Project P15B Visakhapatnam class destroyer

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by AVERAGE INDIAN, Jan 23, 2014.

1. uoftotaku

uoftotaku Regular Member

Certainly looking at the deck layout of the Kolkata and the current weapon load its not hard to see that the design has plenty of space available to double the current missile load (if not more). Availability of Nirbhay, 127mm Gun, Barak-8ER, BrahMos 2 and a proper complement of NMRH's will make P-15's a truly world class offensive platform.

Willy2, binayak95 and aditya10r like this.
  2. aditya10r

aditya10r Mera Bharat mahan Senior Member

So I think navy would employ 24 Nirbhay missiles to make Kolkata and Vizag class a competent and dominant vessel.

3. binayak95

binayak95 Regular Member

More like 8-16 bro. 24 missiles occupy a huge amout of space. The Nirbhay is primarily a Land Attack Cruise Missile. Why would the IN want that many on its ships. We are not looking at any expeditionary requirement, are we?

aditya10r likes this.
  4. Willy2

Willy2 Regular Member

The land which was in East Pakistan for 3 days
    But is't it then too late for adding more VLS if suddenly situation escalate ?

Our destroyers should atleast keep 32 cells specially for AShW missiles , chinkis carry 48/64 anti-ship missiles .

aditya10r likes this.
  5. binayak95

binayak95 Regular Member

Chinki ships will be blown out of the water long before they steam anywhere close to targeting our ships. I'd love to see them get close to Indonesia. Hint: Su-30MKIs with Brahmos, MiG-29Ks with Kh-35, Jaguars with Harpoons.

Not to mention forward deployed Scorpenes with Exocets

Willy2 and aditya10r like this.
  6. Willy2

Willy2 Regular Member

The land which was in East Pakistan for 3 days
    OK...but what harm it will cause if we just install those extra VLS ? I mean ..OK we don't need to arm all those VLS ,we will continue to send our ships with 8 Brahmos , but just keep those VLS in ship , it will save time if situation suddenly implode ....hope u get what I am try to say .

indiatester and aditya10r like this.
  7. kamaal

kamaal Regular Member

There are only two inference from the INS Vishkapatnam design :
    1). The design agency was very naive and couldn't trust the super structure in handling the kinetic energy of AS missiles.
    2). There is something hidden inside that VLS, which is out of everybody's sight, may be they have kept missile storage space at the sides and the moment VLS launches a brahmos, it will be filled with another brahmos. I have always had this doubt as they have kept too many space on the deck, which is ridiculous.

SREEKAR, Willy2 and aditya10r like this.