President's Foreign Policy Failures Increase

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
President Obama, like most American presidents, is lucky that the public pays little attention to foreign policy and rarely casts its votes on the basis of presidential foreign-policy performance. It required something as dramatic as the November 1979 Iranian seizing of our diplomats as hostages, followed the next month by the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan to turn Jimmy Carter's foreign policy mess into a major negative issue for him in his failed 1980 re-election bid.

Full article here RealClearPolitics - President's Foreign Policy Failures Increase

sob

Mod
Country flag
The real message is that Yes We Can Mess up the whole country in 3 Years.

Adux

Country flag
To blame Obama for WoT mess is completely unacceptable, if anything Bush and Cheney messed it up in the first term of Bush Jr. Now it is way too late, It should have been Pakistan and Afghanistan, not Iraq.

mayfair

To blame Obama for WoT mess is completely unacceptable, if anything Bush and Cheney messed it up in the first term of Bush Jr. Now it is way too late, It should have been Pakistan and Afghanistan, not Iraq.
Obama has had 3 years to take the war to Pakistan. Apart from the Abbottabad raid, what has he done? Besides paying them billions that is.

Adux

Country flag
Obama has had 3 years to take the war to Pakistan. Apart from the Abbottabad raid, what has he done? Besides paying them billions that is.
Do you think a timeline on Abbotabad is fair on him? Any President of USA would have done the same if he has got the intel. Obama didnt inherent the intel on OBL, it came to him mid 2010 and he took him out. I am not a big fan of Om-baba by a mile. I dont look at Obama and Bush as two seperate entities in US Foreign Policy, rather a continuation. Bush Jr, could have made the difference in 2001, or in 2004 by concentrating on the real terrorist, ie Pakistan instead of Iraq. Which he didnt. I would expect Bush Jr, if he hypothetically had a third term, to do exactly as the current President. I think the turning point was the Abbotabad raid, the truth was finally naked and in public. Do you think the US public has the stomach for another Iraq or Afghanistan? Is 180 million Pakistan, a pushover?

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I am in total agreement with you about the WOT mess. When 911 took place and the rhetoric started against the Saddam's rule in Iraq. It was at that time I was convinced that they are going after Saddam itself rather than Iraq. If you can recall Bush Jr. meeting Arab Gulf leaders at his Texas ranch, It was a clear indication that they are being briefed about the upcoming war against Iraq. We should not forget USA and Saudi Arabia are in bed together and that is not going to change in the near future.

Your point is well taken that main target should have been Pakistan and Afghanistan. How would they have dealt with the nuclear threat from Pakistan is an open question. I still think President Obama will have to carry out the ultimate assault of the same kind as was done Iraq that is complete destruction of Pakistan's agencies that is Armed Forces and intelligence agencies.Nothing should be spared and get hold of all nuclear research facilities and arsenal itself.

If and when the operation is undertaken it will be many times bigger than first attack on Afghanistan or Iraq. They might be already doing the exercises with multi national forces somewhere in USA or with in Afghanistan. Do you think Russia will be part of the team as well? It will have to be massive attack so that they do not give any chance to them to use the Nuke's at all.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles