rafale OUT OF MRCA

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by shiv, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiv

shiv Regular Member

NEW DELHI: France's
    Dassault Aviation is out of the running for a $10 bn contract to supply India with 126 multi-role fighter jets, an Indian
    defence ministry spokesman said on Thursday.

Boeing, Lockheed Martin Corp, Russia's MiG-35, Sweden's Saab KAS-39 Gripen and the Eurofighter Typhoon, a consortium of British, German, Italian and Spanish companies, were the other parties that submitted bids last year for the contract, one of the biggest in the world.

"Rafale did not meet the usual requirement," the spokesman told Reuters.

"The other five companies are still in the race," he said.

In Paris, a Dassault Aviation spokesman had no immediate comment on the announcement.

Dassault's other leading partners in the Rafale project include Thales, which makes the radar, and engine maker Safran.

India has said it will soon begin trials of the fighter jets, as it plans to replace its ageing Soviet-era fleet. Defence officials have said the trial process could begin by end-May and could take nearly a year to test the capability of the fighters.

"It will be a long process, as we will check various things, including the capabilities of the fighters in combat scenarios," the spokesman said.

India plans to spend more than $30 billion over the next five years to modernise its largely Soviet-era weapons systems and is also launching its first military spy satellite next year.

3. shiv

shiv Regular Member

hell man that was my favorite--->

looks like we have the following

1.griped
    2.f-16
    3.super hornet
    4.mig-35
    5.eurofighter

now it comes down to mig-35 and super hornet....

it is clear that super hornet is going to sweep this ugly floor

4. shiv

shiv Regular Member

but one doubt persists that it is not confirmed and hence not official,i just saw an item where dassalt SA says it has not recieved any correspondance from the MOD stating that they have been kicked out......

so there is still a chance that it is just a rumor

5. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

I am hoping the deal is split between the MiG-35 and the Eurofighter...

6. EnlightenedMonk

But, the Defence Ministry is slow with these things... maybe Dassault will be informed "in the fullness of time", "when the moment is right", "at the appropriate juncture", "at the opportune moment" etc. etc. :bye::bye:

7. Pintu

Pintu New Member

True Shiv, now if all is true then , the competition will be between SH and MiG-35 , how ever , I feel now that MiG-35 may have the last lough.

Regards

8. shiv

shiv Regular Member

monk it is clear that super bug will win....

eurofighter is too costly and has too many constraints....

We would not be buying the Mig-35 cuz of the recent unreliability and to get us off a single supplier

9. shiv

shiv Regular Member

my point being that one of our long time aim is to diversify ourselves becauz our equipment is still 70% russian,and selecting the MIG wont help

10. shiv

shiv Regular Member

but if it is a question of funding then i think we do not have any other choice

11. VayuSena1

VayuSena1 Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

Incase the news is confirmed, which I believe is not possible, I would like to second you.

12. VayuSena1

VayuSena1 Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

And United States is a really reliable supplier under Barack Obama: nice joke. (Does Shivalik engines ring a bell?).

13. Pintu

Pintu New Member

May be Monk, but I don't think the Deal is going to split, also , also in my opinion final competition will be between F-18SH and MiG-35.

Regards

14. Pintu

Pintu New Member

15. Su-47

Su-47 Regular Member

I hope Rafale won't be kicked out. Its an awesome plane, and considering how IAF pilots love thier mirage2000s, i assumed Rafale, as mirage 2000 replacement, would have been a top contender.

the only silver lining in rafale being eliminated is that atleast now there are only 5 contestants to evaluate, so the process might be a little faster.

16. Sailor

Sailor Regular Member

The air force test team has probably had enough French dames being offered on a plate for their enjoyment as part of the enticement and wanted a change Rohit.

17. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

ok guys now what:

Indian Air Force says Rafale still in fighter competition
    By Siva Govindasamy
    The Indian Air Force has denied reports that the Dassault Rafale has been eliminated from the country’s medium multi-role combat aircraft competition.

“We have not ruled anyone out yet in the MMRCA competition,” says an IAF spokesman, who confirmed that the service is responsible for evaluating the contenders. “All of the tests have not been completed. The technical evaluations are only just over and we are scheduled to begin the flight tests next month. Everyone is still in the competition.”

Last week, several Indian newspapers reported that the Rafale was eliminated after failing the technical evaluation. When contacted, Dassault said that it is waiting for information from the French embassy in India as negotiations are conducted on a government-to-government basis. The embassy had no comment.

The aircraft was not brought to the Aero India 2009 show in Bangalore in February, leading to speculation that it was in danger of being eliminated from the competition. A senior French official, however, defended the no-show at the time saying that the country’s aircraft were required for NATO operations in Afghanistan.

Apart from the Rafale (above), the other five contenders for the $10-12 billion contract are the Boeing F/A-18E/F, Eurofighter Typhoon, Lockheed Martin F-16, RSK MiG-35, and Saab Gripen. India is scheduled to begin hot weather trials in May, and the aircraft will be tested in cold weather and humid conditions later in the year.

This is not the first time that the Indian media have reported that an aircraft has been eliminated from this closely watched competition. Early this year, it was reported that the Gripen had been knocked out but this was later proven untrue.

India is seeking 126 aircraft in the competition, of which 18 will be bought in fly-away condition and 108 license produced by Hindustan Aeronautics in the country. There is also an option for another 64 aircraft. The fighter chosen will replace the IAF’s RSK MiG-21s.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/article...says-rafale-still-in-fighter-competition.html

18. EnlightenedMonk

Flip Flop ???

19. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

All those crying for nothing?!!!! Rumors and rumors!

But I wonder how did every newspaper carried the same news then? Naturally, this sort of leak is made to only one newspaper or two by a source.

@Sailor... u seem to be too much fixated on dames Sailor?!!!! :l_kiss: :blum3:

20. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

Time to close this thread?

21. Sailor

Sailor Regular Member

Why would you close it or any thread. Please don't let us start having over moderation here like other crappy forums.

And yeah, French dames are still available to the Indian evaluation team paid for by Dassault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.