Pune bus driver goes on a rampage and smashes 40 cars

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by The Messiah, Jan 26, 2012.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

9 killed, 40 vehicles crushed as mentally ill driver hijacks Pune bus

A rogue bus driver went berserk on the crowded streets of the city on Wednesday morning, smashing all vehicles coming in its way and leaving nine persons dead and 27 others injured.

It was a nightmare in the Swargate area in the heart of the city, as the bus driven by a Maharashtra State Corporation bus driver came from wrong side of the busy Pune-Solapur Road and went past smashing all types of vehicles in the way and injuring pedestrians, who ran for their lives.

The driver 30-year-old Santosh Mane was arrested after an hour-long chase near Neelayam theatre in the city. Though initial reports said the bus driver was mentally disturbed, police said it was too early to comment.

Satpal Singh, ADG (Law and Order), said, "Nine persons are dead and 27 have been injured in the accident".

"He was hitting everything that was coming in his way," he said.

The Swargate bus terminus officials said they were investigating the incident involving the bus, which was scheduled to leave for Satara.

Pune mayor Mohansingh Rajpal, who visited the spot, asked angry citizens to maintain peace.

Pune Police Commissioner Meeran Borwankar said Mane was a licensed bus driver on duty and took charge of the Satara-bound transport bus as scheduled

"After he embarked on the bus, he just went berserk. He went on ramming vehicles, hit pedestrians. He was in such a dangerous mood," she said.

Meeran said the driver started operating the vehicle belonging to the Satara depot at 8.15 am, around the time when there is a peak movement of school buses in the morning.

Borwankar said the driver was not under suspension and finished his regular duties yesterday at 7.30 pm.

Eyewitnesses said several people escaped being hit by the bus driven by Mane.
    Borwankar ruled out a terror angle in the incident and said the driver was being interrogated to understand his mental state that led to the bizarre act.

After visiting the spot, Pune mayor Mohansingh Rajpal also went to various hospitals. He said the concerned driver appeared to be "a mentally-disturbed" person.

Meanwhile, Maharashtra deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar has appealed to the people to maintain calm in the face of the event that sent shock waves in the city.

He also said that the incident was being investigated.

Eyewitnesses said that after the driver was caught by the police, which fired ten rounds to stop the speeding bus, he appeared to be "out of his mind".

State Transport Corporation sources said that Mane had made a regular trip as per his schedule yesterday.

A police official at Swargate bus terminus said Mane went to the driver's cabin and took the bus out, when the regular driver, who was assigned the trip was away from the vehicle.

Read more at: 9 killed, 40 vehicles crushed as mentally ill driver hijacks Pune bus : West News - India Today

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

21-year-old stops Pune rogue driver, prevents more damage

PUNE: Wednesday began as a normal day for college student Sharif Ibrahim Kutty (21), but by mid-morning he had become a hero.

Some quick thinking, prompt action and presence of mind helped him overpower state transport bus driver Santosh Maruti Mane and stop him from running over more people and causing further damage as he careened through parts of the city on Wednesday......

21-year-old stops Pune rogue driver, prevents more damage - The Times of India

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Kutty is a last name among malayalees. Well done mate.

5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

A public spirited Indian.

We all must learn and appreciate!

I think Kutty means Small!

I salute the boy!

6. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

An interview with the young Man who stopped the Bus driver

Morning Nightmare - Indian Express

I gave chase for 12 kilometres...wish I could have stopped it earlier’

Even as driver Santosh Mane played villain on Wednesday crushing people, smashing cars and two-wheelers and anything that came his way, he left behind a trial of death and destruction. During the rampage, there many, including cops, who played heroes, saving lives and rushing the injured to hospitals. Many gave chase to the bus. The hero of the day was 21-year-old Sharif Ibrahim Kutty, the first to reach the driver and stop him from wreaking further havoc. “I am happy I could stop him from causing further damage...I wish I were able to stop him earlier. I tried my best but could not reach him as he was driving rashly,” said Sharif, recounting his heroic act which has come in for praise from citizens and police alike.

A third-year BCA student of Poona College, Sharif was heading for college when he saw a woman and a child being knocked down at Burger King chowk on East Street. The bus then rammed into a car. “The driver was apparently not satisfied with this. He took two rounds of the chowk and sped on,” said Sharif. The driver then zoomed by Bishop’s School where police fired at least three rounds. None hit the bus,” said Sharif. The driver managed to manoeuvre the bus roughly through barricades being erected near Cantonment police station to the stop the bus. “A policeman was injured,” said Sharif, a resident of Anand Park in Vishrantwadi.

At Kasewadi, Sharif said the driver nearly ran over two children. “But I drove fast and went between the bus and the children,” he said. Here, at least two cars — an Indica and a Swift — were damaged as the bus brushed them.

The most ghastly site, said Sharif, was near Sarasbaug where for nearly one kilometre the bus dragged the Twister, a two-wheeler. “This was a rattling...The two-wheeler with its rider being dragged...” said Sharif. Along with the two-wheeler, a number of vehicles were damaged as the bus moved in zig-zag path.” The police again tried 3to stop the bus by putting up a barricade near Swargate, but once against the driver knocked them down.

Near Neelayam theatre, he hit a Maruti car, a rickshaw and two other vehicles. This slowed the bus down which gave Sharif an opportunity to get close. “I jumped over the barricades, went to the other side and entered the bus. The driver was still at the wheel apparently trying to step on the accelerator. “As I caught him, the yelled...Mujhe maar do...Mujhe Maar Do...I pulled him out and spanked him just when other people stormed the bus,” said Sharif, who is from Mallapuram district of Kerala. His father is a businessman and mother Salina is a fashion designer. He said, “I wish I had stopped him much earlier...I must have chased the bus for nearly 12 kilometres.” The bus came to a hold near Parvati.

Along with Sharif, Bapu Laxman Lonkar, a 23-year-old policeman attached to Circuit House, entered the bus to catch hold of the driver. “I was heading for work when I saw the bus driven rashly from Laxminarayan Chowk. I chased it and scaled it through the stair on the backside,” he said.