Raj Babbar, MPs abandon top-level defence briefing to 'catch' flight

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Led by Raj Babbar, MPs abandon top-level defence briefing to 'catch flights'

NEW DELHI: The agenda was of utmost importance: "threat perception and preparedness of the forces including incursions on borders". The forum was among the highest in the land—the parliamentary standing committee on defence.

To brief the select members of Parliament at hand were the defence secretary, the director-general of military operations (DGMOs), several other senior officials from the Army, Navy and Air Force. It would have been the highest forum of democracy where the officials would be grilled, and held accountable.

The meeting was significant because of recent developments along the 778-km-long Line of Control (LoC). At Keran sector, the Army had just completed a three-week operation to evict about 40 militants, and at least 10, including four Army personnel, had been killed in Samba on September 26.

The meeting began 10 minutes past 3 pm on Wednesday. The defence secretary expressed his inability to give a copy of the presentations to the members present, because the information was highly classified. The Army was the first off the block, with senior officials briefing the MPs on recent flare-ups along the LoC.

The briefing significantly focused on the Army's assessment of threat perceptions along the border with Pakistan, China, Nepal, Bangladesh etc. Later, the Army made a separate presentation about its operation to evict almost 30 terrorists from Keran sector. As the formal presentations wound up, MPs had several questions — ranging from suspected leadership failure to its links to attacks in Samba.

The MPs expressed their concern over the repeated breach of LoC, India's most militarised border. Senior officers of the Navy and the Air Force were awaiting their turn with classified presentations.

It was 4.30 pm.

And then, without any provocation, Raj Babbar, chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on defence, announced that the meeting was being wound up because some members had to catch their flights.

Though it is still not clear what are the credentials that make this Congress MP from Firozabad chairman of one of the most powerful parliamentary bodies, as he dispersed the Wednesday meeting he looked determined.

According to those present at the meeting, his words conveyed his determination that someone not missing a flight was more important than the classified briefings on security preparedness. Even if embers of a bitterly fought operation in Keran sector was yet to be doused.

It maybe a different show on TV studios and in public, where politicians never lose a moment to beat their chests to announce concerns about national security. Behind the closed doors of the standing committee, there weren't any such concerns. Not one member of the standing committee protested against Babbar's decision.

Officials confirmed that the MPs would get their free business class flight tickets and per diem for attending the meeting. Even if meant that the Army briefing was yet to be completed, or Navy and Air Force couldn't make their presentations. Even if it meant that the LoC is now in the throes of infiltration and violence that has not been witnessed in recent memory.

For the record, no member of the standing committee seemed to have missed their flights on Wednesday. Or, did they all actually rush to the airport?

Led by Raj Babbar, MPs abandon top-level defence briefing to 'catch flights' - The Times of India

With such idiots at the helm of affairs, how can this nation fight or its soldiers get the feeling that the Nation cares!

No wonder there is such problems, as seen never before, happening so frequently in the Army.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: Raj Babbar, MPs abandon top-level defence briefing to 'catch' flig

Imagine such an irresponsible man as Raj Babbar heading the Defence Committee..

One wonders as his knowledge is constrained to those romanticised and ridiculous Hindi films of War.

It does show how shallow our Parliament is!

And a clueless clot as the Defence Minister ably assisted by another clueless coot at the Foreign Ministry!

Headed by a dithering PM!

Last edited:

Illusive

Country flag

Though it is still not clear what are the credentials that make this Congress MP from Firozabad chairman of one of the most powerful parliamentary bodies, as he dispersed the Wednesday meeting he looked determined.
Like we don't know how.......INFLUENCE. Do these guys even have a shred of concern for this country.

Vishwarupa

Country flag

Raj Babbar is the same congress MP who had said full meals in Delhi costs INR 12.

Raj Babbar eats crow for Rs 12 meal remark, says sorry : North, News - India Today

He is happy with his 12 rupees meal & is not bothered about India, its defense preparedness & what our forces had to undergo to throw/kill those terrorists.

even if he would have continued in the meeting, i am sure he would not have understood a thing about what our army is doing.

He should quit from this position & run a food canteen in Delhi.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

But my concern is if such idiots as Raj Babbar is to head Defence Parliamentary Committee, then what can you expect of this Govt to deliver?

Or even understand Threat Perceptions or what is happening at the LC?

datguy79

I thought this was some sort of cruel joke at first.

DivineHeretic

Country flag

It will take nothing short of a full blown invasion by our peace loving, opium smoking, jihad welding brahs in the west to wake the MMS govt. from its "strategic" slumber.

In case you actually dont consider them brahs, pledge your name here, then by the name of the ultra secular, the National Messiah, the super brilliant Xxxxx ( The one who cannot be named...seriously), I shall command that your anti secular (Patriotic), anti democracy (anti congress. Hey, thats the same) soul be revoked of the citizenship of this glorious, flourishing nation.

Btw, just curious, but wtf was the great xxxxx thinking when he spoke ofthe escape velocity of jupiter?
A) The speed required to escape the gravitational field of Jupitar.
B) The velocity required by Jupitar to escape the gravitational field of the Sun
C) ohh look I learnt about a new planet Jupitar today. Let me insert it in my speech to the dalits....
D) Wtf will question me what I meant. Just mix some grand words together and frame a sentence. The public are too stupid to ever find out.

Hmmm...I wonder what??

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Sadly, the fools in the Parliament have no idea what is the military, its organisation, weaponry or even the tasks.

No wonder, that idiot says the Chinese intrusion is an acne and the Gah man talks to the killer Nawaz as our soldiers die!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles