Questions about the radar?

Discussion in 'Military Aviation' started by indochina, Feb 11, 2013.

  1. indochina

    indochina Regular Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    vietnam
    Conventional aircraft return much larger signatures. ECM is limited by the power of the airborne jammer. Therefore, a smaller aircraft RCS is easier to cloak because it requires less power from the jammer. An aircraft that reduces its front-aspect signature by a factor of 10 cuts the notional detection range by 44 percent. The power required in the ECM jammer also decreases in proportion. For the same amount of power, ECM can jam more effectively.

    http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1999/February 1999/0299radar.aspx

    This site refers to the detection range of the radar?this is correct?and a civilian who can calculate the detection range of the radar to the enemy aircraft through this way?

    An aircraft that reduces its front-aspect signature by a factor of 10 cuts the notional detection range by 44 percent
    Did this question, temporary I understand that RCS reduced by 10 times the radar range is reduced by 44% ?! (This means that the remaining 56%)

    My example:

    Radar Zaslon-M with detection range of 400 km with a target of RCS = 20 m2, so the F-15 with RCS = 10m2 (Of course this is only the estimated parameters, smaller than 2 cuts the 20 m2)
    F-15 will be detected at a distance: 400 * 0.56 = 224 km

    It is correct?I found that high technology cannot be calculated in such a simple formula
     
  2.  
  3. Kunal Biswas

    Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

    Joined:
    May 26, 2010
    Messages:
    27,623
    Likes Received:
    28,463
    Location:
    BHARAT, INDIA, HINDUSTHAN
    1. Yes Small Aircraft such as MIG-21 bison are very good with ECM pods, During cope India 2005 Bisons were able to get into WVR of F-15 while keeping there radar silence and guided by Sukhoi-30s by secure data links in accordance with MFFC (Mixed Fighter Force Concept), Upon entering into an WVR combat envelope the MiG-21Bisons armed with HMS and deadly NBVR/WVR missiles proved very impressive to USAF..

    2. I am not very much into calculations but the article is quite accurate regarding tactics evolve ..
     

Share This Page