by the same group including against PM of India and Chairperson of Congress and what not. The day India starts to ask for this guys' certificate, india would be doomed. Not all who is Sikh is a supporter of India.

India is not a secular country. It is constitutionally un-secular. As long as religion based personal law exists in India, it cannot claim to be secular. Secular means in the eyes of state all religion are same and there is no interference of religion in the state affairs. Can India claim so?

All the political parties including the communists are communal. Not standing by the majority community cannot be a sign of secularism when you start appeasing the minorities in everything. RSS lineage to BJP makes it more democratic unlike most other political parties. I dare you, name another political party in India where dynasty is not prevalent or where the most prominent persona faces opposition within the party-hierarchy like BJP, except may be Communists.

Also. what changing ethos? Be specific. I have not heard that the parameters of nationalism has changed in recent years. If so kindly enlighten us.

Mad Indian and mayfair like this.
  14. jackprince

Actually they need to be more active and pursue their goal through these people who become leaders in BJP, ACTIVELY. RSS has always pursued minimal agenda during tenure of Vajpayee, and doing the same this time around too. It is the policy of RSS to mostly let the person chosen for the job, do the job without micromanaged by RSS. That's why all those PM you mentioned, are all very strong one's - unlike Mannu or IKG.

That can be called activism, but politics is a whole new ball game. Anyway, presented that way I don't think RSS would mind this lil mistake.

That's so weird a comment. RSS has two main pillar on which it stands and that are also every cadre's primary motive - Hindutva and Hindustan. How can such people can find their place in any other party but BJP, Hindutva being anathema to them?

True. But calling it political is also not right. It can at best be called quasi-political. Otherwise by your broad definition even Sri Sri Ravishankar's Art of Living is also a political entity given how they helped the IAC movement which later became the springboard for AAP.

Because if my candidate wins representing me, of course I will be joyous, shouldn't I? Moreover, it not that RSS became more vocal, but it is media that became more of a hound and they started finding more and more issues involving RSS to air to put it in bad light.

Nobody denied their root. But, when they are from the single family, they are not twins either.

So what? Who cares for USA? as long as we have strong economy USA won't dare antagonise us. They already found, even during Mannu's time, when prodded even calm and cool mIndia can bite during Devayani fiasco.

Lets not also forget that the same USA did wine and dine the man 12 years later. It is economy which drives the nations' geo-politics, not some ideology

The backlash would be too great for naming RSS a terrorist organisation. Even Ms. Indira Gandhi, at the top her power didn't dare. This is two way game. And USA blacklisting it would not go down well with India, even if UPA is at the power given that would blacken the Indian position in geo-politics.

I answered this one before. RSS may come out as orthodox village bumkins, but they have many very bright people working under the umbrella. they understand that the time has come when people's want to information in this digital age, if not satisfied, will scorch RSS badly.

15. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

The US selectively banned organisations that did not play the ball with them and let others get away with murder. Selective persecution is their forte, their hallmark. Do read up on McCarthy. They denied Modi a visa. So? He was elected the PM of India and visited the same country last year.

That did not happen in 1992 when PVNR banned RSS, VHP and Bajrang Dal. The decision will have little legal room to stand on, in US courts.

So they should released an app when the apps became outdated? Or were you waiting for some shubh muhuratam?

16. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

It's a Nationalist voluntary organization which is against any further division of India in the name of Religion and make India stronger.

So anyone who is Nationalist can join it and no wonder a specific part of Indian community hates it to the core since their agenda is something opposite.

Got the point? Do you hate RSS to the core :wave:

[​IMG]

jackprince likes this.
  17. Rashna

@jackprince

Doesn't mater anything. Most of the leaders of communists in WB - the particularly hardcore and vociferous ones- mostly are from Brahmin class. Doesn't make them any less atheist because their forefathers were priests.

The only reason i made this point was to be clear that i have had enough exposure to RSS thinking without becoming a victim of it.

Some where it is said that stagnation is akin to death. everything changes and so does RSS. It is getting more modern and lately it is finding its voice also. It realises that only deed doesn't prove anything, nor does it get recognition - but in this era of media and tech. a loud voice with less substance can be a greater one over a reasoned and measured voice. Mohan Bhagwat did not say anything that can be construed as either detrimental to communal harmony or propagating violence, unless misconstrued. He did not say anything that has not been said by others, only he being a larger persona and pro-hindutva one, media hounds fell upon his words.

It does give others an opportunity to say "we told you so". RSS has been quietly doing its work for ages. Naturally when they start making public statements like the ones he did the media will take the bait.

Oh, we are aware. And we are also aware that those are bunch of Khalistani terrorist sympathiser who are always against Indian interest. There are several more cases filed by the same group including against PM of India and Chairperson of Congress and what not. The day India starts to ask for this guys' certificate, india would be doomed. Not all who is Sikh is a supporter of India.

Even if these groups are trouble makers, they drag RSS in to it because of its affiliation with BJP. Why else would anyone be bothered about the RSS and its activities?

India is not a secular country. It is constitutionally un-secular. As long as religion based personal law exists in India, it cannot claim to be secular. Secular means in the eyes of state all religion are same and there is no interference of religion in the state affairs. Can India claim so?

No that is because secularism in its pure form would never work in India. But being secular means not allowing any religious intervention in state affairs. I think that the lines between politics and religion are also blurred in india where caste based politics rules. Therefore we are in a way leaning towards a theocratic control of politics although on the surface we would like to be called secular.

All the political parties including the communists are communal. Not standing by the majority community cannot be a sign of secularism when you start appeasing the minorities in everything. RSS lineage to BJP makes it more democratic unlike most other political parties. I dare you, name another political party in India where dynasty is not prevalent or where the most prominent persona faces opposition within the party-hierarchy like BJP, except may be Communists.

Also. what changing ethos? Be specific. I have not heard that the parameters of nationalism has changed in recent years. If so kindly enlighten us.

Nationalism is not "swadeshi" any more for starters. It hasn't been so for a long time. We thrive on IT exports, we want to make in India but we also want to sell outside, and in the global economy many other countries would like to sell to us and would want us to open our doors to their products. The beef ban in Maharashtra is costing India 31,000 crores, is this what a secular country would do? Who drives this kind of activity? Aren't we coming back to the religious forces which have suddenly become very vocal in this country? I am a hindu but i don't support impractical decisions based on emotion rather than practicality.

Way back Mr. Kurien who was the father of the "Amul" movement had prevailed on the govt. that the cost of maintaining unproductive cattle would render cattle farming useless in a period of 5 years. If we are taking religiously motivated decisions which are going to affect us adversely then how can we take out the RSS from BJP?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  18. Rashna

Being a hindu means having an open mind . I like the RSS for their clinical devotion and discipline. I do not hate them because i think they bring dedicated people in to politics and i consider it an ideal grooming academy for strong headed politicians who can get the job done. That doesn't however condone their interference in matters of the state.

19. Rashna

Considering that the US always selectively does everything should we be giving them a bargaining chip on a platter? This will not stand in the US court because the US is playing ball with India and Modi right now. Have we forgotten the Devyani Khobragade case? The same Preet bharara is handling this case too. This time around they are batting for the RSS.

I am happy to see that they are launching an app. If more app users join the RSS the thinking will become more current too IMHO. :thumb:

20. Rashna

@jackprince

Actually they need to be more active and pursue their goal through these people who become leaders in BJP, ACTIVELY. RSS has always pursued minimal agenda during tenure of Vajpayee, and doing the same this time around too. It is the policy of RSS to mostly let the person chosen for the job, do the job without micromanaged by RSS. That's why all those PM you mentioned, are all very strong one's - unlike Mannu or IKG.

That's a good strategy, which is why i don't like this vocal interference.

That can be called activism, but politics is a whole new ball game. Anyway, presented that way I don't think RSS would mind this lil mistake.

I wouldn't mind it either, but going public about the private affiliation would only hurt both the parties. They must maintain a strict LOC btw the two entities.

That's so weird a comment. RSS has two main pillar on which it stands and that are also every cadre's primary motive - Hindutva and Hindustan. How can such people can find their place in any other party but BJP, Hindutva being anathema to them?

You said all parties have communal people in them. So i was merely pointing out that hindu mat folks are mostly in the BJP. And the rest choose minority politics. So its quid pro quo.

True. But calling it political is also not right. It can at best be called quasi-political. Otherwise by your broad definition even Sri Sri Ravishankar's Art of Living is also a political entity given how they helped the IAC movement which later became the springboard for AAP.

I disagree here.

Because if my candidate wins representing me, of course I will be joyous, shouldn't I? Moreover, it not that RSS became more vocal, but it is media that became more of a hound and they started finding more and more issues involving RSS to air to put it in bad light.

So you are saying that the candidate represents "RSS", and you are still saying RSS is apolitical?

Nobody denied their root. But, when they are from the single family, they are not twins either.

So you are in agreement on this.

So what? Who cares for USA? as long as we have strong economy USA won't dare antagonise us. They already found, even during Mannu's time, when prodded even calm and cool mIndia can bite during Devayani fiasco.

We do care about USA. We still care about H1B visa cap, we still care about nuclear deal.

Lets not also forget that the same USA did wine and dine the man 12 years later. It is economy which drives the nations' geo-politics, not some ideology

I agree its the economy and self interest ( of which USA is a master) which drives geo- politics.

The backlash would be too great for naming RSS a terrorist organisation. Even Ms. Indira Gandhi, at the top her power didn't dare. This is two way game. And USA blacklisting it would not go down well with India, even if UPA is at the power given that would blacken the Indian position in geo-politics.

Well right now its not happening, that's for sure. Can't predict about the future. The US suddenly took the afghan taliban off the bad boys list.

I answered this one before. RSS may come out as orthodox village bumkins, but they have many very bright people working under the umbrella. they understand that the time has come when people's want to information in this digital age, if not satisfied, will scorch RSS badly.

They are not bumpkins, however they are orthodox, which makes it a rather strange combination. The RSS needs an image overhaul. Maybe they should launch a USA blitzkreig.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  21. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

As far as libtards go, anything and everything no matter how pathetic it is ok in their books, if it will get them brownie points in the "debate"