Rail Budget:2009-10

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by Yusuf, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Passenger amenities, safety top priorities in Rail Budget: Mamata Banerjee - India - The Times of India

3. Yusuf

Looks like a good rail budget. But the Lalu emphasis on money making is gone.

4. 1.44

1.44 Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009 Senior Member

The Railway Budget states that the Indian railways will begin surveys to extend the network to the north-eastern areas.Looks like it's part of India's project to extend the railways to the areas bordering China.

5. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

Are the Indian Railways a profit making exterprise? I see a lot of discounts and expenses, but no economic responsibility. Shouldn't they have plans to upgrade most of the train coaches which look like they're decades old? The sewage disposal system also is non-existent on most trains. I once travelled on a train to Mumbai and got down at VT station. It smelled like a shit bomb had just exploded there......I was shocked to find out that their method for disposing human waste from the train toilets was to let it out on the tracks.

They need to fix what is already broke instead of introducing 50 new projects.

6. Yusuf

Railways was always in a loss till Lalu came along. Money is required by the Railways to expand and also pay its 1.5 million employees. Loss by Railways due to crap policies use to burden the national budget. So our tax money was going into paying for the railways operations.
    Now that money has come to the railways, slowly but surely they are modernizing.

7. 1.44

There are plans to upgrade the Railways in the budget including medical facilities as well as stationing commandos on board for security.So i think we can hope to see some improvements in the trains themselves but the major focus of the improvements will be in the expansion of infrastructure.
    Btw Known unknown:LOL

8. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

Well, seems it's back to the good ol' days.

9. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

Yes you are right the shit bomb problem needed to be fixed asap.

10. 1.44

I find the though of my shit just lying there in the track pretty funny.However it does need to be corrected ASAP.It doesn't give a great impression on someone using the Railways for the first time or to the foreigner that use the railways.

11. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

mamta banerjee does scare a bone in me, and makes me wonder will we see the railways again in the red or will she continue from where lalu left, fingers crossed for the latter though. i was very keen on certain aspects which i have not seen in the highlights posted by yusuf, which were modern railway stations for the metros, implementation of high speed bullet trains on new tracks to be laid down for that very purpose the feasibility report of which was submitted to the railways and what is happening to the much talked about rail freight to be completed with the help of japan which is to attract some 90b usd worth of investments, if anyone is aware on latest developments in these projects, please post. thanks.

they have worked on human excreta disposal system and have loos similar to the ones on airplanes. though its been a long time since i have traveled on a train but way back some 5yrs from now i was a frequent on lucknow shatabdi and it was there on that train and looking at the recently launched shatabdis and rajdhanis it seems they have it for these trains as well, but it seems such loos are not there for other trains, which i think will take time, mind you they aim to have all ac coaches by 2020 so certainly these vacuum sucking loos (or what ever they are called) would be there on all trains.

if i am not wrong then indian railways is sitting on a cash surplus of around 1,00,000 crores or at around 20b usd, if exchange rate is taken at 50 to a dollar.

12. Yusuf

The Bullet is probably not happening. Lalu tried, but I think the feasibility report wasnt good or it was just put on the back burner. The Chennai Bangalore route was being discussed for the Bullet trains.
    The north-south and east-west freight corridor should materialize i think.

13. Yusuf

Lalu got math wrong, Mamata corrects

Lalu got math wrong, Mamata corrects Rediff Money

14. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

one seriously doubts lalu and mamta see eye to eye on a personal level, leave alone on issues that bother the country, so this swipe taking does not really come as a surprise. there is a lot of bruised ego at the end of lalu which is doing a lot of talking today since he has not been named as a the rail mantri for the second time so it is kind of fine and then lalu who is more of a commie fan would certainly not have any liking for ms mamta who does not let those commies have a easy breath. what lalu says hardly makes a difference and i would be perfectly fine if the technocrats are fine with this budget and are given a free hand to function as was the case since the last 5yrs. as far as mamta taking a swipe at lalu is concerned, well she is talking facts so really lalu should have no reasons to complain and as it is economy on the whole has not done well so even if the railways missed the target by 2% on the volumes part, i think it is acceptable and it is not always that the indian railways is in the green so with all grace lalu should not lower his stature by getting into a verbal duel with mamta, 5yrs from now it is the work which will talk and not what was spoken.

added later

i just can not understand why do we need these budget in the first place, it is high time that we did away with budgets and made all this decision taking, target setting a daily routine job rather than wait for an occasion like a budget which at the end delays the whole process of decision taking and its implementation.