Raj Thackeray- Get Well Soon

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ahmedsid, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Raj Thackeray- Get Well Soon

By Hansal Mehta

A few months ago Shiney Ahuja was arrested for allegedly raping his maid. Yesterday Karan Johar apologized for being raped. His rapists have emerged triumphant. In our law books there is punishment for physical rape. There is no law for raping our freedom of expression. There is only triumph for the rapists. Bravo, Raj Thackeray. You are a master rapist.

Nine years ago after the release of Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar, I was subjected to humiliation by moral police from some wing of the Shiv Sena, headed by ‘youth leader’ Raj Thackeray. His touts(a few thousand) vandalized my office. They thrashed me. They colored my face black. They threatened to burn down the home of Kishore Kadam, a wonderful actor and even more wonderful friend. I was summoned to Khar Danda and made to apologize in front of over 20,000 people and 10 MPs, MLAs and local politicians. I was made to touch the feet of a lady in the village to make amends for my mistake. My mistake? An innocuous line of dialogue from my film, misinterpreted, misunderstood and twisted to suit the publicity hungry touts hired by Mr. Thackeray. Touts who had not even seen the film save a couple of them who viewed a pirated VCD and smelt a great opportunity for titillation. Some called me a coward. Some called me spineless.

The truth is that I was a film-maker who was coping with the box-office failure of his film. I was a father who feared for the safety of his young children. I was a son who feared for the well being of his parents. I was a friend who feared for the security of his actor’s home. They threatened to burn down Kishore Kadam’s house if I did not show up at the village. They refused to stop thrashing me and painting me black until I agreed. The police did not want me to visit Danda village and apologize. They feared that they would be unable to grant me protection. But I wanted to move on. I wanted to erase all memories of this dastardly attack, this blatant violation of my human rights. I thought I had moved on.

The latest threat to Karan Johar about similar innocuous references to Mumbai as Bombay reminded me that whatever happens, the scars of that shameful week will never be erased. The wounds will never heal. It was a similar situation then. There was a Congress government in the state and the Shiv Sena needed to make it’s ‘marathi’ presence felt. Today the situation is doubly dangerous. A bigger film-maker. Not one but two cancerous organizations – the Shiv Sena and MNS. The jihadis have Osama. Gujarat has Modi. Maharashtra has the Thackerays.

I spent last night reliving the horror of nine years ago. I spent a sleepless night. I was tormented by visions of my cowardice. I awoke to find my being filled with anger. Once again, the blood suckers have succeeded. One more film-maker bites the dust. The vicious, self proclaimed messiahs of the marathi manoos have triumphed. They persecuted me. I apologized. They harassed the Bachchans. They apologized. They threatened Karan Johar. He apologized.

Today, I apologize. I apologize for being a selfish, cowardly citizen of an impotent country. I apologize for pretending to express through cinema. Who said cinema is a powerful medium of expression? Who said that it reflects society? The only cinema in our country is the political drama that unfolds every day. The only real protagonists are the goondas who portray such convincing politicians. And the antagonists are all of us who retreat into their supposedly secure lives, happy to carry on living as persecuted citizens of Bombay. Sorry Mumbai.

Hansal Mehta is a Critically Acclaimed Film Director.This article has been Reproduced here with His Special Permission.

Article Originally appeared on www.passionforcinema.com

3. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

In india mob rules those who ever has power to create and control mobs they r rulers.only way to fight such people is by creating bigger mob than them.

4. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Sorry folks,Raj is not getting well anytime soon,because nothing ails him he's only politically demented

5. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

Daud Ibrahim Gone
    Now Chhota Thackrey Don.
    It is surprising how this family can continue their reign year after year in the largest city of the country. Srikrishna Commission stated how Balasaheb supervised the riot in Mumbai...No action was taken. Now they are saying 'Mumbai for Mumbaikar' and attacking people from other states who have all the Right to be in any part of the country. What difference they have with the seperatists in Kashmir or Assam whom we said militants....

6. fateh71

fateh71 Regular Member

Nothing surprising about it. You should read up the history of shiv sena, who helped form it, for what purpose, used against who... and fast forward to now, why Raj Thakre can't be stopped, what purpose he serves, who benefits, and things will become clearer.

'What difference they have with the seperatists in Kashmir or Assam whom we said militants'

Lots, if you want to see. First switch off Aaj Tak.

7. Sabir

Total time I spent on TV in last 365 days is less than 2 hours (including cricket match LOL)...So Please elaborate...

BTW anyone has information on Sri-krishna Commission Report...?

8. ahmedsid

Its a shame that Karan Johar, Amithabh Bachchan et al had to bow down in front of this Guy. I mean, If Rich and Influential people like these Have to do it, think what you and me will be subjected to if we were to ever come into this Senas radar??

I talked with Hansal after he wrote this, and he was angry to the core. He should be, After all he has been through, Which I pray, none of us have to go through.

Just think, for a second, what the heck is wrong with Using the name Bombay instead of mumbai or Vice versa? I mean, Is it a Criminal offence that these goons ego's have to be satisfied??

9. fateh71

fateh71 Regular Member

Was not a literal comment. Your comparison with separatists though matched with the baseless hyped coverage of these issues in hindi media.

Why does not the congress govt in maharashtra stop him? Why can't sonia just give a call and make the government stop Raj? Or implement Sri Krishna report? When the same govt in 2005 was demolishing illegal slums in mumbai (not protected by the constitution of India AFAIK), the same Sonia called the same govt and had them stop the drive. why does she not use the same power and stop Raj? All i am saying is try to find the obvious answer.

And abt the militants, what do you think is their demand?

10. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Congress will not act against Raj; they are happily exploiting the infighting amongst the Marathi Chauvinists. Just like they didn't act when the Sikh, Kashmiris etc. were fighting amongst themselves. Sigh....

11. Sabir

The Srikrishna Commission and the Bombay Riots

In 1992-93, the city of Mumbai was rocked by communal riots between the Hindu and Muslim communities and bomb blasts perpetrated by Muslim terrorists in collusion with D-Company mafia don Dawood Ibrahim. While communal riots are not unusual in modern Indian history, these riots were particularly startling in light of Mumbai's largely peaceful past. Above all the Bombay Riots appeared to compromise the much-vaunted image of the city as cosmopolitan, secular and tolerant. Further, the riots appeared to solidify the image of Shiv Sena chief Balasaheb Thackeray who scathingly criticised the judiciary.

Justice Srikrishna, then a relatively junior Judge of the Bombay High Court, accepted the task of investigating the causes of the riots, something that many of his colleagues had turned down.For five years, until 1998, he examined victims, witnesses and alleged perpetrators. Detractors came initially from left-secular quarters who were wary of a judge who was a devout and practicing Hindu. The Commission was disbanded by the Shiv Sena-led government in January 1996 and on public opposition was later reconstituted on 28 May 1996; though when it was reconstituted, its terms of reference were extended to include the Mumbai bomb blasts that followed in March 1993.
    Justice Srikrishna indicted those responsible for the bloodshed, the Shiv Sena and its cadres. For a while its contents were a closely guarded secret and no copies were available. The Shiv Sena government rejected its recommendations. Since under the Commissions of Inquiry Act, an Inquiry is not a court of law (even if it conducts proceedings like a court of law) and the report of an inquiry is not binding on Governments, Srikrishna's recommendations cannot be directly enforced. To this date, the recommendations of the Commission have neither been accepted nor acted upon by the Maharashtra Government.

Our system paves the way for Thackrays....Now question is whether we should still join tn chest thumping contest against foreign nationals about our
    Democracy...

12. Sabir

If you have the obvious answer why do not you put forward? Whatever you mentioned shows the inactivity of our political system but act of Shivsena or MNNS can not be excused by bringing more instances of some more politicians...We are not interested in blame games....

13. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

To compare the alleged act of Shiney Ahuja and acts of Raj Thackrey is really streching it too far.
    The fact is that there is a sentiment among the marathis in and outside Mumbai that the influx of non-marathis has made Mumbai a non-marathi city. The marathis(like any other locals) want to asssert themselves in the capital of their state. I find nothing wrong with it. Also, one has to acknowledge that Mumbai has really been indundated for past decade over and above its capacity. So, there has to be some kind of limit to it. This applies not just to Mumbai but to other major cities also at some level.
    The more important point is that why do some people have to leave their homes and migrate to other parts of the nation for livelihood? For example, Biharis have been migrating to other states(including Maharashtra) for better standards of living, but their migration to those places increases the competition for resources in those places.
    But the real culprit in this case is the leaders of Bihar(who have rule it for past so many decades) and have brought the kind of situation where people have to go to other places to find better living standards.
    (Bihar and biharis are only an example here, no offence meant)
    So, instead of blaming people like Raj Thackrey, the media and public should be questioning people like Mayawati, Mulayam, Lalu and ilk.

14. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

You want to know reason?
    kashmir is autonomous state where you and me cannot buy property or settle but we can just visit ,inspite of this separitists are asking for some weird things which they have to elaborate but maharastra is different so dont compare both these
    ps:i dont know about this issue hence i confined myself to this differences if possible please elaborate how this sena formed and what is their motive
    Just think why kashmir want 360 article and dont want people from other states who have all rights to be in any part of the country,then dont say kashmir is a integral part of india but it is just like nepal where we can visit without visa ,if they have made this with respect to disputed issue then why arunachal pradesh was not given autonomous state?

15. fateh71

fateh71 Regular Member

The act of the Government is not the same as the act of some small time political party. I blame the govt more, they are playing this dangerous game w/o realising (or giving a sh*t about) the price India pays. The same government does not give two hoots about the 7 dead commuters on mumbai trains DAILY or the millions of illegal slums they have built and protected so that they can vote for them. but then how to keep them in line when there are no roads, amenities or water? create an MNS, that helps to keep the 'poor immigrants' in line eh?

its all a game, some people fooling some and others fooling the rest. in the mean time, Bombay becomes a huge dirty slum, but hey, who cares? Not even Mumbaikars, or they'll be clubbed with the Kashmiris eh :wink:

16. ahmedsid

Johnee, before you shoot off like that, I suggest you get your Face blackened, your office thrashed, your whole life under threat, and the thought of your small girls well being hounding you.

The above has happened to the author, I suggest you show some maturity. As an Indian I can migrate to anywhere. If i cant find a job to give food to my children, I will go to Timbaktu even to fulfill that. What do you propose? Restrict the entry of immigrants?

Instead of bringing to fore the hypocricy of these goons, you blame the immigrants! Shame!

You are telling the people to only blame Mulayam and Co, so You justifying MNS and Shiv Sena kya?? Shouldnt the media report this??

17. johnee

Ahmed,
    I suggest we conduct the debate bit maturely(aside from emotions).
    I understand and sympathise with all that you have said. But you are only outlining the one side of the coin, the other side is that the locals have difficulties getting jobs because of the increasing influx of non-locals.

The important point is that Raj Thackrey only representing(though violently) the concerns of locals(Marathi Manoos). They are protecting their intrests as locals which is not wrong. Of course, the use of violence in not justified.

The point I was trying to highlight is that the real culprits are the leaders like Mayawati, Mulayam, Lalu who have ruled UP and Bihar for so many decades and have brought a situation where the ordinary Biharis and UPwallas have to leave their homes and go to some other place for their livelihood. This is a pathetic situation and every state must question their leaders about performance. Maharashtra(or for that matter any other state) cannot be made a scapegoat for lack of development of bimaru states(like Bihar or UP).

PS: No offence to Biharis and UPwallas.

18. ahmedsid

Again, I suggest you put on your thinking cap!!! You say Representing the local people is by Humiliating people like Hansal Mehta and trying to kill them??

Is supporting the locals-- Attacking theatres screening films of a certain actor??? How does it support the Locals who thrive by working for films, right from putting up poster to acting as extras in mumbai???

How does it matter to the Locals if some actor says bombay??? Why should the film be banned? Is it Constitutional? If it is, Then i am sorry, I will rest my case.

If you call all this supporting Maratha people, then I think, you should revoke your MNS/Shiv Sena Membership and think from the pov of a common man caught in the midst of this.

You should think like those people getting beaten up for appearing for exams in mumbai! Think of that!

-- I didnt mean to offend anyone with this, thought the best way to Express the feeling would be in this way.

19. johnee

ha ha...
    If the Congress Govt of the state or even the Congress leadership at centre had wanted to curb the Raj Thackrey, they could have done it easily. They dont do it, because it helps them politically. Raj Thackrey splits the anti-establishment vote. That means he reduce the anti-incumbency effect. Raj Thackrey splits the traditional vote of Shiv Sena which helps the political opponents of Shiv Sena(which is Congress).
    So, the entire Raj Thackrey effect is the creation of Congress and Congress alone.

20. ahmedsid

Singhji Pointed this out earlier, If Congress wants, it can put Raj or Bal or anyone else behind bars for attacking innocents and breaking down the law and order situation. But Politicians being Politicians, dont do that. The only way to Stop Raj is not by asking the Congress to do it, But it can be done only by his supporters, who should realise that Raj is talking for himself and No marathis! They got to realise, This is not how things are to be done.

21. johnee

I am sorry if I came across as justifying violence. I dont support violence, though I can understand the cause and sympathise with it. I hope you can see the difference in the two stands.

I repeat again, I dont support violence. Though living in India, I know that most political parties resort to violence for various reasons. Burning trains and buses, rasta rokos...etc are seen as legitimate forms of protest by political parties(of course, I dont agree with them).

Attacking theatres is also not a new precedent.

Of course, I dont support that form of protest. But I support the cause. Or atleast, I am open to give them a benefit of doubt.

Thats how politics works in India. Remember, Amir Khan's movies was not allowed to be screened in Gujarat when he made some comments on Narmada issue. Thats just politics.

After reading the above comment, there are only two options:
    1)either you have petty brain that cannot fathom that a neutral person can support an issue without having to take 'membership'
    2)or you were kidding.
    I will assume, you were kidding.

We must look at both sides of the coin and think of longterm measures. Emotional reactions are not very constructive.

I repeat again, I dont support violence.