Quadrotor: potential application in Defense & Law Enforcement

pmaitra

Quadrotor and its potential application in Defense and Law Enforcement

This could have been more appropriate in a 'Science and Technology' section, but there isn't one. This is a new concept in robotics where a Quadrotor (helicopter with 4 rotors) is used to ambulate and perform various tasks.

I would like to invite members to debate on how these cuties can be used as/for:
  • drones
  • search and rescue
  • building bunkers and bases prior to deployment of troops
  • observation posts

References:
Quadrotor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
robots.net - Long-Term Swarms of MIT Quadrotor UAVshttps://www.grasp.upenn.edu/success_story/aggressive_maneuvers_autonomous_quadrotor_flight
University of Pennsylvania demos Quadrotor gymnastics - As The Croft Flies

Last edited:

pmaitra

Quadrotor: Assorted Videos

Some videos from Universities

There are many more videos and some really cool applications. I just did not want to post a whole plethora of them and just posted a few here. The ones I have chosen are not necessarily the best ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Potential applications are myriad. I'm just curious as to what happens, if one of the rotors fails during flight. Perhaps a quintrotor with four small tiltrotors (let's call 'em sub-rotors) mounted on a lower pitch axial-plane and a fifth, much larger (fixed) principal rotor, mounted on a higher pitch axial-plane would offer more stability without compromising pitch and roll control in the event of a single rotor failure. The torques or nacelle-angles of all the other sub-rotors could be adjusted, with the Principal rotor provided vertical lift to keep the rotor in continued, sub-optimal operation or get it back to safety. Perhaps even contra-rotating sub-propellers that reduce footprint and develop more power, with less torque for much larger load-carrying UCAV's. That would make the transmission and flight control systems of an autonomous drone considerably more complex, but I think that it would be justified for military applications.

Come to think of it a septa-rotor, designed on the lines of a Fiano plane (below: points are rotor positions) mounted on a light, durable frame, with a larger, this time, co-planar main rotor, would offer much more stability for package-delivery or construction drones. Some kind of adjustable hydraulic ballast, coupled with the adjustable torques of the other propllers would allow for compensation, if one or two or even three co-linear rotors failed.

agentperry

well when it comes to quadrotor a completely different picture emerges in my mind.

instead of v-22 by bell. if we have a bigger fuselage and four rotors 2 attached to the front wings and two on rear extended wings( both wings have similar length). this heavy transport ship will be vtol/vstol with very high speed.( 4 rotors so speed should be high).

good for short and medium distance missions

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Such quadrotors are easy to take anywhere you go so each army unit should have at least 2-3 pieces of such rotors, they can use it whenever they need it.

pmaitra

well when it comes to quadrotor a completely different picture emerges in my mind.

instead of v-22 by bell. if we have a bigger fuselage and four rotors 2 attached to the front wings and two on rear extended wings( both wings have similar length). this heavy transport ship will be vtol/vstol with very high speed.( 4 rotors so speed should be high).

good for short and medium distance missions
If I read you correctly, you are suggesting something like these below, but rather a combination of two such aircraft, one placed behind the others and the fuselages fused together to form on large aircraft.

Sounds like a great idea and someone should take it up.

Mil-V-12.jpg CV-22-Osprey.jpg

trackwhack

As of now I have set myself a 2 year timeframe to build one of these from scrathc ( not as bad as DRDO but still 2 years!!! )

Well, the difficult part is the brain, so heavy duty PIC programming lessons going on now. But quadcopters and hexacopters are beautiful and will someday replace spy sattellites altogether, when solar cells are made efficient enough to power these things for 24 - 36 hours.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

[h=2]Chandigarh set to acquire UAV 'Netra':thumb:
Tom Bolster the surveillance capability, the Chandigarh Police is set to acquire an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle 'Netra' for Rs 35 lakh as necessary certificates from the Defence Research and Development Organisation has reached them.Now, the proposal will be sent to Chandigarh Administration to take a final decision on it."The acquisition of the UAV has been delayed as the company that had developed 'Netra' had submitted certificates from its side, but the 'propriety certificate' and 'reasonability certificate' (a certificate indicating that the rates quoted are not more than that charged to other government bodies or PSUs) from the DRDO were awaited," said Alok Kumar, Deputy Inspector General of Police, Chandigarh.
[/h]Source: Chandigarh set to acquire UAV ‘Netra’ - Indian Express

------------------------------------------------------------------
Indian army develops 'Netra' UAV against terrorists

India's defence research agency DRDO has developed an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) specifically for anti-terrorist and counter insurgency operations, which will be inducted into the armed forces by the year-end.

The 1.5 kg UAV, called 'Netra', is a collaborative development project between ideaForge, a company formed by a group of Indian Institute of Technology, Powai, alumni and one of Defence Research and Development Organisation's Pune-based labs, Research and Development Establishment (Engineers) (R&DE) Pune.

DRDO scientist Dr Alok Mukherjee, who demonstrated the UAV, here yesterday said Netra would be ready for induction into the services within the next six months after it is subjected to some more trial tests.

"The UAV is capable of operating in all the conflict theatres, including urban quarters, in a situation similar to that of the 26/11 terror attacks.", he told reporters here yesterday.

IdeaForge, vice-president (Marketing and Operations Unmanned Systems) Amardeep Singh said the UAV has been designed to carry out surveillance in an area of 1.5 KM Line of Sight (LOS) and has an endurance capacity of 30 minutes of battery charge.

Apart from that, Netra is equipped with a resolution CCD camera with a pan/tilt and zoom to facilitate wider surveillance. It can also be fitted with thermal cameras to carry out night operations.

Singh said the operational altitude of the UAV is 200 meters maximum, having a vertical take-off and landing capacity (VTOL) and is equipped with a wireless transmitter.
From: Indian army develops 'Netra' UAV against terrorists -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DRDO's UAVs, new weapons systems to fight Maoists

Defence Research and Development Organisation is providing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), micro air vehicles (MAVs), ground penetration radars, foliage penetration radars and other weapons to the paramilitary forces and the state police forces to fight against the Maoists and other extremists.

"Focus of warfare has shifted towards low intensity conflict, what we have been observing for last few years. So we thought that DRDO should focus on supporting the role of paramilitary forces in strengthening their cause in fighting internal conflicts," said Dr. K Sekhar, DRDO's Chief Controller research and development for low intensity conflict technologies.

Dr. Sekhar said on Thursday that a core team has been framed by DRDO, which will develop technologies in next 1-4 years to meet the requirements of security forces in fighting counter insurgency and the Maoists.

"We are looking at developing ground penetration radars to located the IEDs (improvised explosive devices) used by the naxalites and also develop a very high power laser to destroy these IEDs.

"We are also looking at developing foliage penetration radar so that movement of vehicles and people moving around in jungles can be easily tracked. Apart from it UAVs and MAVs fitted with sensors will also help to keep a track on movement of people," said Dr. Sekhar.
More : DRDO’s UAVs, new weapons systems to fight Maoists - Thaindian News

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enemy would never know who is watching him, can be carrier in a platoon size force..

Last edited by a moderator:

trackwhack

Man, 35 lakhs is a bit much. I know its for the entire unit including the portable base surveillance station.

A dragonflyer X8 which per my understanding is far more payload capable than the netra is priced at Approx $30K. This exclues the base station with the video receiver and display etc. I would have expected a system developed in India to be far more price competitive. However I am going by Netra's stated capabilities. Hopefully it has many other options that make it worth the $70K pricetag.

If it can be made more price competitive this is a very marketable product.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This include thermal sights, Smaller & Lighter once are more costly..

Further smaller yet powerful motors, look at the heights 200m it can fly, Keeping wind speeds etc..

Body is made of carbon fiber non mental, further Batt is small yet 1.5 KM Line of Sight (LOS) and has an endurance capacity of 30 minutes of battery charge.

still compact..

Deigned for Indian environment and harsh handling by Indian Armed forces..

Last edited:

trackwhack

Kunal, dont get me wrong. I absolutely love the Netra project and have been following its development very closely.

This kind of UAV has in my estimates marketing potential of several thousands. If we are able to use economies of scale and get the entire unit cost to below $30K it will be a significant market that we can capture. Hoping that we can bring the unit cost down in time.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles