PVN Rao's 91st Birth Anniversary today

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by parijataka, Jun 28, 2012.

1. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Remembering the legendary PV Narasimha Rao on his 91st birth anniversary, warts and all. An old article by B Raman. RIP Narasimha Rao garu!

The Outsider

As I read the encomiums that are being showered on Narasimha Rao after his death on December 23, 2004 -- in many cases, by the very same people who vied with each other in abusing him in 1996--I was reminded of my article defending him then and R.N. Kao's reaction to it.
    B. Raman

3. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

By far the most under-rated of all Indian politicians and truly a god-send in those turbulent times.

May he rest in peace.

4. blueblood

blueblood Senior Member Senior Member

Not the mass leader but he was the most efficient prime minister till date second only to Rajiv Gandhi. Also also was a very learned person. RIP.

5. KS

:lol:.....

afako likes this.
  6. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Unfortunately, He was not the part of Gandhi family but Rao

As PM, legacy of Narasimha Rao as architect of reforms has been forgotten and disowned. He paid the price for not dismissing the then BJP kalyan Singh government during Babri demolition. I don't think he had the control but someone had to be sacrificed and disowned by congress in order to indicate that Congress is Messiah of Muslims!

R.I.P.

7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

A forgotten revolutionary

Arvind Panagariya

t's unfortunate that the nation barely remembers Narasimha Rao, architect of the new India

Fifty years from now when historians take stock of the makers of the new India, two individuals from our times will figure prominently on their lists: Prime ministers P V Narasimha Rao and Atal Bihari Vajpayee. If justice prevails, by then, the nation would have also honoured them with Bharat Ratna.

Today, we celebrate the 91th birth anniversary of Narasimha Rao. An accidental prime minister — he was all set to retire from politics and return to his native Andhra Pradesh when the assassination of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1991 placed him at the centre of Indian political scene — his tenure came to define the dividing line between the old India and the new. If Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru gave the country a vibrant democracy, Rao (and Vajpayee) gave it a modern economy.

Uniformly described as indecisive upon taking office, Rao surprised his detractors by moving ahead decisively to build the new India. Even as he put together his cabinet, he proceeded to lay down the groundwork for the mega reforms his government would soon launch. In an all-but-forgotten television address on June 22, only a day after he took the oath of office, he placed before the nation broad contours of the new policy framework.

"We are determined to address the problems of the economy in a decisive manner," Rao said in his stoic voice. "This government is committed to removing the cobwebs that come in the way of rapid industrialisation. We will work towards making India internationally competitive, taking full advantage of...opportunities offered by the evolving global economy...We also welcome foreign direct investment so as to accelerate the tempo of development, upgrade our technologies and to promote our exports. Obstacles that come in the way of allocating foreign investment on a sizable scale will be removed. A time-bound programme will be worked out to streamline our industrial policies and programmes to achieve the goal of a vibrant economy that rewards creativity, enterprise and innovativeness."

Rao was quick to grasp the delicate negotiations with international financial institutions to overcome the balance of payments crisis and the implementation of controversial reforms would require someone trusted abroad as well as at home. That led him to appoint Manmohan Singh, an economist knowledgeable on both the working of international financial institutions and policymaking processes at home, as his finance minister.

While Singh remained the face of the reforms throughout his tenure, Rao was hardly a passive player. I have found some of the best-informed analysts of his era get stumped when asked to name his industries minister. They scramble to make wild guesses and are eventually greatly surprised to be told that Rao had held the portfolio himself. The now-famous New Industrial Policy of July 24, 1991, which consigned investment licensing to the dustbin of history and opened the door to direct foreign investment thereby emancipating Indian entrepreneurs, originated in his office.

While publicly characterising the reforms an extension of the policies of Nehru and prime ministers Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi, Rao was fully aware of the leap he had taken. Less than a year into his tenure, he went on to describe himself as the 'development prime minister of India' at a large public rally concluding the Congress convention of 1992. Years later, in retirement, he was much more direct, calling the reforms as 'complete U-turn without seeming to be a U-turn'.

A forgotten revolutionary - Times Of India

8. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Seriously?. what are the contributions of Rajiv Gandhi apart from Bofors?.

9. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

After IG, Congress never had any mass-leader. It's all social engineering, Vote Bank politics and Anti-incumbency/TINA. Today, There is not a single Congress leader who can win 10 seats for party on it's own. There were few strong state level leaders in past like YSR, Sharad Pawar, Mamta but all left party and YSR died. Even MMS and Pranab are not mass-leader. I think, Congress doesn't promote mass-leader so that there won't be any challenge to Gandhi dynasty!

In 1984, congress won because of assassination of IG.
    In 1991, Congress won because of assassination of RG
    In 2004, Congress won because Anti-Incumbency of NDA, again 2009 as there was no better alternative.

10. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

He is one Telugu the Andhra Pradesh people can be proud of in the modern era.NTR being the other one

11. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Hail Narasimha!

12. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

/\/\

IAmAnIdiot, shouldn't he be thrown in dustbin for being a Telugu Brahmin... :)... j/k

Truly a great son of Andhra and India. Erudite, wise, wily and great leader. Took the lead when leadership was required, leading the country through troubled period.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  13. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

He ws thrown literally by the congress and AP folks in the fag end of his life but leaving that aside he did a lot for the nation .My generation is enjoying the fruits of reforms initiated by him

parijataka and KS like this.
  14. skumar7777

skumar7777 Regular Member

PVNR was the best PM that the Congress (and the nation) had without realizing it in its blind devotion to the Gandhis. May we see more leaders like PVNR. Most of the encomiums flowing in MMS's way should have gone to PVNR.

15. blueblood

What about telecommunication revolution? What about the implementation of computer education in India? What about ending the licence raj? What about improving the relations with US?

What about the military strength which was at peak during his tenure? What about operation cactus, textbook example of special operations? What about the creation of Marcos? What about the operation Brasstacks which left the US and west amazed? What about operation chequerboard which gave goosebumps to Beijing?

PVN Rao followed most of his policies. Blindly hating anyone with the name Gandhi is not going to lead us anywhere. Congress deserves every abuse and even more but simply blaming Congress for every damn thing is not healthy unless you guys wish to become Pakis part deux, i.e. to blame Zia for everything, like it was a paradise before Zia.

16. KS

:dude: Telecom revolution happened under the NDA. We got a BSNL landline after waiting for 1.5 years in '93 and that was quick because the JE was our cousin.

What computer education ? Actually I have heard this bs from many that he heralded the computer education in India..can you elaborate ?

it's common knowledge that the license raj was dismantled under the IMF supervised reforms of the PVNR regime.

Improving relations with US ? Again can you elaborate..any significant agreements, path breaking meets..anything ?

Military strength was its peak..? How.....Dude do you even know the brains behind Operation Brasstacks , Operation Chequerboard and Operation Falcon was not Rajiv Gandhi but Gen.Krishnaswamy Sunderjee ? Rajiv was not even aware of the full extent of Operation Brasstacks...:lol:

WebCite query result

Rediff On The NeT: The Rediff Interview/Lt General P N Hoon (retd)

parijataka and Mad Indian like this.
  17. SHURIDH

SHURIDH Senior Member Senior Member

Forgive me if he has done so good job leading country in difficult preiod.
    Than why he lose 96 election very badly to bjp.
    Why people chose a new regime over him

18. KS

Proof people dont vote for policies -- but based on caste, religion etc.

parijataka and Mad Indian like this.
  19. blueblood

It took us more than 4 in the early 80's despite a number of relatives in different departments of governments.

Rajiv Gandhi and Sam Pitroda were the people who not only initiated the computer revolution but also the telecommunication. During his visit to US he took a group of scientists along with him to learn about the implementation of computers in government offices to cut back on paperwork, the root cause of red tape. C-DAC which was established to create India's first super computer was ordered by Rajiv Gandhi himself.

No, it was Rajiv Gandhi who initiated the dismantling of licence raj. Rao followed his footsteps and hastened the process. Let me find some links about this.

Improving relations with US ? Again can you elaborate..any significant agreements, path breaking meets..anything ?

Meeting with Regan in 85 which resulted in the US cooperation in field of telecom, computers, training of military officers in various institutions, for eg Ranger school. Where do you think early computers and telecom equipment came from? IIRC, IBM was the first company invited by the government.

Army raised a number of regiments in armoured corps and artillery. Establishment of Army Aviation Corps and separation of Air defence from artillery thus creating Corps of Army Air Defence as we know it today. Introduction of 155 mm Bofors, a leapfrog from the 105 and 122 mm in use. One of the very first nation in Asia to do so.

Introduction of il 76s in airforce, again a leapfrog in terms of capabilities. Initiation of project LCA. It was Rajiv Gandhi who started the funding for Tejas and Kaveri.

[/QUOTE]

I think you forgot this part.
    "
    It is understood that you and General Sundarji had your differences. What was the reason for these differences?
    "

General Hoon had a beef with Sundarji and unfortunately he is no longer here to defend himself. Apart from this particular interview, I never heard about any differences between Rajiv Gandhi.

Hope I have cleared some air. Despite belonging to Nehru-Gandhi family, he was neither corrupt nor a megalomaniac. He was arguably the best PM this country ever had. Don't judge the book by it's cover my friend.

20. KS

I can rebut every single of your claim -- but the words "he was neither corrupt nor megalomaniac" shows that whatever I say will only be discarded by you because it just doesnt fit with your version of events --

Surely other small things like Bofors scam , IPKF disaster in Lanka, Kashmir problem, Communalization of politics, Justification of anti-Sikh riots etc did not involve rajiv.

I rest my case.

Sure Rajiv is the most efficient PM we ever had...:lawl:

Mad Indian likes this.
  21. Apollyon

Apollyon Führer Senior Member

It was 1988, the USA refused to sell us a Super Computer due to technology embargo imposed on us due to our Nuclear ambitions so a team was setup comprising of formidable scientists to make our own and 1st prototype was to be readied by 1991. :ranger:

Mad Indian likes this.