Rahman faces protest

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Rahman faces protest

"Hosanna...." the catchy number from Gautham Vasudev Menon's 'Ek Deewana Tha' (Hindi version of Kollywood blockbuster 'Vinnaithandi Varuavaya'), has run into trouble.

The Catholic-Christian Secular Forum (CSF) is irked with the use of word Hosanna in the song. The forum has shot off letters to authorities concerned, including music composer A R Rahman, demanding that the song be withdrawn.

"We would like to point out that "Hosanna" is a prayer in the Bible and sacred to both Jews and Christians, referring to God or Jesus Christ, with strong reverential and religious connotations. How can it be used in a film," asked CSF general secretary Joseph Dias.

CSF has written to Rahman, Fox Star Studio and Sony Music, demanding an apology.

If the forum didn't receive any response from the filmmaker and others within two days, it would approach the police and court. CSF also plans to launch a public agitation if no action is taken against the song.

Source: Filmy south

Rahman faces protest -  

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Hosanna Lyrics

Dil hote jo mere seene mein do
Doosra dil bhi main tumhe deta todne ko

Hosanna..Hosanna..Hosanna
Ho..Sannna...Hosanna..Ho...

Dilkash thi woh shaam pehle pehal
Jab ke tumse mili thi nazar
Aisa chakraya ki ab ye na jaanu
Ke jaaun tto jaaun kidhar
Hosanna tum samne thi pal
Hosanna Agle hi pal thi ojhal
Ab kya bataaun main
Kis haal mein hu main
Yahaan-wahaan bas apna dil aur hosh dhoodta hu main

Hosanna.. (Madhoshi deewanagi)
Hosanna.. (main aur teri bandagi)
Hosanna.. (ab hai yehi zindagi)
Hosanna..

Everybody wanna know be like be like
I really wanna be here with you
Is that enough to say that
We are made for each other is all that is Hosanna true

Hosanna... be there when you are calling i will be there
Hosanna... feeling like my life's changed
I never wanna be the same..
Its time we re-arrange i take a step
you take a step and me calling out to you

Helloooo... Hellooooo... Helloooo oooo
Yooo Hosanna

Ho..sanna.....oooo...

Udti hui titli ki rangeen parchhaai reh jaati hai phoolon mein
Waise hi tum ek tasveer ke jaise chhaye ho inn aankhon mein
Hosanna, Tum jo mera khwaab ho
Hosanna, Dil kyon na betaab ho
Kahoon to kya kahoon
Main kyun deewana hoon
Tumhare baare mein hi har ghadi sochta hoon kyun.

Hello.. Hello.. Hello...
Hosanna... (ab din ho ya raat ho)
Hosanna... (dil chahe tum saath ho)
Hosanna... (bas haathon mein haath ho)
Hosanna....

Dil hote jo, mere seene mein do
Doosra dil bhi main, tumhe deta todne ko

HOSANNA LYRICS – EK DEEWANA THA – HINDI SONG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Hosanna is a liturgical word in Judaism and Christianity. In Judaism, it is always used in its original Hebrew form, Hoshana.

Etymology

The word hosanna is etymologically derived from Latin osanna,[1] hosanna which itself was derived from Greek ὡσαννά, ὠσαννά,[2] representing Hebrew הושיעה־נא, הושיעה נא"Ž[3] hôšâ'-nā'[4] which is short for hôšî'â-nā' from Aramaic הושע נא"Ž[5] meaning "save, pray".[6] Christian usage has come through the Greek Bible, giving it the form ὡσαννά, hōsanná.

In liturgical context, it refers to a shout of praise and worship [7] and adoration,[8] or referring to a cry expressing an appeal for divine help.[9] It appears in numerous verses including in "Hosanna; blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord" (Mark 11.9), "hosanna in the highest" (Mark 11.10); "hosanna to the Son of David" (Matt 21:9), "help" or "save, I pray" (Psalm 118:25).

Judaism

"Hoshana" (הושענא) is a Hebrew word meaning please save or save now. [10] In Jewish liturgy, the word is applied specifically to the Hoshana Service, a cycle of prayers from which a selection is sung each morning during Sukkot, the Feast of Booths or Tabernacles. The complete cycle is sung on the seventh day of the festival, which is called Hoshana Rabbah (הושענא רבא, "Great Hosanna").[11]
[edit] Christianity

"Hosanna" (Greek transcription: ὡσαννά, hōsanna) is the cry of praise or adoration shouted in recognition of the Messiahship of Jesus on his entry into Jerusalem, Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord![12] It is used in the same way in Christian praise.

Overall, it seems that "Hosanna" is a cry for salvation; while at the same time is a declaration of praise. Therefore, it may be derived that this plea for help is out of an agreeably positive connotation.

The old interpretation "Save, now!" which may be a popular etymology, is based on Psalm 118:25 (Hebrew הוֹשִׁיעָה נָּא hOshEeah-nna) (Possibly "Savior"). This does not fully explain the occurrence of the word in the Gospels, which has given rise to complex discussions.[13]

Other examples of modern usage

The "Hosanna Anthem",[14] based on the phrase Hosanna, is a traditional Moravian Church anthem written by Bishop Christian Gregor of Herrnhut sung on Palm Sunday and the first Sunday of Advent. It is antiphonal, i.e. a call-and-response song; traditionally, it is sung between the children and adult congregation, though it is not unheard of for it to be done in other ways, such as between choir and congregation, or played between trombone choirs.

Harry Belafonte recorded a song entitled "Hosanna" on his popular 1956 album Calypso.

"Hosanna" is also the name of one of the songs featured in the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber. The song occurs in the scene in which Jesus rides on a donkey into Jerusalem, as in the above Biblical passages. Jesus is mocked by the high priest Caiaphas while his followers praise him as the Messiah.

British rock band Kula Shaker's first track on their 1999 album Peasants, Pigs and Astronauts is titled "Great Hosannah".

The English band Killing Joke uses the word in their 2006 album Hosannas from the Basements of Hell.

Many songs for church use bear the title "Hosanna", including songs written by New Zealand singer Brooke Fraser Ligertwood (released on the 2007 Hillsong United albums All of the Above and live on Saviour King and covered by the Canadian group Starfield on their album I Will Go); another version written by Paul Baloche on his 2006 album A Greater Song; another written by gospel artist Kirk Franklin, and another by Andrew Peterson on his 2008 album Resurrection Letters II.

Argentinian music and comedy group Les Luthiers recorded "Gloria Hosanna, That's the Question" on their 1971 album Sonamos Pese A Todo.

In the 1972 musical 1776, a song entitled "Cool, Cool Considerate Men" uses Hosanna repeatedly in the refrain to celebrate John Adams' absence from the Continental Congress.

A. R. Rahman composed the song "Hosanna" for the 2010 Tamil movie Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa. Here the word is used as an exclamation of joy when a man sees his beloved.

In Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim's 2010 Funny or Die Presents segment "Morning Prayer With Skott & Behr", the title characters greatly overuse the word "hosanna", often as a virtual filler word.

Architect Frank Lloyd Wright famously used the word in his exclamation "Hosanna! A client!" after securing a commission, breaking a long, dry spell.[15]

Hosanna was also used as the subject for a religious song by Henry Purcell.

Hosanna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Is this protest a "Me Too!" movement to show that even the Christians should protest on something or the other on religious ground or is it merely that some people want to be in the limelight.

In the English language, Hosanna or Helleluyah is also used as an exclamation for great joy for some unexpected boon received.

This country is getting intolerant and each religion has started agitating on flimsy issue.

We are now victims of Vote Bank politics overtaking us into ruin!

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
WTF man....this song was released years back in TN and it was a huge huge hit with no problem.

How can a Catholic Christian forum be secular? Just a thought! ;)
Indian secularism's best example. :laugh:

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Back in america, christine is calling Ram a pig. Here we are thinking if we can use Hosanna in a perfectly non abusive song.

Aahya

Country flag
Gali Gali Mein Phirta Hai Lyrics

Gali Gali Main Phirta Hai
Tu Kyu Banke Banjaara
Aa Mere Dil Me Bas Jaa
Mere Aashiq Aawara
Mere Aashiq Aawara

Gali Gali Main Phirta Hai
Tu Kyu Banke Banjaara
Aa Mere Dil Me Bas Jaa
Mere Aashiq Aawara