Professor arrested over anti-Mamata cartoons

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ant80, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ant80

ant80 Regular Member

Link
    Mamata is proving to be quite the dictator. No free speech in Bengal anymore.

I never thought I'd say this, but West Bengal might've been better with the CPI.

sob, Bangalorean and maomao like this.
  3. Liberty_and_Freedom

Liberty_and_Freedom Regular Member

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India...ted-over-Mamata-cartoons/Article1-839847.aspx

Yes, we are truly shining.
    Excellent pro active work by the police, that's according to the Law of the Land I presume, one that is for the "common good of all concerned".

He was attacked and arrested on Thursday, if something happened to him before Friday morning, who would be responsible. Hmmm !!

How dayer you protest ? I am di lidar ob the massej, go home and eat your mach bhat(fish and rice). You are free to critisaij, but showing my dissishons in bad light ij illegal.

4. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Mamata is turning out to be the biggest rascal in India's political landscape.

From derailing all development projects, to making terrible populist moves, to trying to fleece the center to release bailout funds by blackmail - and now this? Arrest of cartoonists?

I hate this idiot woman more than any other Indian politician!

Mad Indian, sob and Adux like this.
  5. lcatejas

lcatejas Regular Member

What's new in that .. wo to aise hi cartoon dikhti hai ....:lol:

6. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

Are we going to see Orwellianisation of India?

7. ant80

ant80 Regular Member

I'd like to see the cartoon. If it caught the CM's eye, it must be good. Can someone please upload it?

On another note, Mamata is becoming the next Indian Nazi.

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Now if this is true, then it is a cartoon by itself, perpetuated by the biggest cartoon of the century!

I don't believe it.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  9. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Regular Member

she is the worst person i guess WB can have possibly voted for, People will not give her a free run just because she won, This is soul right of Congress

10. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Professor held for anti-Mamata cartoons; sparks outrage

Prof Mohapatra was charged with IPC offences relating to defamation and insulting the modesty of women as well as cyber crime offences for allegedly posting a cartoon of Trinmool leader Mamata Banerjee

Kolkata: A Jadavpur University professor was arrested on Friday for allegedly posting a cartoon on the internet showing West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in poor light after she forced out Dinesh Trivedi and put Mukul Roy in his place as Railway minister, reports PTI.

The arrest of Ambikesh Mohapatra, a Chemistry professor, sparked an outrage with opposition CPI-M and the academic community saying the police action is "highly atrocious" and a "clear assault" on the minimum democratic right of freedom of expression. The professor was later granted bail by an Alipore court.

Protests were also held by students and the professor's colleagues at the Jadavpur university campus here.

DCP (south suburban division) Sujay Chanda said the professor was arrested along with a neighbour residing in east Jadavpur for spreading derogatory messages against "respectable persons" on a popular social networking site.

Prof Mohapatra was charged with IPC offences relating to defamation and insulting the modesty of women as well as cyber crime offences, Police said.

Labour minister Purnendu Bose justified the arrest. He argued that the objectionable content was not a cartoon, but real pictures, which were nothing but an insult. "Law will take its own course," he said.

The cartoon in question, which was also sent by e-mail, showed chief minister and the railway minister apparently exchanging dialogues from a popular Bengali film Sonar Kella, a detective masterpiece by Satyajit Ray, which alluded to the replacement of Mr Trivedi by Mr Roy as Railway minister.

"The arrest is a clear assault on the democratic right of freedom of expression. It is like very much what happened during Emergency," CPI-M leader Brinda Karat said.

Ms Karat's party colleague Md Salim said the police action is highly ridiculous and highly atrocious.

Rebel Trinamool Congress MP Kabir Suman, who has fallen foul of party supremo Mamata Banerjee for his controversial statements, slammed the police for making the arrests. "What has been forwarded in the website is an innocent expression and it is difficult to accept that a person can be arrested on the basis of this," he said.

Educationist Sunanda Sanyal, who has parted ways with Banerjee in recent time, condemned the arrest and said it was made "on a flimsy ground".

Noted writer Sunil Gangopadhyay said the arrests were a pointer to the dictatorial attitude of the ruling party "which is ominous".

"I fail to understand how arrests can be made over cartoons which are natural expressions in a democracy and want to know when politicians will learn to ignore cartoons."

The writer demanded immediate release of the professor.

Professor held for anti-Mamata cartoons; sparks outrage - Moneylife Personal Finance site and magazine

11. nrj

12. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

My reaction -> :pound: :pound: :pound:

13. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

A decapitation is in order.

14. nrj

I've not yet seen any other Indian politician falling to such level over press cartoons.

Mamata Banerjee should learn from American politicians, who tolerate almost all kind of public criticism. And thats the way it should be, if at all she belives in democracy.

[​IMG]

Mad Indian, W.G.Ewald and pmaitra like this.
  15. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Forget US politicians, just look at how Indian politicians are abused and made fun of day and night. She should realize that she is no different.

16. utubekhiladi

utubekhiladi The Preacher Elite Member

17. utubekhiladi

utubekhiladi The Preacher Elite Member

the cartoon that got the professor arrested

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mad Indian, ant80 and pmaitra like this.
  18. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

^^ Spread it far and wide.

I also request cartoonists to make more and more Mamata cartoons. She should become an object of ridicule and derision for the entire nation, even worse than Laloo. Laloo used to take it in good spirit and laugh at it, but this woman will feel insulted and depressed. She deserves it.

Start a campaign against Mamata. Publish cartoon after cartoon.

ant80 and pmaitra like this.
  19. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Apparently, more and more people are drawing cartoons of Mamata in protest! :lol:

Translation:

Mad Indian, W.G.Ewald and Bangalorean like this.
  20. Liberty_and_Freedom

Liberty_and_Freedom Regular Member

21. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Any risk to DFI for having "defamatory" material here?

pmaitra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.