Racist attacks on Indians in Australia!

johnee

Sailor,

none of the members mean ill or bad to you or to any of the other australians in general, in case the same has come across to you then my sincere apologies to you. i would like to believe that there are some goons who are up to this act of their's and that in no way means we hold the same view about the rest of the australians. in fact i know of a lot of people in person from my friends circle and family who have moved to australia for their higher studies and believe me all of them are high in praise of the general public out there and they believe that people there are few of the most generous people especially this comes from people who have been to other countries and when they compare all of them.

the attacks that have happened from the looks of it look systematic, may be they are coordinated or may be not but such attacks certainly make the families of people who are there worried and when such news gets highlighted all over the media then it does become a cause of national debate and concern. you would appreciate the fact, had something similar happened in india with australians, people in australia would have been outraged. as far as the racial tone of these attacks is concerned, well the australian high commissioner to india has not completely ruled out the allegations so the same can not be completely written off.

i am sure with people like you and many more like you and with your all support this rather ugly situation can be brought to calm. lets all stand united over this situation something we can all fight by only being united.

cheers mate!

PS: guys i hope we can all calm down here and look at the real situation than get personal about the issue.

thanks.
Thakurji,
frankly this feeble and appeasing tone is really appalling. Lets call a spade a spade.Why are you apologising? If someone says that entire Australia is racist, then it is upto Australia to prove otherwise. What has their Govt done till now, Why didnt they do anything till GOI issued a statement, Why didnt their Media highlight these attacks and educate their public, Why do their police keep coming up with ridiculous excuses for these attacks and give 'tips' for Indians not to talk loudly or how to eat......etc?
If something similar had happened in India to any foreigner, our own media(let alone the foreign ones) would have depicted it as a national shame.

And finally, you are saying that since Australian high commissioner to India has not ruled out racial motivation, it cant be ruled out?!? So, if he/she were to rule it out, then they wouldnt be racial in nature?
It is clear to everyone that these attacks are completely racially motivated. Why do Indians have to apologise, even when we are the victims? really disappointing.

A.V.

What total crap.You don't know what you are talking about. I also have noted your disrespectful avatar pal.
I am not surprised at people who do not deserve to be in charge of this forum giving thanks for such trash, but I am surprised at Inv and Thakur, because all this talk is inflammatory and racist towards Australians and they should know better.
Racism in Australia? It is obvious that under the surface anti white hatred is alive and well in young Indians.

Now lets see one of you act like this is my fault and have the guts to ban me for my country's defense. Who is it going to be?

sailor the thanks was for the way the guy summed up his experience i very clearly understand that this was one side of the story and an equal and opposite argument to the issue needs to be heard.
the post was a bit inflammatory but not disrespectful in any way because there might be serious issues that plight a student when they go abroad to study and these student issues are majorly not addressed or goes unheard it hapens to a lot of my indian friends as well here in moscow it happens in most parts of the world and not only in australia i liked his post because he brought out the problems that a student faces in day to day life it might be true or might also sound a bit too much but he spoke from his experience and we need to hear the counter argument to his claims too

as for the forum another mod has already spoken about it and about the avatar if you find it disrespectful please report or ask the person to change there is no problem at all.

S.A.T.A

I think people need to chill down.Modern Australians, collectively as a nation,are no more racist than Indians are.We all have bad apples amidst us(remember Steins incident).when you Australians collectively as racists or say that racists and Aussies are terms interchangeable,then its not surprising if an Australian takes offense to it.

Remember when Dr Hanif was detained and arrested it was the Australian legal and media fraternity which fought the incumbent govt.Even in America scores of Indians have been shot dead in the recent years.......

P.S:Aussie relax,we called symonds monkey, but we also gave him the most expensive contract in the IPL. :)

johnee

P.S:Aussie relax,we called symonds monkey, but we also gave him the most expensive contract in the IPL. :)
Some, corrections SATA:
Symonds doesnt have the most expensive contract in IPL anymore. And when did 'WE' call Symonds monkey?(Harbhajan seems to have called Symond 'teri maa ki...' in response to being called F.O. by Symonds, the same Harbhajan also slapped Srisanth)

I think most Indians didnt even knew that calling someone monkey is racial until that controversy happened.......

And this shows the double standards that their media has followed in this whole episode. The media didnt give any space to these attacks till a statement was issued by GOI. PPL were being attacked, some were battling for their lives, but the media ignored. Compare it with their aggressive stand on the so-called racism by Indians to Symonds. Smells of hypocrisy to me...

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
What total crap.You don't know what you are talking about. I also have noted your disrespectful avatar pal.
I am not surprised at people who do not deserve to be in charge of this forum giving thanks for such trash, but I am surprised at Inv and Thakur, because all this talk is inflammatory and racist towards Australians and they should know better.
Racism in Australia? It is obvious that under the surface anti white hatred is alive and well in young Indians.

Now lets see one of you act like this is my fault and have the guts to ban me for my country's defense. Who is it going to be?
No need to show heroism Sailor.
This is no anti-white racism Sailor. Nor are there any personal attacks against you.
Nor are we here to present a test of loyalties. Australia has one big problem right now, and hurling petrol bombs at my countrymen, stabbing them, almost blinding them is no joke.
We don't believe in hatred, but don't expect appreciation of these wild acts.

And please stop directing all the posts onto yourself. They are meant for the Aussie govt. , not individuals. No-one is generalizing for every Australian.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
India summons Australian envoy over attack on Indian overseas students

NEW DELHI, May 29 (Xinhua) -- India on Friday summoned Australian High Commissioner John McCarthy to the External Affairs Ministry to lodge an official concern about the recent spate of racial attacks on Indian students studying in Australia.

"The Ministry asked McCarthy to ensure the safety of Indian students in Australia. McCarthy assured India that Australia would take steps to prevent such incidents from recurring," a senior Indian External Affairs Ministry official said, on condition of anonymity.

Later, External Affairs Minister S. M. Krishna told the media, "We are worried about the safety of Indian citizens, particularly the students. The Indian government is in constant touch with the Australian authorities with a view to addressing issues concerning the well-being and physical safety of our students."

Speaking to the media after the meeting, McCarthy said, "I was asked to come to the Ministry of External Affairs to discuss the recent attacks on Indian students in Australia. Secretary Mr. N. Ravi conveyed Indian concerns very clearly and urged that we take steps to ensure that these sorts of incidents do not occur."

At least four Indian students became victims of "racial" attacks in Australia, with one currently in a serious condition after being stabbed in Melbourne, according to earlier media reports.

India summons Australian envoy over attack on Indian overseas students _English_Xinhua

Su-47

I am sure that not every attack on Indians are racially motivated but it seems that a lot of them are. When attackers use racial abuses and slurs, isn't it evident that what prompted them to attack is hatred towards that particular race?

The biggest problem about the Australian government seems to be their denial of racist intent in these attacks. Racist attacks are a sad part of this world, but when the government of a country denies it when it is apparent, then it seems as if that government is condoning those attacks.

A governments policy is a very big part of how the nation is viewed by the outside world. We all view North Korea as a rogue nation not because of the views of the people in the country, but that of the government. By denying racist inent in these attacks, its as if the govt and police are unwilling to commit themselves to fighting racism. This naturally gives off the perception of the nation being racist. If the Aussie govt had accepted the truth about these attacks, then the outside world will view the nation more favorably.

Sailor, i would just like to repeat the point made by some other members here. We are not labelling the entire nation of Australia as racist. I know friends studying in Australia who have a lot of Aussie friends and get along fine, and they have never had any race related problems. I also know that you yourself are not racist, and can understand your anger when some people call Australia racist, but when a nation's government and media tend to ignore racism against Indians, isn't it also understandable that we are upset and want to get justice?

Just imagine for a minute if some Australian is attacked in a foreign on the basis of race, with attackers calling them racial insults like, "white b@st@rd" etc, and the media and the govt of the country deny any involvement of racism in the incident. What would your perception of that country be?

Antimony

Calm down guys

Things seem to have gone downhill on this thread since yesterday, with feeling of victimsation on both sides.

you will always have racist, casteist, religious and other crap wherever you have differences. what is important is that the Aussie government seems to be doing something about it. For their own good.

Ozland has about 93,000 Indian students. Education is their 3rd largest Forex earner, upto $2 bn a year. They will be foolish if they do not do something about it

Antimony

I am sure that not every attack on Indians are racially motivated but it seems that a lot of them are. When attackers use racial abuses and slurs, isn't it evident that what prompted them to attack is hatred towards that particular race?
If possible, stand your ground (clearly not possible in the cases listed above):2guns:

I have done it, feels good:wink:

johnee

It is not so small to take it lightly

Australian Police says they have recorded 500 cases of assault on Indian students between October 2008 and March 2009.

4th attack in Australia: Petrol bomb hurled at Indian

Not only Indians Srilankans too have been attacked

Two men charged over acid attack on Sri Lankan students | The Australian
And this is just reported incidents. If reported incidents are 500, then how many would have gone unreported especially since not much seems to have been done when incidents get reported. Also, these are those incidents when racism takes violent expression, but there would be so many more incidents when Indians(and sub-continent guys) have to undergo racial discrimination and racial taunts that far exceed the number of 500.

you will always have racist, casteist, religious and other crap wherever you have differences. what is important is that the Aussie government seems to be doing something about it. For their own good.
Exactly. Well said. You have hit the nail on its head. If the Aussie Govt, their police, their media doesnt take action, if they dont support the victims then, there is nothing wrong in labeling Australia as a racist nation. Fringe elements exist in every nation, but they dont dare to go on such blatant, audocious, public rampage against foreigners unless they are confident that there wont be any repurcussions. Anyway, this fringe doesnt make any nation racist, it is the reaction to this fringe group by the majority, media, public, govt and other institutions that decide whether the nation is racist or not. If Aussie Govt doesnt take steps to punish the culprits and protect Indians from any future attack, if their media doesnt highlight this and educate their ppl, if the majority dont condemn these attacks and support the victims then, Australia is a racial nation. Period. No apologising or appeasing tone. The same would apply to any other nation including India.

Antimony

And this is just reported incidents. If reported incidents are 500, then how would have gone unreported especially since not much seems to have been done when incidents get reported. Also, these are those incidents when racism takes violent expression, but there would be so many more incidents when Indians(and sub-continent guys) have to undergo racial discrimination and racial taunts that far exceed the number of 500.
As I said before, stand up to them if its not a security threat. Most of these "incidents" are perpetrated by people not armed to the teeth, and sometimes co-workers. They back down as soon as you start standing your ground.

Bullies do not have a reputation for bravery

If its not safe to do this, exit out of the situation and if required report it to the authorities

johnee

As I said before, stand up to them if its not a security threat. Most of these "incidents" are perpetrated by people not armed to the teeth, and sometimes co-workers. They back down as soon as you start standing your ground.

Bullies do not have a reputation for bravery

If its not safe to do this, exit out of the situation and if required report it to the authorities
The prob is not at individual level but systemic level, so solution must also be at systemic level. It is the system that needs changes, individuals can resist once or twice but they are vulnerable without the support from the system.
So, the real question, if an individual exhibits racial tones, then he and he alone is responsible but if a system exhibits racial tones, who is to be blamed? IMO, the entire system.....

youngindian

Country flag
I THINC MAC MOHAN has done a good job

MOD alert:

the name of the prime minister is manmohan singh, if you did not know, well i leave it at that but henceforth make sure you know the name of the prime minister or else you can just address him as Mr prime minister, and if this is intentional, then henceforth be rest assured such posts shall be deleted at once.

thanks.

johnee

Tips For Indian In Oz by fellow Indians living there

By Bhavik Bhatt
A few tips for Indians as well regarding how to behave when they are in a foreign country:

* Avoid speaking in foreign language in public places. This annoys the English-speaking people and leads to a negative impression about Indian mentality and culture
* Try to use 'please' and 'thank you' frequently
* Be polite while asking for something
* Avoid speaking loudly
* Do not react to negative comments
* Stay away from mobs and crowds of youngsters
* Travel in cars and do not visit pubs and night clubs
By Sandeep Kumar

I will tell you some of the basics things that Indians should avoid when they come to Australia.

* Always have a friendly attitude with everyone (specially the new students, they are very shy when it comes to talking to people).
* Always maintain eye contact with a smile.
* Always greet people (saying 'Good morning' or 'Hello, how are you doing today?')
* Never ever talk in Hindi or other languages when you are standing next to Aussies. This is a very big humiliating thing to those people. Always talk in English.
By Hemant Rathod

The question is not "How to avoid attacks", the question is "How serious Aussie Govt is about saving this $20 million industry".

Today only Indian students are the victims in these incidents, why is this not happening to any Middle Eastern student or any African refugee? It's because these cowards know that we are soft targets. When something like this happens, the community doesn't protest. We just tell students how to avoid these kinds of situations.

The truth is India contributes over $20 million every year to the Australian education industry through these international students. But they don't even bother to show these attacks in the news.
India is the 12th Largest Economy while Australia is 3 places behind. We don't need them, they need us and if we don't make them realise this fact nothing is going to happen.
Imagine police saying the same thing about security -- that you have to look after your own security, the police can't protect each and everyone -- to any Middle Eastern guy. They won't dare, because they think the situation is totally different.
What are you suggesting is that these students should give up their nightlife, their freedom and dreams to just avoid some impotent community?
We are from the land of Mahatma Gandhi [ Images ] who fought for our rights and truth. So we will do the same thing, we will fight for our rights. We pay higher fees than anyone else and don't receive any benefits from the government. We are not doing charity, we give them business which makes their economy strong. Someone suggested that students not try to be heroes but I say if you can't fight for your rights then you are not safe in your own country.

vish

Seriously, what's up with everybody?

I will never call Australia racist but won't deny that I believe that racism exists in Australia. How deep-rooted it is, is something that will always be debatable. Same goes for India or America or Britain or Canada or any other country for that matter.

PS: Many of the posts in this thread were utterly tasteless.

johnee

Anger grows over Indian student bashings - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

A police officer from Victoria leaves for India this weekend on a mission to meet with students planning to visit Australia and to teach them how to stay safe.
But the initiative by Victoria Police has been criticised by the local Islamic Council, which says the police should spend more time arresting racists and less time trying to teach Indians to look less Indian.
Australia hosts about 400,000 foreign students and a large proportion of them come from the subcontinent. Their numbers have risen by almost 40 per cent in the last year alone.

But for many the stay in Australia has not been entirely pleasant. Melbourne has suffered a big increase this year in violent attacks against visiting foreign students, and those from India appear to have been targeted in particular.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
An appeal to everybody

Over the past two days this thread has constantly degenerated into a no-holds-barred mudslinging match between India and Australia. Some of the posts here, as mentioned by vish earlier were "tasteless" to say the least.

And, here, let me remind you that our forum prides itself at being neutral and we pride ourselves at upholding the neutral values and engaging in constructive discussions and not degenerate discussions like the current one.

I firmly believe that the quality of our forum has been let down by such an unsubstantiated show of aggression against the Australians and calling them names such as racist etc.

For the record, let me tell you that I am also personally incensed by these attacks and believe that the Police and Government did not do enough to protect these chaps and am extremely appalled with their media which initially refused to even acknowledge these attacks and give a bit of airtime to them.

But, all said and done, I do not consider our behaviour on this forum to be any better than the goons on the Streets in Australia who go around targetting individuals (either Racially or otherwise)...

I want all of you to take a timeout and think for five minutes after reading this post as to what your behaviour on this thread has been and how much hurt it could have caused to one of our most unbiased members (Sailor)... indeed, if he walks out of this forum, it will be a great loss to the forum...

If after this reading this and contemplating for a few minutes you people think that your behaviour has been no less than perfect, then please continue with whatever it is that you were doing and continue with posting those threads (which I personally consider hateful)... But, if you think that you were wrong, I believe that we all (whether we have posted on this thread or not) owe Sailor and apology.

And, I am all for strengthening the moderation critera especially for sensitive threads such as this...

And, as a last appeal, I openly urge the moderators to lock this thread immediately because it only leads to bad blood...

This is degenerating into an argument from a debate.... A debate tries to prove what is right, an argument tries to prove who is right...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles