Putin's long-term vision is to build a rival EU

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Russia's Eurasian vision contest

Putin's long-term vision is to build a rival EU - or an EAU, the Eurasian Union trade zone

The escalating conflict in Ukraine between the western-backed government and Russian-backed separatists has focused attention on a fundamental question: what are the Kremlin's long-term objectives? Though the Russian president Vladimir Putin's immediate goal may have been limited to regaining control of Crimea and retaining some influence in Ukrainian affairs, his longer-term ambition is much bolder.

That ambition is not difficult to discern. Putin once famously observed that the Soviet Union's collapse was the greatest catastrophe of the 20th century. Thus, his long-term objective has been to rebuild it in some form, perhaps as a supra-national union of member states like the European Union.

This goal is not surprising. Declining or not, Russia has always seen itself as a great power that should be surrounded by buffer states. Under the czars, imperial Russia extended its reach over time. Under the Bolsheviks, Russia built the Soviet Union and a sphere of influence that encompassed most of central and eastern Europe. And now, under Putin's similarly autocratic regime, Russia plans to create, over time, a vast Eurasian Union (EAU).

While the EAU is still only a customs union, the EU's experience suggests that a successful free-trade area leads over time to broader economic, monetary and eventually political integration. Russia's goal is not to create another North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta). It is to create another EU, with the Kremlin holding all of the real levers of power. The plan has been clear. Start with a customs union – initially Russia, Belarus, and Kazakhstan – and add most of the other former Soviet republics. Indeed, now Armenia and Kyrgyzstan are in play.

Once a broad customs union is established, trade, financial and investment links within it grow to the point that its members stabilise their exchange rates vis-a-vis one another. Then, perhaps a couple of decades after the customs union is formed, its members consider creating a true monetary union with a common currency - the Eurasian ruble? - that can be used as a unit of account, means of payment and store of value.

As the eurozone experience proves, sustaining a monetary union requires banking, fiscal and full economic union. And, once members give up their sovereignty over fiscal, banking, and economic affairs, they may eventually need a partial political union to ensure democratic legitimacy.

Realising such a plan may require overcoming serious challenges and the commitment of large financial resources over a period of many decades. But the first step is a customs union, and, in the case of the Eurasian Union, it had to include Ukraine, Russia's largest neighbour to the west. That is why Putin put so much pressure on former president Viktor Yanukovych to abandon an association agreement with the EU. It is also why Putin reacted to the fall of Yanukovych's government by taking over Crimea and destabilising eastern Ukraine.

Recent events have further weakened market-oriented, western-leaning factions in Russia and strengthened the state-capitalist, nationalist factions, which are now pushing for faster establishment of the EAU. In particular, the tension with Europe and the United States over Ukraine will shift Russia's energy and raw material exports – and the related pipelines – toward Asia and China.

Likewise, Russia and its Brics partners (Brazil, India, China, and South Africa) are creating a development bank to serve as an alternative to the western-controlled International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. Revelations of electronic surveillance by the US may lead Russia – and other illiberal states – to restrict internet access and create their own nationally controlled data networks. There is even talk of Russia and China creating an alternative international payment system to replace the Swift system, which the US and Europe can use to impose financial sanctions against Russia.

Creating a full EAU – one that is gradually less tied to the west by trade, financial, economic, payments, communications and political links – may be a pipe dream. Russia's lack of reform and adverse demographic trends imply low potential growth and insufficient financial resources to create the fiscal and transfer union that is needed to bring other countries in.

Putin, however, is ambitious and – like other autocrats in central Asian nations – he may remain in power for decades to come. And like it or not, even a Russia that lacks the dynamism needed to succeed in manufacturing and the industries of the future will remain a commodity-producing superpower.

Revisionist powers such as Russia, China and Iran appear ready to confront the global economic and political order that the US and the west built after the collapse of the Soviet Union. But now one of these revisionists powers – Russia – is pushing ahead aggressively to recreate a near-empire and a sphere of influence.

Unfortunately, the sanctions that the US and Europe are imposing on Russia, though necessary, may merely reinforce the conviction among Putin and his nationalist Slavophile advisers that Russia's future lies not in the west, but in a separate integration project in the east. Barack Obama says that this is not the beginning of a new cold war; current trends may soon suggest otherwise.

Russia's Eurasian vision contest | Business | theguardian.com
Given the collapse of the USSR, the emasculation of Russia, the rise of China, and the disenchantment with the US, the initial euphoria to look West, there is confusion amongst countries not in either 'camps'.

These countries, who are not in any camp, are no push overs. They have the natural resources and markets that requires to engine the economies and continuing clout of the Big Powers that contend to lead the 'world space'.

As Russia continued to be humbled by the West and the countries that were under Russian influence fell like skittles to the 'warm embrace' of the 'progressive' West, it gave the heejeebejees to Russia as it borders kept losing its 'buffers' and the 'barbarians were at the Gates'.

Russia struck back like a cat cornered. Georgia was the first and now it has spread to Ukraine, having annexed Crimea.

Any Nation to survive as a 'leader' in the game of 'conquering the world space' requires to be cognisable.

Russia is crawling back.

The EUA is the beginning, along with the expansion of the SCO, where it can exercise influence along with China.

Russia has realised that the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, lies not in the West, but in the East and South.

Africa will be Russia's next stop?

One has to just notice the abundance of natural resources of Asia and Africa to realise that these are the magic wands that fuels the ascendancy to Power.

US is helping none, including itself, by acting as the linchpin in destabilising the world with its Wolfowitz Dcotrine pursued in a hamhanded and crude way with its regime change mantra.

Who will win?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Putin's wet dream. That article is grand on assumptions and short on facts.

Right now only KAzakhstan and Belarus are in the Customs union. Neither these countries have any economic significance. And of these 2 members it seems that only Kazakhstan is formly on Russian side as Belarus is already publicly expressing hesitation on closer relations with Russia. So even Belarus' membership is tenuous.

As for the rest of Russia's neighbors? Well they all want EU membership, and if possible NATO... :rofl:

BTW, I really have serious issues with Russia's claim to "buffer/security states" that a lot of members here just accept as Russia's legal right. What is the concept of this buffer/security states? So the people in those states are supposed to be sacrificed first before Russian citizens in case Europe suddenly becomes crazy and start invading Russia?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Putin's wet dream. That article is grand on assumptions and short on facts.

Right now only KAzakhstan and Belarus are in the Customs union. Neither these countries have any economic significance. And of these 2 members it seems that only Kazakhstan is formly on Russian side as Belarus is already publicly expressing hesitation on closer relations with Russia. So even Belarus' membership is tenuous.

As for the rest of Russia's neighbors? Well they all want EU membership, and if possible NATO... :rofl:

BTW, I really have serious issues with Russia's claim to "buffer/security states" that a lot of members here just accept as Russia's legal right. What is the concept of this buffer/security states? So the people in those states are supposed to be sacrificed first before Russian citizens in case Europe suddenly becomes crazy and start invading Russia?
Rome was not built in one day, or was it?

Buffer states are important so that contending powers are kept far and they do not clash to make the world an unsafe for all.

Buffer is a nation/ people/ thing that reduces a shock or that forms a barrier between incompatible or antagonistic nation' people or things.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Rome was not built in one day, or was it?
With how is Russia is acting in Ukraine even Kazakhstan that has a sizable ethnic Russian population is starting to get jittery.

Buffer states are important so that contending powers are kept far and they do not clash to make the world an unsafe for all.
We're no longer in the middle ages that you can just scare countries into submitting to your wishes.

Buffer is a nation/ people/ thing that reduces a shock or that forms a barrier between incompatible or antagonistic nation' people or things.
Such a lofty description for human shields...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
With how is Russia is acting in Ukraine even Kazakhstan that has a sizable ethnic Russian population is starting to get jittery.
Imagination!

We're no longer in the middle ages that you can just scare countries into submitting to your wishes.
It indicates how little you understand about geostrategy.

Such a lofty description for human shields...
Shield is a shield. Or else why have bullet proof vests? One has to understand the benefit and not waffle.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
One has to understand the benefit and not waffle.

Benefit for Russia eh? No doubt setting up the Ukrainians as shields or buffer as you might call it from imagined European invasions or aggression so that Russians will be relatively safe in Russia (that's according to Russian calculus) is some form of benefit. I must say that's a cruel kind of benefit for the Russians.

How about Ukraine? Aside from hedging against Russia's overbearing attitude in the neighborhood, Ukraine's intention of joining the EU is for economic reasons. Whichever you look at it Ukraine has a better future with the EU than with Russia.

Anyway, it really confounds me that you (some) people here who are very sensitive about India's right to decide for itself in international affairs does not seem to understand that Ukraine is entitled to the same right as a country. Somehow, the emotional connection with Russia and the hate for America has clouded an otherwise rational mind from some of people here. All trace of reason and humanity seem to vanish when Russia is involved. But when it is America, the same people is quick draw on their favorite English word, "hypocrisy."

apple

Leaving aside geo political whatever, the Russia economy is smaller than several EU member states. It's a bit of a stretch to imagine the Eurasian union can be a legitimate rival to the EU. They could be a competitor, or more accurately, a pest.

Also Russia's economy is based on the export of primary products. It doesn't need anything from BRICS countries and for exporting it products it can acheive far greater profit selling to more developed nations i.e. the EU.

Trading Russian oil products for, say, African bananas, mangoes and coffee might be a mutually beneficial, good economic deal. But, it's not going to lead to world hegemony.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Leaving aside geo political whatever, the Russia economy is smaller than several EU member states. It's a bit of a stretch to imagine the Eurasian union can be a legitimate rival to the EU. They could be a competitor, or more accurately, a pest.

Also Russia's economy is based on the export of primary products. It doesn't need anything from BRICS countries and for exporting it products it can acheive far greater profit selling to more developed nations i.e. the EU.

Trading Russian oil products for, say, African bananas, mangoes and coffee might be a mutually beneficial, good economic deal. But, it's not going to lead to world hegemony.

It does not take a Phd in economics from London Business School to know that Russia even with Kazakhstan and Belarus cannot compare to EU. Their combined economies do not even surpass that of Germany and embattled Spain. They do not produce of anything significant to the World market other than oil and gas. More importantly they have to prospects of growth beyond their original number. Everybody in the Russian neighborhood want to run to the EU for long term economic security.

pmaitra

Leaving aside geo political whatever, the Russia economy is smaller than several EU member states.
Some people borrow money, drive around in a Ferrari, and when the gravy train stops, steal and rob.

It does not take a Phd in economics from London Business School to know that Russia even with Kazakhstan and Belarus cannot compare to EU. Their combined economies do not even surpass that of Germany and embattled Spain. They do not produce of anything significant to the World market other than oil and gas. More importantly they have to prospects of growth beyond their original number. Everybody in the Russian neighborhood want to run to the EU for long term economic security.
You sound like a Harvard graduate - totally clueless.

pmaitra

The degeneration of the discussion in this forum...
Just explained.

Of course, it's you. Always alert, ready to hit the reply button immediately, like a server port listener, without actually reading what you are responding to.

Do re-read the entire post. C'mon, make an effort.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Just explained.

Of course, it's you. Always alert, ready to hit the reply button immediately, like a server port listener, without actually reading what you are responding to.

Do re-read the entire post. C'mon, make an effort.
Um, this is your entire post representing your reply to my Post #8:

You sound like a Harvard graduate - totally clueless.
With only 8 words to it and a non-sensical thought, I can even read it even with my eyes closed...

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The post below is not my entire post. It only contains what you chose to ignore from the entire post.

That was your reply to the other guy's post. You're reply to my post was an ad hominem.

pmaitra

That was your reply to the other guy's post. You're reply to my post was an ad hominem.
I was not talking about my reply to your post. I was talking about my "entire post."

What part of "entire post" do you need help understanding?

Once again, totally clueless.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@pmaitra

Okay, why do you think I was clueless in saying that Russia's Customs Union has no similarities and has no hope of matching the EU? How can Russia attract other countries in Eastern Europe other than Kazakhstan and Belarus to join its Customs Union? Who do you think are these countries that can join this Custom's Union?

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

@pmaitra

Okay, why do you think I was clueless in saying that Russia's Customs Union has no similarities and has no hope of matching the EU? How can Russia attract other countries in Eastern Europe other than Kazakhstan and Belarus to join its Customs Union? Who do you think are these countries that can join this Custom's Union?
No. I think you are clueless, because you said this:

Right before I quoted you, I responded to another person. Yes, I am talking about the "entire post." Read my response to the other person. Both the quotes, and my reponses are related and in the same context, just to clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Right before I quoted you, I responded to another person. Yes, I am talking about the "entire post." Read my response to the other person. Both the quotes, and my reponses are related and in the same context, just to clarify.

Is this your reply?

Some people borrow money, drive around in a Ferrari, and when the gravy train stops, steal and rob.
Pardon my French but it is rubbish. If that's your reply then this is my reply to you:

The Customs union is a castle in the sky of Russia that only people like you can see.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles