Qatar newspaper editor quits over Kama Sutra image

Rashna

Country flag
Qatar newspaper editor quits over Kama Sutra image

DOHA: The editor of a popular daily newspaper in Qatar announced his resignation after the publication of a photograph depicting scenes from the Kama Sutra today.

Jaber al-Harmi, editor in chief of Al-Sharq, stepped down after a picture appeared in the newspaper of a woman's hands covered in traditional henna tattoos depicting scenes from the Kama Sutra, the famous Indian sex manual.

In a copy of the paper's today's edition seen by AFP, the picture was published in the health section above an article warning of the dangers of henna.

Harmi took to the paper's website to describe the incident as "a completely unintended mistake" and the "worst" he had known in his 25-year career in journalism and said he took full responsibility for what happened.

He said he "offered my resignation out of moral responsibility".

It is not yet known if the resignation has been accepted by the paper's bosses.

"All apologies are not enough for such a serious mistake, which occurred by publishing morally inappropriate images," wrote Harmi.

"Our values and principles provide a red line that cannot be breached and so I presented my resignation to the board."

He added: "This tragic incident revealed to us the extent of the adherence of our community to religion, values and morals."

On Twitter, he wrote that "all those behind this mistake" have been fired.

The photograph prompted a huge reaction on social media in the deeply-conservative Muslim country and neighbouring Gulf countries.

Some urged the editor to stay in his job and blamed others for the publication of the photograph.

"What happened is a mistake by the employee in charge and Mr Harmi shouldn't be blamed," one Twitter user said.

Rashna

Country flag
I fail to understand what the Kama Sutra has got to do with the bad effects of Henna... and how this picture made it to the health section..... Who ever used this picture must have been high on something.....

anupamsurey

Country flag
I fail to understand what the Kama Sutra has got to do with the bad effects of Henna... and how this picture made it to the health section..... Who ever used this picture must have been high on something.....
what can you expect from a society which considers sex as sin. and are there really any bad effects of henna.

Rashna

Country flag
Natural henna probably none... but kali mehendi and henna tattoos can cause severe rashes and allergic reactions. They contain chemicals.
what can you expect from a society which considers sex as sin. and are there really any bad effects of henna.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Natural henna probably none... but kali mehendi and henna tattoos can cause severe rashes and allergic reactions. They contain chemicals.
Specially those imprint instant ones .......

Rashna

Country flag
Yes those are the tattoos... They can land people in serious trouble. But these guys had to go and take an image from the Kamasutra.. Maybe this will give AYUSH a new brainwave... World Kamasutra Day.
Specially those imprint instant ones .......

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Yes those are the tattoos... They can land people in serious trouble. But these guys had to go and take an image from the Kamasutra.. Maybe this will give AYUSH a new brainwave... World Kamasutra Day.
Well I don't think you need a day to celebrate that ;)

Rashna

Country flag
lol... I think u can just imagine the scene.... Guinness World record at Rajpath...:santa:
Putin will no longer ask any questions about AYUSH and Modi...

Hahahaha ..... all the cult members too..... :rofl:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
lol... I think u can just imagine the scene.... Guinness World record at Rajpath...:santa:
Putin will no longer ask any questions about AYUSH and Modi...
hohohohohhohohohho................... :megusta:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles