Ragging or third-degree torture at a Sainik School ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
^^ I am also a KV student, and I have also experienced and taken part in ragging - but never anything like physically whipping or bashing up the kids. Physical fights and maarpeet used to happen only during/after cricket/football matches, sometimes over some girl, or similar stuff. There was never any organized ragging that involved extreme physical violence.

All KVs are not same, KV in Mhow, Bhopal, Even Kolkata are good..

But said that, I also say Some are very bad yet Known to live on the name of being KV, for example child molesting cases are their too, Not many people know abt this coz it don't go out of school, regarding violence, My neighbor Kid studying in 8th grade scared to go school but never tell why, One day i saw my self he was dragged by class monitor and he was kicking him in his stomach, the teacher was not far away but didn't bother listen his screams, When i told his father abt it we went to school and Class Teacher herself supporting the boy who did these things, The boy who was monitor was a triple failure in that class for last three years, At that time his father was a Major in Army Medial Crops, From Principal to sweeper all have same attitude, In the end Major forced to put his son in Near By Army School..

blueblood

I understand what you are saying and how being able to endure difficulty builds up a mental and physical will to endure.

But then, I am afraid you may not have got the horrors of the clip, if I may say so.

I wonder if physical punishment of the third degree is essential to inculcate discipline; and that should not happens in Military academies. It ruins self respect and can maim people for life!

Command is earned through respect and not through orders and legal laws.

And all those under training are to command their troops and people follow leaders and even lay down their lives because of respect and faith in their leaders. And not through fear!

If I may explain, I have personally gone through four years of military training. Indeed, there are very difficult, physical and mental punishment that I had to endure, but I can say this openly, that I or anyone in my time, was never physically hit!

And we had a Honour Code actually in vogue and practised. Not theoretical as it is today!

It is this riff raff, who now join military academies, who bring in their criminal culture, into the academies.

It is such people who have no compassion and fail to bring up the camaraderie amongst the troops that is essential to fight wars.

They are merely BULLIES.

It is these chaps when they become officers are punch drunk with power and knowing fully well that the junior cannot retort, misuse their position and create the situation where there is 'fragging'.

It is these chaps who are ambitious and so they ride the shoulder of their men for personal gains and career improvement by doing anything their seniors want without a thought for the welfare of their command and the troops!

These are the chaps who learn only to be selfish sods.

It is not to say that all who are joining these days are riff raff.

When I was a Battalion Commander at one of these Cadet academies, I read them the riot act and even had one boy withdrawn from the academy.

To maim or break a person's self respect is not the aim of inculcating discipline. It, as far as the military is concerned, is to inculcate the ability to obey a legal command, even if it is not to one's liking (attacking in war would not be to one's liking since it could mean dying) and work as a team (and that will save one from dying wantonly because all are operating and have learnt to obey a legal command).

I think Gen Wavell said that Discipline is subjugating the self for the Good of a Team.
I understand what you are saying sir. But I assume that things may have changed since you were a cadet. Some of my friends have studied in Sainik schools, at first they used to be horrified but later they found out that washing your clothes on time and keep your shoes shining is a very important thing. Most of us on this forum are schooled in civilian institutions and a bit less shine on our shoes or shirt not properly tucked in was no big thing for us.

On the very first day at the OTA my cousin was ragged by his seniors for not putting signs on the bathroom on time.

On the day of branch selection he was beaten with hockey stick by his CO. Because, he was the best in his coy and scored a gold medal in march and shoot competition, the only medal his coy won during the entire training session. He wanted my cousin to join infantry but he selected arty, hence the punishment.

The price for a letter from home was 200 push ups or pull ups and in case of phone call, your friend will sit on your shoulder while you're talking.

Last edited:

Eiffe

This is very brutal. Ragging should be banned and the guilty must be punished.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
FYI most south-east asian countries have absolutely banned any form of ragging including even name-calling .... all complaints are taken seriously and can easily result in suspension of students concerned or outright expulsion in serious cases ...

as a result ragging doenst exist any longer .... the orientation period at the start of the new academic year has transformed into a time of cultural shows and exhibitions of art and such ...

..given that india has so many and multiplicious failed organizations such as drdo and given the lax attutude towards corruption and wastage it is not surprising that india places such a low value on human resources

it is a boorish and cowardly sign of a lack of respect for the nation and a symptom of lack of self -respect - IMHO .

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles