Questions on Indian Naval Air Arm

kseeker

Retired
Hello Folks,

I have few questions on Indian Naval Air Arm and it's related aspects. I am hoping that, I would get answers for them here from defence veterans...

Here are the questions.

Indian Naval Air Arm - is that an independent wing or an IAF and IN joint venture ?

How Navy pilots are being trained ? Again with the help of IAF ?

How different it is to operate an IN fighter aircraft vs IAF fighter aircraft ?

Thanks

Decklander

Hello Folks,

I have few questions on Indian Naval Air Arm and it's related aspects. I am hoping that, I would get answers for them here from defence veterans...

Here are the questions.

Indian Naval Air Arm - is that an independent wing or an IAF and IN joint venture ?

How Navy pilots are being trained ? Again with the help of IAF ?

How different it is to operate an IN fighter aircraft vs IAF fighter aircraft ?

Thanks
IN air arm is independent of IAF but we do have an exchange program of officers to eachothers flying units for gaining exp and enriching from eachother. The pilots as of now are trained by IAF only at AFA and the QFIs are also trained by IAF only, so are the IN test Pilots.
The flying envoirnment is very diff and difficult for IN pilots. We have to learn every trick which IAF pilots learn plus flying over sea where you do not have anykind of ground features to help you navigate and no depth perception. We have to fly over sea mostly on instruments. That is true even for low level flights. Only good thing is that we do not have obstructions over sea and also no birds after about 20 Nm from coast.

kseeker

Retired
IN air arm is independent of IAF but we do have an exchange program of officers to eachothers flying units for gaining exp and enriching from eachother. The pilots as of now are trained by IAF only at AFA and the QFIs are also trained by IAF only, so are the IN test Pilots.
The flying envoirnment is very diff and difficult for IN pilots. We have to learn every trick which IAF pilots learn plus flying over sea where you do not have anykind of ground features to help you navigate and no depth perception. We have to fly over sea mostly on instruments. That is true even for low level flights. Only good thing is that we do not have obstructions over sea and also no birds after about 20 Nm from coast.
Thank you so much Sir for the elucidations :)

Jagdish58

Indian Navy Air arm to become formidable force in future , but procurement should be sensible and not to have too many platforms

1 CATOBAR Air craft carrier ( Future ), 2 STOBAR Carrier( 1 in use and another under construction) , 4 Ambitious assault ship ( Future )

- CATOBAR Air craft carrier ( planned ) ,They should go for modified Mig-29K & LCA mk2 instead ( In future may be AMCA ) of going for any new fighter since maintenance will be easy due to the spare base setup only for 2 types of fighters . Buying Rafale or F-18 or F-35C will streach Navy budget to skywards and create maintenance issues

- STOBAR carriers by default Mig-29K & LCA mk2

- Ambitious assault ship , either change the concept as helicopter carrier ship or redesign with ski jump ramp similar to jaun carlos class ship but with arrester hook so that LCA's can operate from deck ( Not a easy task but suggestion ) which will enable AAS to act as mini carriers . Buying F-35 B as cover for AAS not a good idea since it is expensive and comes with many uncle sam hidden clause

- C-295 platform as Shore based Medium maritime multirole aircraft with Indian weapons and sensors

- Naval AWACS, AEW's / Tankers , for shore based AWACS/AEW they have to back DRDO AEW/AWACS project ( ERJ 145 AEW & A330 AWACS )

For deck based AEW's guess they have to buy platform like V-22 osprey and work on installing DRDO radars ,V-22 platform can be used as deck based tankers, marine carrier & other naval operation . Mig-29k's also act as buddy refuellers

** This is personal suggestion , I might not be 100% right the same can be debateable

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles