Rahul Gandhi backs 'One-Rank-One-Pension' demand of ex-servicemen

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by feathers, Feb 14, 2014.

1. feathers

feathers Tihar Jail Banned

Rahul Gandhi backs 'One-Rank-One-Pension' demand of ex-servicemen | NDTV.com
    All India | Press Trust of India | Updated: February 14, 2014 21:14 IST

Rahul Gandhi today backed the long-pending demand of 'One-Rank, One-Pension' for ex-servicemen assuring them that he will make all efforts to ensure it is met at the earliest.

"I am on your side. I understand your concerns. You give your life for the country, I will do all that I can to see that your demands are met," Gandhi told a gathering of 1000-odd ex-servicemen during an interaction here.

Gandhi is holding interactions with various sections to get their direct feedback for Congress manifesto for 2014 Lok Sabha elections.

Delegations of ex-servicemen from Haryana, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab met Gandhi today and requested him to push for the implementation of the 'One Rank, One Pension' (OROP) policy.

'One Rank, One Pension' has been a long-standing demand of the over two million ex-servicemen of India. It seeks to ensure that a uniform pension is paid to the defence personnel retiring at the same rank with the same length of service, irrespective of their date of retirement.

In what could be music to the ears of around 3 million defence pensioners in the country, Gandhi told the ex-servicemen that he does feel that their demand is long overdue.

He said he would make all efforts to ensure that this long-standing demand that affects ex-servicemen, their families and war-widows, is met at the earliest.

Major Ved Prakash, the chairman of the ex-servicemen department told PTI that the ex-servicemen also pointed out in the meeting that those working in the armed forces retire early even before their family commitments are fulfilled and hence they should be accommodated in paramilitary forces and government jobs.

The OROP will ensure that retired soldiers of the same rank and the same length of service receive the same pension, irrespective of their date of retirement. The scheme is estimated to cost Rs. 2,000 crore annually.

Currently, all pre-2006 (the year the 6th pay panel report became effective) pensioners receive lesser pension than not only their counterparts but also their juniors.

Major Ved Prakash said OROP will ensure that these servicemen receive pension on the basis of the pension people are getting in their rank after the implementation of the sixth pay commission.

3. feathers

Shri Rahul Gandhi - INC

Press Release

NEW DELHI
    February 14, 2014

I am on your side: Shri Rahul Gandhi to ex-servicemen

· Delegations of ex-servicemen from Haryana, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab meet Shri Rahul Gandhi

· Seek help to push “One Rank, One Pension” policy

· Shri Rahul Gandhi assures delegations of his support

Delegations of ex-servicemen from Haryana, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab met Congress Vice President Shri Rahul Gandhi today and requested him to push for the implementation of the "One Rank, One Pension" (OROP) policy. One Rank One Pension has been a long-standing demand of the over two million ex-servicemen of India. Highlighting the unjustness of higher pensions for juniors who retire laterat the same rank, they urged Shri Gandhi to ensure thatthis anomaly is corrected. One Rank One Pension policy will ensure that a uniform pension is paid to the Defense Forces personnel retiring at the same rank with the same length of service, irrespective of their date of retirement.

Assuring the ex-servicementhat he would make all efforts to ensure that this long-standing demand that affects ex-servicemen, their families and war-widows, is met at the earliest Shri Gandhi said,“I am on your side. I understand your concerns. You give your life for the country, I will do all that I can to see that your demands are met.”

4. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

You had 10 years to do it. :rofl:

SajeevJino likes this.
  5. Phantom

Phantom Regular Member

Is anyone still taking his words seriously?:confused: When is he forfeiting his place as INC VP to his sister in the name of Womens' Empowerment?:namaste:

Singh likes this.
  6. feathers

Rahul Gandhi thanks PM for 'one rank one pension' in armed forces - The Times of India

NEW DELHI:Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Monday thanked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for accepting the "one rank one pension" demand of the armed forces.

"I thank the government, the prime minister and Congress president Sonia (Gandhi) ji for this historic decision," Rahul Gandhi told the media.

"Our soldiers should feel that their government supports and backs them. It is our duty to help them. This is our sentiment. They fight for us on the borders and mountains, we thank them for it," he added.

The "one rank one pension" scheme will be implemented with Rs.500 crore earmarked for it in 2014-15, finance minister P Chidambaram announced Monday while presenting the interim budget.

7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Backing is one thing and getting it is another.

The mess of the arrears ordered by the Supreme Court is still dragging on.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

It took so long since Independence to realise this?

I wonder why all this did not dawn earlier when it was being asked in a gentlemanly way?

Elections sure is a leveller and this time it appears that the military is being taken seriously. Was this because of the overtures by Modi, and did it spook the GOP?

What astounds me is that Rahul Gandhi makes a 'wish' and Manmohan acquiesces! Why Manmohan has no brains of his own to have realised it earlier than Price Charming?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    VIP, kseeker, bhramos and 2 others like this.
  8. ersakthivel

ersakthivel Senior Member Senior Member

During their ten year rule UPA never cared about following this principle and setting aside funds,

now Modi effect is getting to them and still they have cleverly laid the burden at the doors of the next government,

if there was any sincerity in their intent they could have set aside some money in the vote on account presented today itself,.

kseeker likes this.
  9. feathers

Brother, we should be happy that now something good in happening and armed forces the real defenders of our sovereignty and freedom are going to get what they do deserve.

I do have lot of respect for Atal Ji and even aware that BJP as a party did many good things for the nation but there is somewhere in my heart i do have some doubts which i am trying to get answers by myself.

10. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

Singhji you know he will have 1000 excuses to say the contrary, like MMS was the PM and not him :)

11. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

One rank, one pension gets nod | Business Standard

12. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

The issues which Modi addressed, the voters whom Modi targeted are being "temporarily" targeted by Congress, but it wont help them.

13. Ray

You may like to know of the views expressed by retd senior Army officers.

It is an eyewash and a fudge.

14. Ray

Although Finance Minister P Chidambaram announced that he was putting aside Rs 500 crore to finance OROP, the consensus among defence administrators was that even conservatively, the aggregated cost of OROP across the forces and ranks would be anything between Rs 3,000 and Rs 4,000 crore, not counting arrears. This does not include the administrative cost of calculating OROP and will require a veritable army of accounting staff.

There lies the fudge.

15. feathers

Ofcourse Mr Ray. Are these views given after this bill got passed or before ?

16. Ray

After................................

17. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Chindu is a CHOR.

Just throw his govt this time.

18. feathers

And what it says ?

19. feathers

Elections are coming , things will be out .