Quran with Bhagavad Gita in a communal harmony class in UP madrassa

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by ejazr, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Quran with Bhagavad Gita in a communal harmony class | TwoCircles.net

By Asit Srivastava, IANS,

Varanasi : Holding the Quran in one hand and the Bhagavad Gita in the other, Mukhtar Ahmad conducts "a class of communal harmony" at a madrassa in Uttar Pradesh's Varanasi district to enable students to draw similarities between Islam and Hinduism.

Welcome to Bahrul-Uloom madrassa (Islamic seminary) in Chittanpura town where like Ahmad several other Muslim teachers are involved in imparting lessons of brotherhood and unity to inculcate "moral values" in their students.

"Our main objective behind teaching Hindu scriptures along with the Quran is to undertake a comparative study of the holy books of the two religions to enable our students to draw similarity between Islam and Hinduism," Ahmad, a teacher at the Islamic seminary, told IANS.

"By drawing similarity between the two religions, students will be able to correlate the teachings of Quran with those of the Bhagavad Gita and other Hindu ancient text, which in turn would enable them to respect the two religions in the same manner," he added.

The Hindu scriptures were introduced one year ago in the syllabi of the Behroom-Uloom madrassa with an aim to spread communal harmony and brotherhood. The private Islamic seminary was set up in 1964.

"The management always asked the teachers to come up with ideas and suggestions for making students good in academics, improving their performance and inculcating moral values," 58-year-old Ahmad said.

"In our discussions, we unanimously agreed that apart from grooming students and preparing them for future challenges, our other main objective was to churn out good human beings from the seminary," he said.

"A few seminary teachers proposed to introduce the comparative study of the Bhagavad Gita with the Quran that was already being taught to students. The sole objective was to make students imbibe the teachings of the religious books," he added.

Today, not only the Bhagavad Gita, the four Vedas -- Rig, Sama, Yajur and Atharva -- are taught to the students along with subjects like Hindi, English and Computer Science.

The teachers first read the scriptures themselves for four-five months and then impart the knowledge to the students.

Seminary officials said the Hindu scriptures were initially introduced in the classes equivalent to 10-12 standards. But now they also form the course content of lower classes.

There are over 2,500 students -- both boys and girls -- enrolled in different classes of the madrassa.

"While we admit boys only till Class 8, we have the provision for enrolling the girls till Class 12," said Hadis Alam, another teacher at the madrassa.

As there is no Hindu student at the madrassa, the Islamic seminary officials believe they would soon get their first batch of Hindu students with the introduction of Hindu scriptures in the syllabi.

Ahmad said the location of the madrassa in a Muslim-dominated area could be preventing the Hindus from sending their kids there.

"But the introduction of Hindu scriptures in the syllabi has been considerably appreciated by our Hindu brothers. We believe we would soon have Hindu students seeking admission in Bahrul-Uloom," he added.

maomao likes this.
  3. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

4. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

[cynic]

What I have personally experienced is.
    • Many Muslims will first point out some similarities between the two books.
    • Then an attempt will be made to equate Gita to the Quran.
    • Now evidence of monotheism in Gita will be given.
    • Person will claim Krishna is one of the Prophets of Allah.
    • General agreement would be that Hinduism is just another distorted form of Islam
    • Person would then conclude that Islam is the final, most perfect religion.

[/cynic]

RickBLood, Nagraj, parijataka and 4 others like this.
  5. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

You've been on Peace TV?
    Zakir Naik.

6. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

LB is highly cynical. :lol:

There was a huge event in Bangalore around 6-8 years back, by Zakir Naik on a similar theme. One of my Muslim friends was severely excited and kept badgering me to join in - he said that it would be a good study in "differences and similarities between Islam and Hinduism". Since I am least interested in any kind of organized religion, I kept making excuses, and mercifully, was able to escape without attending the event!!

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  7. LurkerBaba

No, not Peace/Wahhabi TV. I've heard this from some pretty sane, well-educated people

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
    Nagraj likes this.
  8. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

LurkerBaba,

if I can put my cynic cap for a minute as well. Its pretty much a heads I win, tails you loose scenario for any topic that I have noticed you discuss. :)

9. LurkerBaba

Okay, but this is not one of those topics (hey, I accepted one of your points in the Europe-TFR thread :p )

This is my personal experience, no offence but I've found that it's difficult for many Muslims to comprehend a non-Abrahamic belief system. There is a very large tendency (understandable) to find superficial similarities, and overemphasize them. Differences are denied and marked off as aberrations .

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
    RickBLood and KS like this.
  10. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

The idea is good in theory but I doubt it will make any difference.

The solution is to completely ban religion from education, along with specifically religious schools (i.e. madrasas), and then slowly work towards a sane, atheist society where discussion is focused on more constructive matters than "there are similarities between my imaginary idol and your imaginary idol".

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  11. utubekhiladi

utubekhiladi The Preacher Elite Member

me 100% dis-agree with your comment :troll:

12. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

teach them calculus and trigonometry instead of both quran and bg. douchebags.

SADAKHUSH, The Messiah and Dovah like this.
  13. Raja.pakistani

Raja.pakistani Regular Member

Its true that many prophets were sent to different part of world and we don't have information about all those prophets but that dont mean you should go and interpret some verses of gita to find out some Islam there when peopels who read/follow these books cannot find it themselves.. that's where i disagree with doctor zakir naik

Moral/ethics values of all religions might be same but their concept of God is entirely different..

14. Raja.pakistani

science is not against religion ..you can learn boht at same time

15. Dovah

Oh, I disagree with him because he rejects evolution because its called The "Theory" of Evolution rather than The "Fact" of evolution, that guy is a joker.....

16. Raja.pakistani

I did not get it. There is deference between "fact" and "theory". Scientific method also begins with a hypothesis. Who caused evolution is more interesting debate than evolution itself..

17. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Good point.

But then if we dont know answer then we shouldn't invent the answer either ie religon

18. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

The maximum extent of religion should be your compound gate. Not school.

Learn religion at home and science at school.

Religion cannot provide you a job or a decent means to earn your living unless you become one of those fake swamis or stupid televangelists like zakir naik.

19. Dovah

Regardless, to obstinately reject a scientific argument/ hypothesis over semantics is wrong.

If the "Who" you're referring to is God, then you need to define God first.

20. Raja.pakistani

Why not? I always search answers of questions like : who created earth/universe/life? purpose of our existence? In fact philosophy also try to find these answers

21. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Who's stopping you to find answers ?

What religion does is that it invents the answer and then asks doubters to give a credible answer when there is no answer to it as of now.