Racist attacks on Indians in Australia!

Pintu

With respect to all this members here I truely believe that those racists whatever countries they belongs to are not human at all and only a small fraction of the number of the population, but concern is that if they tries to generate a mass hatred, which is their goal. As they tried in Australia.

You have ethnic groups in India who blow each other up in trains and stuff so you can't say much about Australia.
Off course Sailor, we do have but can not recall that group of foreigners roaming in the street are racially abused here.

Regards

Antimony

The Aussie Govt should be blamed here. They tried to hush hush the matter, until GOI took it up. BTW, we all need to remember that not every racist incident involves voilence. There must be racial taunts, verbal attacks and then they finally culminate into this kind of incident. Aussie Govt doesnt seem to care.....
The Aussie government has started holding delegations for Indian students to counsel them about safety.

If they do not clean up this act, the will start losing the student crowd.

Pintu

Aussie police arrest 2 teenagers in Indian assault case

Aussie police arrest 2 teenagers in Indian assault case

Melbourne, May 28 (PTI) Australian police today arrested two teenagers allegedly involved in a racist attack on Indian student Saurabh Sharma in a Melbourne train,even as two youths from the country remained hospitalised with life-threatening serious injuries received in similar assaults.
Sharma, 21, who was bashed and robbed by a group of teenagers in a train on May 9. Police are now questioning the two boys, aged 16 and 18, after searching two homes today. CCTV footage of the bashing helped police identify the alleged attackers.

Police are still searching for three other males in relation to the assault, the Victorian Police statement said here. In a fresh incident such attack on Indians in Australia, a 25-year old student Baljinder Singh was stabbed here on Monday.

Meanwhile, condition of another youth Shravan Kumar who was assaulted in a separate incident remained critical.

However, Federation of Indian Student Association (FISA) Gautam Gupta said Kumar has started receiving utmost medical care in the intensive care unit of the local hospital.

FISA members today said, Indian High Commissioner Sujatha Singh who has flown from Canberra to address the issue will hold a press conference tomorrow to deliberate on the recent attacks. PTI

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Another Indian student assaulted in Melbourne

IANS

Melbourne: An Indian student, who was robbed and stabbed in Melbourne, had pleaded with his attackers who just laughed at him, a media report said.
Baljinder Singh had left a railway station on Monday when two men carrying weapons approached him and demanded money. As he searched through his bag to hand over his wallet he was stabbed in the abdomen, Herald Sun reported.
"They just laughed when they stabbed me in the stomach. They laughed at me...I was screaming 'don't kill me, don't kill me'," he said.
The 25-year-old student said fears among the Indian student population in Melbourne were growing after a spate of attacks.
Singh said he once believed Melbourne was a safe place to live in, but now thinks that Indian nationals were being targeted as easy prey.
"Now there are lots of attacks. You can see that in the western suburbs," he said.
Darrell Allen, a police official, said it was an opportunistic crime and was not racially motivated.
"I don't think it's racially motivated. It's an opportunistic crime and it's of great concern," he said.
The attack follows another attack on an Indian student on a train May 9.
Sourabh Sharma, 21, was beaten by a group of thugs, one of whom is shown laughing in the video footage of the attack.
Another Indian student assaulted in Melbourne

news clipping by times now
: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videoshow/4589461.cms

Pintu

This is truely Barbaric and Inhuman, any word is not sufficient for protest this.

Regards

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
My cousin studies in Sydney, and judges it to be relatively safe.
He was attacked during his trip to Melbourne, fortunately he managed to sneak out unhurt.

Australians are damn sensitive about cricket. My cousin was on the verge of being kicked out from a cafe, when he said that he was supporting India in the match.
From then on, he was forced to show support for the Aussies.

They have this ego problem of losing their jobs to Indians, who they still wish to be viewed as poor, third world citizens.

Antimony

Off course Sailor, we do have but can not recall that group of foreigners roaming in the street are racially abused here.

Regards
You are right, we are above racism:sarcastic:

We just believe in other forms of discrimination

NikSha

That's how the world works. You have to lie to make others feel good so that you can stick around spreading your own propaganda (unless of course you are someone like badguy, who posts with the "iron fist of china").

PS: I love you all.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
We are a multicultural society. Our glorious politicians created this paradise of all peoples coming together to live in peace and have a new life away from old hatreds.
Only one thing wrong. It doesn't all work. Older married people with families assimilate after a generation but it all takes time.
You need to come to Canada and learn how to make multiculturalism work. Such racist attacks are practically unheard of here.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
It is a very very unfortunate and regrettable incident, and I hope that the Australian government sincerely looks into the matter and takes the necessary action.

However, I feel that we should not stereotype any nation and its nationals due to such an incident. Hope you guys agree.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
'Petrol bomb hurled' at Indian youth in Australia

'Petrol bomb hurled' at Indian youth in Australia

'Petrol bomb hurled' at Indian youth in Australia - Indians Abroad - World - The Times of India

29 May 2009, 0911 hrs IST, PTI

MELBOURNE: In a fresh attack targeting Indians in Australia, a student suffered up to 30% burns after a suspected petrol bomb was hurled at him in his home in Sydney.

According to local newspaper for Indian community, South Asia Times, 25-year-old Rajesh Kumar was quickly covered by a blanket by his flatmate after the attack yesterday, an act which saved him from further injuries.

Kumar was sitting on his bed in the front room of his rented house when an unknown person threw what neighbours say was a small petrol bomb through his window. The explosion and subsequent fire left Kumar with burns to a third of his body.

The latest attack came as Shravan Kumar, a 25-year-old student from Andhra Pradesh, was fighting for life in a hospital here after being stabbed by a screwdriver by a group of teens in a weekend attack that also left three of his friends injured. Doctors have said they were not very optimistic about Kumar's recovery.

Another student Baljinder Singh, stabbed by two attackers with a screwdriver early this week, has been released from hospital today.

A New South Wales Fire Brigades spokesman said Rajesh Kumar's flatmate Arminder Singh did the right thing when he grabbed a blanket and threw it over his friend, helping to extinguish the flames.

"He was crying, on fire. He lay down on the ground and I put the blanket on him," Singh said adding "I told him everything was going to be OK. He was asking: 'Is my face OK?"

Singh, 33, said he was halfway between the laundry and kitchen when he heard the sound of smashing glass and his friend screaming. He and another flatmate, Chander Mohan, said they saw Kumar run out of his bedroom and out the front door with his back and arms on fire.

Singh and Mohan said the attack was terrifying. "We could not sleep, we could not eat all night," Singh said.

They had moved into the house with Kumar and two other flatmates in February but were moving out again as soon as possible, Mohan said.

He said Kumar had no enemies and had not been in any trouble. "We don't know why," Mohan said.

Singh said he had been robbed on the street three times in the past two months.

johnee

My cousin studies in Sydney, and judges it to be relatively safe.
He was attacked during his trip to Melbourne, fortunately he managed to sneak out unhurt.

Australians are damn sensitive about cricket. My cousin was on the verge of being kicked out from a cafe, when he said that he was supporting India in the match.
From then on, he was forced to show support for the Aussies.

They have this ego problem of losing their jobs to Indians, who they still wish to be viewed as poor, third world citizens.
I think melbourne suburbs are really bad as far as racist attacks are concerned. And all this losing job, cricket or whatever is just an excuse really. It all boils down to what they really are. IMO, some aussies try to be whiter than white. You know, sharing the white man's burden and all......

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
it seems like taliban regime when The Melbourne police is telling indians not to speak in your native language while walking on street and not to listen ipods while travelling; cause it is against oz values.
this is every day's story when indians are bullied and are told; what to do, what not to do and even what to eat in colleges.
university professors feel proud telling new indian students to show restrain when australians are humiliating you in their slang language. Australians have learnt and have developed all the statements to justify mischiff's of Australians. the news posted here about petrol bomb is 3 days old and was never heard on any oz news channels , radio, newspaper.
if the same would have happen to any oz citizen with special colour and religion; the 2GB radio commentator The true blue oz superman would have been jumping on his chair to abuse/exploring negative family history and referring to oz govt's mercy to these beggars when were given PR as charity. the same happened when Dr. Mohd. hanif was detained as suspected terrorist.
The problem is not at the unit level it is systemic and can be valued by the recent comments on BBC, 5 days back by ex CEO of telstra company who left this country months before schedule.
The solution to this problem is not to get into oz help line matrix for indian students but to react appropriately.
Your silence is considered as your weakness. let it be broken, and let the world know what these oz branded civilized user unfriendly people are up to. let us create pressure and make them feel that it is very costlier misadventure to encourage these snatcher for the whole community it self.
Australian way of life cant be everyone's way of life even if they are living among australians and vice-versa. the recent example was of the lady who was jailed for 5 years in Thailand alleged stealing beer mat and misbehaving with police. ''she would have given medal in Australia for the same'' quote; 2 GB radio commentator.
people have to learn very fast that today such encouragements are costing life of innocent foreigners, tomorrow it will cost lives of Australian.
regards.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
it may be inflammatory a bit cause the guy burnt alive is my friend and please give proper reference to your own perception about young racist Indians , i am not generalizing the whole oz public in my comments. please explain clearly about my avatar i be quite happy to change it.
thanks.

johnee

Sailor,

Saying that Indians are getting attacked for being Indians is racial?!?
You are trying to defend the undefendable. Then you go on to blame that young Indians have anti-white hatred! really?!?
So, have you ever come across any incident where young Indians have bashed the whites in or out of India? Have you heard of any incident where Indians have thrown petrol bombs at the residences of whites?
You are just making your support for these racial attacks obvious. If you truly want to defend your country than you should be leading the charge against these racial attacks and those ppl who indulge in it. By doing the opp, you are not doing any favour to your country or countrymen. Infact, you are strengthening the image of Australia as a racist nation.

johnee

5 Teenagers held for attack
Five teenagers have been charged for two separate attacks on Indian students in this Australian city, as an official held the assaults were not racially motivated.

One teenager was charged with attempted murder over the attack with a screwdriver on 25-year-old Sravan Kumar Theerthala who is battling for his life, while four others were charged with brutally beating up Sourabh Sharma, 21, on a train.

"A 17-year-old male from Glenroy was charged with attempted murder after four Indian students were attacked with a screwdriver by gatecrashers at a party in Hadfield, in Melbourne's north, on Saturday night. One of the victims remains in intensive care in hospital," The Age reported on Friday.

An 18-year-old man from Heidelberg West was questioned in relation to the attack but has since been released.

The police have also charged four minors from Melbourne's west over the brutal bashing of Sharma who was going home on a Werribee line train after a shift at KFC, the report said.

The teenagers have been charged with offences including affray, intentionally causing injury, recklessly causing injury and robbery.

However, Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe said there was no indication that a rise in assaults and robberies against Indian students in Melbourne's west was due to "race hate". :eek: {In the case of Sharavan & Sourabh, there were racial abuses. They could also have been opportunistic. How can this Police officer say the attacks were not due to "race hate" ? Why is he saying this when racial abuse is so very obvious ? These cases must also be treated as 'racial attacks'}

He said there was a perception that Indian people were weak prey for criminals.

"I don't think they are (racist crimes) in general ... more opportunistic activity.

"We think they are vulnerable, we don't think it's racial, we think they are a weak target," Walshe told The Herald Sun.

Mr. Walshe said a taskforce was working with representatives of Melbourne's Indian community to catch those responsible for the attacks.

Three attacks on Indian students have taken place in quick succession, with the first incident being reported May 9 while the most recent took place Monday.

Mr. Theerthala, who was assaulted on Sunday in Melbourne along with three other students, is battling for his life in intensive care unit in The Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Mr. Theerthala, who hails from Andhra Pradesh, went to Melbourne to study two years ago.

The attackers allegedly hurled racist abuses at Indian students and hit them with a screwdriver.

Another Indian student Baljinder Singh was robbed and stabbed in Melbourne on Monday.

Mr. Singh had left a railway station when two men carrying weapons approached him and demanded money. As he searched through his bag to hand over his wallet he was stabbed in the abdomen, Herald Sun reported.

He said: "They just laughed when they stabbed me in the stomach. They laughed at me...I was screaming 'don't kill me, don't kill me'." He was released from hospital on Friday.

Australian police on Thursday arrested two teenagers over the beating of yet another Indian student on a Melbourne train.

Sourabh Sharma, was beaten by a group of young men as he travelled on a train May 9.

Mr. Sharma suffered a fractured cheek bone and a broken tooth in the attack, which was captured on closed circuit television cameras.

He said he was also racially abused and robbed during the attack.

Sailor

Saying that Indians are getting attacked for being Indians is racial?!?
You are trying to defend the undefendable. Then you go on to blame that young Indians have anti-white hatred! really?!?
So, have you ever come across any incident where young Indians have bashed the whites in or out of India? Have you heard of any incident where Indians have thrown petrol bombs at the residences of whites?
You are just making your support for these racial attacks obvious. If you truly want to defend your country than you should be leading the charge against these racial attacks and those ppl who indulge in it. By doing the opp, you are not doing any favour to your country or countrymen. Infact, you are strengthening the image of Australia as a racist nation.
Hahahah! Look who gave thanks for that racial diatribe.

No one wants to acknowledge that 19 million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand nine hundred and ninety five Australians haven't been arrested for bashing Indians, but you want to fight me for the five that did. I won't discuss crap any more I will just fight back.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador

No one wants to acknowledge that 19 million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand nine hundred and ninety five Australians haven't been arrested for bashing Indians, but you want to fight me for the five that did. I won't discuss crap any more I will just fight back.
Sailor, I am not sure why you feel that someone wants to fight you. You obviously don't represent those 5 bastards unless you want to.

Passions are obvisously inflamed after these criminal acts that do seem racially motivated and saying that there is a racial fringe in Australia is saying the obvious. That does not take away from the rest of the millions of decent Australians who have made their country one of the greatest in the world with quite an open culture.

P.S.: I would advise to not comment on the mods in public but to send PM to the mods and report any post that you find offensive.

johnee

Alright! So, what exactly constitutes 'racial diatribe' in your view?
I havent said anything against you, I havent said anything against Australia in general. I am saying dont support racial attacks, I am saying condemn them harshly without any ifs and buts. If you dont do that, If you dont condemn violence against Indians(or for that matter any foreigners) by your countrymen, then you are indirectly and passively supporting them. Then we wouldnt be wrong to label you or your country as racial.
So, whether your country becomes racial or not depends on you and others like you(the rest of the 19 million plus) and not on those 5 guys. Your country's image depends on how you tackle this menace, it depends on how harshly you condemn those attacks, it depends on how passionately you protect your guests. It finally depends on All Australians and your Govt. So, far your Govt and your ppl havent done much to assure the victims, their families or their nations that Australia is a safe place for 'third worlders'. Your Govt, Your Media and Your ppl have shown extreme negligence to obviously simmering racial feelings among SOME Australians towards foreign nationals. So, its time to correct that.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Sailor,

none of the members mean ill or bad to you or to any of the other australians in general, in case the same has come across to you then my sincere apologies to you. i would like to believe that there are some goons who are up to this act of their's and that in no way means we hold the same view about the rest of the australians. in fact i know of a lot of people in person from my friends circle and family who have moved to australia for their higher studies and believe me all of them are high in praise of the general public out there and they believe that people there are few of the most generous people especially this comes from people who have been to other countries and when they compare all of them.

the attacks that have happened from the looks of it look systematic, may be they are coordinated or may be not but such attacks certainly make the families of people who are there worried and when such news gets highlighted all over the media then it does become a cause of national debate and concern. you would appreciate the fact, had something similar happened in india with australians, people in australia would have been outraged. as far as the racial tone of these attacks is concerned, well the australian high commissioner to india has not completely ruled out the allegations so the same can not be completely written off.

i am sure with people like you and many more like you and with your all support this rather ugly situation can be brought to calm. lets all stand united over this situation something we can all fight by only being united.

cheers mate!

PS: guys i hope we can all calm down here and look at the real situation than get personal about the issue.

thanks.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles