Question to the Chinese members

If there is another Tienanmen Square incident, what will be you stand?

• I will support the movement and actively fight for it

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I will oppose the movement and actively fight against

• I will support the movement but stay at home and watch on TV/Internet

• I will oppose the movement but stay at home and watch on TV/Internet

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Tienanmen Sqaure Incident - what's that?

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I'm not Chinese, just following the poll

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters

amoy

Things were not either black or white as being over simplified like one side 'thugs' then other side 'angels'. As it happned over 2 decades ago, people are more at ease to talk abt it and more accounts / memoirs have surfaced even from some key 'stakeholders' at that time. Anyway, being not eyewitness, we're only sharing what's heard read or perceived.

The movement itself was multi dimensional in regards of diverse participants, varying on even different agendas, which evolved in the process. As far as I see their appeals (like RedDragon pointed out) included

1) anti corruption: at the very beginning most demonstrators were opposed to rampant scandals that princelings of CCP top brass who took advantage of loopholes in the transition from a planning economy to a 'market' economy. Back then Chinese as fostered by Mao's equalitarian awareness were very resistant to nepotism.

2) anti inflation: Owing to aggressive eco. transition /reform implemented the inflation was shocking for most Chinese who hadn't experienced anything of that kind.

But gradually the appeals / themes shifted towards political change / end of one-party rule from economy, like Deng referred to "world climate" later, against the backdrops toppling of Soviet Bloc + Warsaw Pact, coupled with the power struggle / discrepancies inside CCP leadership. The General Secretary i.e. head of CCP Zhao actually appreciated Gorbachev's glasnost , perestroika , demokratizatsiya , sympathized with the movement and even wanted to steer it towards that end.

(to be continued)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Dude, the Tiananmen incident happened in 1989, while CCN started broadcasting in 1980.
Oops. I think I meant to type I cannot confirm that CNN was broadcasting in the summer of 1989.

Thanks for confirming it was.

no smoking

Country flag
That is neither here nor there of an explanation.

I am amazed that you imply that it is fine if one kills people (taking it that people were killed in Tienanmen Square) and money is then given, it absolves all and also the loss of lives!
No, I am not implying, that is the principle applied to every country.

American indians accepted it after millions lives losted to white.
Indians accepted it after British army "peacefully" enter india.

The question here is not who is right. The question is what you do after the accident. The corrupted officers killed by CCP werer thousands times more than the so called "democratic activist" who were put in jail each year. When we check those "democratic activsts", most of them are living in overseas and encouraging other people to fight for them.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

The question here is not who is right. The question is what you do after the accident. The corrupted officers killed by CCP werer thousands times more than the so called "democratic activist" who were put in jail each year. When we check those "democratic activsts", most of them are living in overseas and encouraging other people to fight for them.
What do you mean peacefully??

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

What british army? Britian brought no army into India, those days Indians did not have the idea of nationality so working for british east india company did not occur to them as working for a foreigner but merely for salary. Moreover after the mugal empire collapse it was only probability that they won over the numerous other groups that where trying to unite and rule india.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
^^^

The East India Company fought many kingdoms in India. Marathas, Mysore, Sikhs, etc, etc.

no smoking

Country flag
What british army? Britian brought no army into India, those days Indians did not have the idea of nationality so working for british east india company did not occur to them as working for a foreigner but merely for salary. Moreover after the mugal empire collapse it was only probability that they won over the numerous other groups that where trying to unite and rule india.
So, you are telling me all those screaming about british rull in india is kind of rubbish. And further more, all those resistance and riots against British is just lie?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles