Railway Budget 2012

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
NEW DELHI: Senior Congress leader Pranab Mukherjee clarified in Lok Sabha that railway minister Dinesh Trivedi has not resigned.

He confirmed that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has received a communication from the Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and her request is under active consideration of the PM.

Pranab Mukherjee denied that the PM has receieved any letter of resignation from the railway minister.

He said when the government takes any action on the issue, the House will be informed.

TMC leader Sudip Bandhopadhya said on the floor of the House that the party had not asked Dinesh Trivedi to resign.

He said, Trivedi issue is a matter to be settled between Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

According to TV reports, the government has convinved Mamata Banerjee to allow Dinesh Trivedi to continue till the passage of the Railway Budget.

The discussion on Railway Budget is expected to start in the afternoon.

Earlier, the row over status of Dinesh Trivedi rocked both the Houses, with Arun Jaitley calling it a theatre of the absurd.

Leading the charge in the Lok Sabha, Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj said the government should clarify the status of railway minister and the Railway Budget.

Earlier speaking to reporters outside Parliament on Thursday morning, Dinesh Trivedi said that he had come to Parliament as a minister to answer questions on the Railway Budget.

This even as the Trinamool Congress MPs have staged a sit-in outside Parliament demanding rollback of increase in rail fares and a special package for West Bengal.

UPA safe, Dinesh Trivedi not asked to resign: TMC - The Times of India
What lollipop has been given to the petulant child?

pmaitra

^^

Sudip Bandhopadhyay, another goon. He tries to pretend to be Ramakrishna; he ain't one!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
No, I have a problem with DRDO dedicating manpower into something that is already in production, extensively in the west, and in limited numbers in India.

I have given a link of a company that is already making toilets for trains, and DRDO has not made anything like that ever. It will still take DRDO time to catch up with that company. It's simply stupid for DRDO to get into such things, not to mention lower their own standards.

Link: Low Flow Toilets | Green bathrooms | Composting Toilet Systems

Call it DRDO bashing, I think it deserves it. I would support DRDO even if it fails to perfect the Kaveri Engine, but will bash DRDO even if it successfully makes a bio-degradable train toilet.

Misplaced priorities, methinks!
Pmaitra, you are again getting in to wrong tangent, why in the world DRDO has to develop such thing in first place, have you even thought of that, NO, and you started bashing, nad you are still wrongly abusing DRDO getting involved in toilet thingy even when pointed out that they have this thing to private companies for the production, check this: India army offers 'glacier toilet' in hi-tech sell-off - Hindustan Times

You are just bashing it for the sake of it

pmaitra

Railway budget a loot: Ram Naik
Loot my foot! Ram Naik, think beyond politics!

"This hike is too much," he added.
Aren't deaths from accidents too much, or do you just care to pretend to care for the people?

"On the national level also this budget gave nothing but the fare hike," Naik said.
And the last 8 years of no fare hike has given what? Accidents and accidents.

What a shameless muppet!

pmaitra

Pmaitra, you are again getting in to wrong tangent, why in the world DRDO has to develop such thing in first place, have you even thought of that, NO, and you started bashing, nad you are still wrongly abusing DRDO getting involved in toilet thingy even when pointed out that they have this thing to private companies for the production, check this: India army offers 'glacier toilet' in hi-tech sell-off - Hindustan Times

You are just bashing it for the sake of it
Sirji, let's agree to disagree, because I still think I am correct in my criticism and I still think DRDO needs to focus on missiles and jet-turbines than on toilets. We all have our opinions and that is what makes a debate interesting. :namaste:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Mr. Dinesh tried to change they system, he went down :(

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Sirji, let's agree to disagree, because I still think I am correct in my criticism and I still think DRDO needs to focus on missiles and jet-turbines than on toilets. We all have our opinions and that is what makes a debate interesting. :namaste:
Sir ji, why you are not checking the facts I am trying to point out out you. Or it is too important to bash DRDO that it has to be done come what may facts be damned

pmaitra

Sir ji, why you are not checking the facts I am trying to point out out you. Or it is too important to bash DRDO that it has to be done come what may facts be damned
Your facts are correct, but it is also a fact that DRDO has never made a bio-degradable train toilet while there are companies that are already making them. I want DRDO to focus on things that are not available, such as the Siachen toilets, which you mentioned, were not available, or technologies that could be denied to India in case of sanctions etc..

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Your facts are correct, but it is also a fact that DRDO has never made a bio-degradable train toilet while there are companies that are already making them. I want DRDO to focus on things that are not available, such as the Siachen toilets, which you mentioned, were not available, or technologies that could be denied to India in case of sanctions etc..
Sir ji, you are not reading the news :(, they developed a tech for troops, which found an OFF SHOT and transferred to private sector it is as simple as that.

pmaitra

Sir ji, you are not reading the news :(, they developed a tech for troops, which found an OFF SHOT and transferred to private sector it is as simple as that.
So you are saying this company (Low Flow Toilets | Green bathrooms | Composting Toilet Systems) got their technology from DRDO?

Even if true, although I doubt it, why does DRDO not take the credit and go back to making missiles instead of lingering on this toilet business?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
So you are saying this company (Low Flow Toilets | Green bathrooms | Composting Toilet Systems) got their technology from DRDO?

Even if true, although I doubt it, why does DRDO not take the credit and go back to making missiles instead of lingering on this toilet business?
I don't know to whom the technology was given, it is private sector who found it useful as mentioned in the link posted, so it is military tech getting transferred to civilian use. Now you have problem with that, then you are grossly mistaken. And you are unnecessarily bashing DRDO again by bringing rhetorical statements, it was not DRDO's missile division which built this toilet, the missile division is busy in building missiles. Or you are trying to say that missile division is building toilets now?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I agree the DRDO makes world class toilets and one should use their toilets.

Toilets are their greatest achievement is what you are suggesting? ;)

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
So are you trying to say that DRDO has not done anything apart from making toilets?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Not saying that, but then they have not covered themselves with glory either given the budget, expertise and even reverse engineering!

pmaitra

I don't know to whom the technology was given, it is private sector who found it useful as mentioned in the link posted, so it is military tech getting transferred to civilian use. Now you have problem with that, then you are grossly mistaken. And you are unnecessarily bashing DRDO again by bringing rhetorical statements, it was not DRDO's missile division which built this toilet, the missile division is busy in building missiles. Or you are trying to say that missile division is building toilets now?
I am sure it was not DRDO's missile division that built that toilet, and I am not sure what division of DRDO made that toilet.

I think bio-degradable toilets have existed even before DRDO made those Siachen toilets. I could be wrong, but I'll need more convincing evidence to believe that DRDO's Siachen toilet was the pioneer and all the bio-degradable toilets being used in India and abroad came only after DRDO.

Seriously Niteshji, a bio-degradable toilet is not a uranium enriching centrifuge that we have to make such a big deal about it. It is just that - a bio-degradable toilet. Why give it so much importance? Just because DRDO's name has come up?

I think we should let this pass. I respectfully disagree with your opinion. I have nothing more to offer.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
What lollipop has been given to the petulant child?
Maybe she was asked to walk out of UPA, leading to a clear split in TMC; that is when she smelled the coffee. However, situation is still developing. We never know who will score to our surprise!

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Loot my foot! Ram Naik, think beyond politics!

Aren't deaths from accidents too much, or do you just care to pretend to care for the people?

And the last 8 years of no fare hike has given what? Accidents and accidents.

What a shameless muppet!
As usual BJP is confused & opposing everything under the open sky. Less said the better.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I am sure it was not DRDO's missile division that built that toilet, and I am not sure what division of DRDO made that toilet.
Obviously, you haven't read what I have posted, it is DRDO's life sciences lab based on Gwalior (mentioned in the mews item I have posted)

I think bio-degradable toilets have existed even before DRDO made those Siachen toilets. I could be wrong, but I'll need more convincing evidence to believe that DRDO's Siachen toilet was the pioneer and all the bio-degradable toilets being used in India and abroad came only after DRDO.[/QUOTE}
DRDO never made any claim that they are pioneers in this field, they simply made something useful for the troops posted on Siachin, this is you who is trying to make an issue out of nothing.

Seriously Niteshji, a bio-degradable toilet is not a uranium enriching centrifuge that we have to make such a big deal about it. It is just that - a bio-degradable toilet. Why give it so much importance? Just because DRDO's name has come up?
Seriously pmaitraji, this mindless bashing is not even funny, what do you expect a life science lab to come up with? You are again making a rhetorical statement just because DRDO name has came in, and you think that bashing is too important to let any opportunity to let go.

I think we should let this pass. I respectfully disagree with your opinion. I have nothing more to offer.
Yes let it pass, it is just a DRDO lab made something, found useful by private industry and they making a commercial use of it, it is just the original developer's name that is getting attention, nothing more then that.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Not saying that, but then they have not covered themselves with glory either given the budget, expertise and even reverse engineering!
Sir it just a way of looking the things, glass half full or half empty. In this case this is just mindless bashing nothing more then that

pmaitra

Rail Budget: Railway minister plans high-speed corridors from city

Dwaipayan Ghosh, TNN | Mar 15, 2012, 02.33AM IST

NEW DELHI: After former railway ministers - Lalu Prasad and Mamata Banerjee - skirted the idea of high-speed trains, the present railway minister Dinesh Trivedi has given a thumbs-up to the proposal. This time, he spoke about running premier trains like Shatabdis and Rajdhanis from the city at over 160 km/hr - thereby reducing travel time between the cities.

"We can now hope to see the average journey time of top trains to Kolkata dropping from 17 hours to 14 hours,'' said Trivedi. According to his plan, the high speed trains are expected to run between 250-350 km/hr. "As decided earlier, the pre-feasibility study on six routes have already been taken up. One more corridor that will be studied this year is the Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Jodhpur corridor. Study of the Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad project has been completed,'' said Trivedi.

Though passengers are seeing the announcement as a big gamble, security experts warn that unless a proper infrastructure is in place, India cannot afford to have such trains. "The Karkodkar Committee that was appointed by Trivedi had pointed out that the railways needs to do away with coaches which are being produced indigenously. According to the report, these trains cannot travel beyond 56 km/hr and even average speed of 80-90 km/hr is a danger,'' said the officer.

The railways are conducting a survey on the routes of Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad, Delhi-Chandigarh, Patna-Delhi, Bangalore-Chennai and Chennai-Hyderabad. The survey and feasibility report are being prepared by a France based company, said sources.

Bullet trains are specially designed to run at a maximum speed of 250 -300 kmph in foreign countries. Separate tracks are required to run suchtrains as they are substitute to air traffic there, said sources. Also, no goods trains would run on the special tracks of bullet trains due to safety reasons, a technical expert said.

Rail Budget: Railway minister plans high-speed corridors from city - The Times of India
Absolutely irresponsible reporting by ToI, the Regenbogen Presse of India.

Here is a link to the Report of High Level Safety Review Committee, Ministry of Railways, that was presented to the Railway Minister Mr. Dinesh Trivedi.

Committe members:
  1. Anil Kakodkar
  2. E. Sreedharan
  3. N. Vedachalam
  4. Sanjay G. Dhande
  5. G. P. Srivastava
(Amitabh as Secretary, HLSRC)

Faux-representation by ToI:

ToI: Karkodkar
Report: Kakodkar (page 1)

ToI: The railways are conducting a survey on the routes of Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad, Delhi-Chandigarh, Patna-Delhi, Bangalore-Chennai and Chennai-Hyderabad. The survey and feasibility report are being prepared by a France based company, said sources.
Report: The Committee reviewed the information on Automated Train Protection Systems prevailing and planned in different countries like Italy, Germany, France, UK, Japan, China and USA. Although, functionalities are by and large similar at train operation management and control/protection levels, the implementation of technologies vary widely. (page 52, the only mention of France in the entire document)

ToI: According to the report, these trains cannot travel beyond 56 km/hr and even average speed of 80-90 km/hr is a danger,'
Report: In order to ensure safety of passengers in a collision or severe deceleration due to derailment, RDSO was requested to estimate the limiting number of coaches using ICF design for 110- 120 Kilometers per hour speed and also alternatively to evolve the safe operating speed with 24 ICF coach formation. This simulation result confirmed that even at 56 Kmph speed of 24 ICF coach train formations, there will be climbing and some derailment of coaches. Simulation pictures as supplied by RDSO are as under: (page 64)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles