'Racial profiling' in Hyderabad university sparks row

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

A varsity initiative to end drinking & drug use on campus took an ugly turn as the V-C suggested to faculty members they begin with students from the northeast.

http://toi.in/Bppx2b

3. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

What a pathetic bunch of losers. Trying a stupid racial profiling in the same country having the same genes all over the land. Wish those who started it should interact with foreign neo-Nazis. Bloody douchebags.

maomao likes this.
  4. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Alleged discrimination against N-E students, and presto - the comments in ToI are a fight between the "North" and "South".

5. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

This is why a region based government in Center is not good; especially such a colonial one. People are so stupid they just don't realize.

On one side we have heroic people like Anna ji who is loved by all the Indians, fierce patriots like the recent Bhagat Singh Kranti Sena people who targeted that lout called Bhushan, and then we have these regionalist scum who have to be targeted and wiped out secretly. That method of centralized targeting and eliminating these scum is the only method of unifying the country.

It might sound un-ethical but I despise regionalism. Though despite being NE, I was never considered different, I am talking about ALL regions in India who have regionalistic scum.

- Bal and Raj Thackerays

- Karunanidhis

- Paresh Baruahs etc

Such regionalist/tribalist scum are a burden to this country.

maomao and Rahul Singh like this.
  6. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Before jumping the gun, it would be better to learn facts on ground. Example, lets say there are 3 southies in a varsity in dilli. Let us say that these 3 are junkies and others are also getting influenced by them. So, the varsity starts a program which starts with these junkies who happen to be southies. Is it racial profiling?

The point to ponder is whether it is deliberate racial profiling or simply co-incidental?

PS: not ruling out deliberate racial profiling. Just saying, dont jump the gun.

7. Bangalorean

Tshering,

All this talk of targeted assassination is teenage fantasy.

The underlying assumption is that "these regionalist scum" are "inflaming the public" to do "bad things". That is such typical Indian bullshit. Put all the blame on "bloody politicians and leaders" - they are responsible for everything bad in life.

The reality is that these leaders have a great groundswell of support. These leaders exist because enough people follow and support their thoughts and ideas. What will your assassination achieve? He will become a martyr and will be replaced by someone else. And if word gets out about who assassinated him, entire cities and states will burn.

High time we understand that regionalism exists, in different forms and to different extents, in every damn place in the nation. And then, deal with it. Not with teenage ideas like assassination, but more sensible approaches.

Param and Phenom like this.
  8. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

Some people believe students from N-E are more prone to get addicted to drinking and drugs. Reason is that those students from small towns cannot adjust with the attraction of big cities and often go wrong way. As an football fan I have seen many players come and join in top clubs in India when they are in teens. But within few years they just vanish from scene. People involved with football in Kolkata say that these boys dont have the sense what is right and what is wrong; they dont have their families present here to guide them. So they fall for the things the big cities offer them.

However, it can happen with students from any states. Efforts should be made to take care of these boys and girls irrespective of their origin instead of making a hullabaloo ..........the ultimate cause may get lost in it.

9. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

Tshering, your ideas simply won't work in India. India is a subcontinent, not just a country, and has been home to a diverse group of peoples and languages throughout millenia. India is like Europe, not like the US or China. Trying to stamp out "regionalism" will only result in blowback and civil war. Many of the constituent states of India have their own glorious histories, and until a few centuries ago competed fiercely with other states for supremacy in the subcontinent.

The many empires that sprung out of these regions: the Marathas, the Vijaynagar Empire, the Asoms, the Mauryas, the Cholas and so many others that have been forgotten are remembered and revered by the people of those states, and there is no reason why these people should diminish their historical identities to the point where they engulf themselves within a vague, greater Indian identity.

10. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

I have friends from there so i get to say this.Iam living in a place for say 20years I don't know from where to source drugs.This guy comes to study he will know where to get in a month.Some of them come here to study and they already come here with some drug issues.I think its got something to do with the insurgencies and the lack of general Law and order there

Frank discussion though tad uncomfortable gives solutions to a lot of problems.Some NE chaps have a serious drug problem that is true compared to Indians from other regions

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  11. Bangalorean

Here's another stereotype - almost all drug peddling in Bangalore is carried out by Nigerians. :troll:

EDIT: It is true though, the biggest drug ring in Bangalore is staffed mainly by Nigerians...

12. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Truth actually ditto in hyderabad

13. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

In TN, It is branded, and the name is "Mariathaaaa"

Heard about it Idiot ?

14. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Banglorean,
    all kinds of emotions exist in all people. But certain type of emotions are amplified by certain ideologies or personalities or organisations.

Secondly, people tend to take 'successful' & 'powerful' people as role-models.

Lastly, power provides the ability to enforce and encourage one's ideology.

Therefore, leaders play a vital role in moulding the society. Yatha raja, thata praja...

15. Bangalorean

Well, IMHO while yatha raja thata praja is true to an extent, the reverse also applies equally. Both parties have a responsibility.

My take is that blaming the "bloody shit eating politician" for all our problems is not going to take us very far. There is a lot more to it. And not just about this whole 'regionalism' thing - in every aspect of daily life in India.

16. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

If this had happened in north then this thread would have gone differently.

Accept that idiots exist throughout India.

17. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I think a bit of sensationalism is being spread. It's possible that the college authorities would have come to know of drug running and also that students from north east involved in it. As usual, PR is not the forte of Indians and a good up at the way the whole thing was carried out.

15 years ago, NE guys in my college were doing the same. And yes the ones from Africa as well who also ran a prostitution racket apart from drugs.

18. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Anyone can be an addict.....I know so many North Indians who take such substances......and on the contrary I know hell lods of NE Indians who are complete teetotalers (don't even smoke).....Majority of college kids these days drinks and I am sure Hydrabadis are no less / far behind, why Blame NE??

P.S: The majority of drug peddling in metro cities is done by Nigerians/Africans, no doubt at every nightclub or event you will find them....they have formed gangs and are getting violent day by day.....we can see one of the deadliest Ghettos called Nigerwaddi in Mumbai, where these Africans rule and police cannot enter due to usual reason such as - police takes bribes from these characters!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011