Ranters all: The fatal weakness of the Hindutva troll

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Daredevil, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Homo Indicus Hindutvawadi is focus of a recently published excerpt of Ramachandra Guha’s new book, Patriots and Partisans. The rest of us know him either as the ‘Hindutva troll’ or ‘true patriot,’ a difference in perspective that says as much about the viewer as the object. And I say ‘him’ since, as Guha points out, the hyper-vocal Hindutwadi is invariably male, upper caste, and often a non-resident Indian. [Read the excerpt in Outlook here]

Guha’s dissection of the rightwing ideologue focuses primarily on the descriptive. Letters he’s received over the years are employed as evidence of his essential traits, i.e. a “deep suspicion of diversity and pluralism”; “tendency to think in black-and-white”; “insistent (if ultimately unconvincing) claim that they are history’s inevitable winners”; and “an utter lack of humour.”

Much of this — especially the lack of humour — could just as easily used to describe an ideologue of any stripe, left or right. Guha who has publicly debated Arundhati Roy both knows and acknowledges the same, opening with a reference to a debate with a Marxist. What is strikingly absent from the list, however, is the vitriolic rage that has become the signature trademark of the online right-winger around the globe. (Not having the read the book as yet, I don’t know if Guha addresses this elsewhere.)

In this part of the world, comments boards and twitter are rife with shrill rightwing rhetoric about Mozzies, sickular liberals, Congi lackeys et al, which in turn provokes equally intemperate responses. National security expert B Raman views rightwing trolls as part of a darker conspiracy:

They do not call themselves the NaMo Brigade, but they make no secret of the fact that they support NaMo as the next Prime Minister of India. Their worrisome methods, reminiscent of the methods used by the Storm Troopers, consist largely of abuse, vituperation, disinformation, character assassination and psychological pressure. Whereas the Nazi Storm Troopers did not have the benefit of the computer and the Internet, the NaMo Brigade, which has established a dominance over the means of propaganda through the Net in the absence of any opposition to their methods from secular and liberal elements, has been using the social media networks in their PSYWAR.

At the time, his not-quite-convincing analogy sparked an interesting conversation with a colleague who observed of the Internet commentariat, “Liberals rarely ever get that angry.” One reason, she argued, is that right-wingers believe “they are being silenced or ignored by a liberal media.” Hence the sense of victimhood, accompanied by high decibel fury. They yell because they want to be heard, like those people who stuck their heads out of the window in Network to yell, “I am mad as hell and I won’t take it anymore.” Or if we prefer the less flattering movie reference: like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction insisting, “I will not be ignored!”

And that brings me to the greater weakness of the online troll. However loud and angry, he inevitably stops being scary. Ugly rhetoric loses its power through constant repetition. People start to tune out. They stop reading, and start blocking. Soon, the trolls are only talking to each other, or warring with trolls from the opposing camp. The wild-eyed rightwing hater, therefore, does greatest disservice to his own cause — reducing himself and his politics to caricature and often driving away even those who may be on his side of the argument (For example, Raman who supports and admires Modi.). He also ends up ignored by the very people whose attention he seeks through constant heckling.

The online world is an overcrowded public square with the added comfort of anonymity. It encourages us to scream ever louder to be heard, but also made us a little deaf. It doesn’t matter if you’re right or left, as a political strategy, hyper-aggression in the virtual world yields diminishing results. Trolling may seem empowering initially and even have a chilling effect, as others become more wary of airing opinions that invite a virtual lynching. But over time, Homo Indicus Hindutvawadi has become one more symptom of an unpleasant social phenomenon, like paan-spitters or eve-teasers on the street. And as with them, the time-tested and reliable response is inevitably, “Just ignore!”

Now… let the trolling begin!

Ranters all: The fatal weakness of the Hindutva troll | Firstpost

Yusuf and Singh like this.
  3. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

In short twitter messed up the jholawallahs leftist narrative.The rights discourse is overwhelmingly becoming mainstream in the media

4. arkem8

arkem8 Regular Member

The right-wing(read ultra-nationalist) narrative has become mainstream....in this age of near instantaneous digital-information dissemination the traditionalist Left/Marxist dominated media will be the single net looser.

The leftist elites in Delhi has missed the internet bus completely and is struggling to come to grips with their sudden loss of propaganda monopoly...

And yes the Leftist elite in India is upper caste, upper class, anglophone just like their Paki counterparts. Marxism in India is a convenient construct of the moneyed Forward castes to maintain their position of strength and grip on the landless underclass.

Almost all the communists are from traditionally rich landowning families, you won't find a Mayawati or an Ambedkar in that camp--mark my words....

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Agreed to the fullest.

Will comment more later.

The Messiah and Singh like this.
  6. arkem8

arkem8 Regular Member

That would not explain the numbers,
    Way back in the mid 2000's all these right wing rants were right there but was fringe material and was laughed off a similar way "oh they are NRI's".

Can't do that now..

7. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

Disagree completely. All the 'bigshot' liberals are upper caste.

NRIs ain't the vocal type

Tshering22 likes this.
  8. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Absolutely. Not just twitter - all social and internet media, including DFI, is responsible in part for that "messing up".

Precisely. And among these two camps - the right wingers and the jholawalas, I will choose the camp that is better for the Indian economy and national prosperity. No prizes for guessing which camp that is! Of course, I would love a truly secular, middle camp, but in the absence of that camp, I would choose the right wing anyday. The jholawalas are just good for propagation of eternal poverty.

Mad Indian likes this.
  9. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

And from a gentrified class too ?

I have noticed this trend in those Indians who have or are living abroad. And esp amongst the noveau rich/middle class

10. Iamanidiot

Leftist baboons are generally Bengali ,Mallu,Tamil Brahmin or Brahmin baboon variety.This is a class eternally scared of their misdeeds and compromising nature with all and sundry to save their bacon.The neo-rightists are generally shudras whose rise is through blood sweat and struggle.They are the cannot compromise variety

Mad Indian likes this.
  11. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

^^ Not sure about the latter. A lot of rightists are Brahmins too!

12. arkem8

arkem8 Regular Member

The righwing horsemen are FC's....

The overwhelming bulk of the Rightist camp however are OBC's. This simple but deadly observation has either deliberately gone unnoticed or is indicative of a severe myopia amongst most political watchers in Desh....

I expect most(by the numbers) of Modis (internet or otherwise)supporters to come from these OBC's of the "forward among the Shudras" castes, they are bound to him by a feeling of kinship and a feeling of wanting to prove oneself(Modis deadliest enemies are the Brahmin among the RSS elite)....

Expect most key leadership positions in the near future in the Right wing camp to fall to OBC's (and some SC/ST's) and mark my words---their intense hatred for the privileged "other" and the retribution for past wrongs real and imagined will be legendary....

A chauhan and devgupt like this.
  13. LurkerBaba

In other words the intermediate castes. But I'm not sure about the kinship part

14. arkem8

arkem8 Regular Member

You agreed with the rest....?

Even though we are born into a very complicated culture and civilization where nothing is black and white,and have grown used to very powerful contradictions,
    India is a fvcked up place....Here even the "egalitarian" Communists are zamindars, some have huge family temples and perform lavish arthis....

We should for all intents and purposed hit the 80% literacy rate in the 90's but we all know who would loose the most from it. For all intents and purposes Indias rise was an accident.a freak of nature, the dice was loaded against the unwashed shudra from the very beginning, reservations or not....

Mad Indian, Rage and maomao like this.
  15. Iamanidiot

Arkem what you said co-incides with my observation Phule,Narayana Guru,Ambedkhar,Periyars all called the Genesis of the intermediate castes and OBCs.This assertion started first with the Marathas and the nei-right wing will be something that is needed to be watched

16. LurkerBaba

Agreed that the bulk of rightists are OBCs or are FC's who're technically Shudras.

Vocal commies in India are usually Bhadraloks (Bengal) or Nambudiri (Kerala).

The mantle of Hinduism will pass on to the OBCs. If it doesn't then they'll pull off an Ambedkar.

17. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Let's get the revolution!!

Topple this government and get Stalinism in India!

There may be a few who live in the US or are rich elite but still want India to be leftist secular, bashing Hindusim is my fast time and provide islam the breeding ground to create further mess because my NGO gets funding from terror fronts, then let's grab the power render poor even poorer....kranti lao!

Lal Salam!! let the troll fest begin..... :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    Mad Indian and Aditya Ponkshe like this.
  18. arkem8

arkem8 Regular Member

Hinduism is a very convenient, falsely encompassing term for regional and ethnic Indian tribal culture, this is why you see the more sophisticated memes in later strains of Hinduism---Jainism and Buddism. Sikhism is a hybrid melting pot of Punjabi tribal/clan culture.

it does not take a genius to figure out which segment of the Indian masses will fight most viciously to protect this tribal culture, the Brahman who exploits or the Shudra who believes??

P.S BTW if you go by the numbers MOST kshatriya are nothing but promoted or demoted shudras--- in other words fellow OBC's LOL

Mad Indian likes this.
  19. Iamanidiot

The vernacular media is already center of right and in states like karnataka the OBCs pulled the mantle of Hinduism from Brahmins.The greatest Hindu pontiffs in the state are all OBCs are lingayats and others.The Ramdassias of Punjab are one the Navayana Buddhists are another.It is already happening as we speak.Open Priesthood must be next

20. LurkerBaba

By 'Hinduism' I mean control over the Vedic part which is absent in Jainism and Buddhism

Yes they were arbitrarily moved up/down the Varna ladder.

21. Iamanidiot

The system of caste is real permanent but except the position of others is cyclical is the social position depends on political and economic fortunes at that particular period of history .When the Brits came this went to stasis now the fluidity has started again