President Pranab Mukherjee talks tough

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

President Pranab Mukherjee talks tough, says state-sponsored terrorism cannot be accepted

BRUSSELS: India wants peace with Pakistan but there can be no compromise with its own territorial integrity, President Pranab Mukherjee has said while asserting that state-sponsored terrorism from across the border cannot be accepted.

He also dismissed Pakistan's contention that "non-state actors" were behind the terror acts in India, saying they are not coming from heaven, but from territory under the control of the neighbouring country.

Mukherjee, who is on a four-day state visit to Belgium, reiterated that the terror infrastructure in Pakistan needs to be brought down.

"Terrorist activities must be curbed. And state-sponsored terrorism can never be accepted. Therefore, repeatedly we are saying, please dismantle the terrorist outfits which are located in your area," he said in an interview to Euronews.

Mukherjee said non-state actors who perpetrate terrorism was a word used by Pakistan.

"It may not be. But non-state actors, that is the phrase they used, then I responded by saying that non-state actors are not coming from heaven. Non-state actors are coming from territory under your control.

"And not now, in 2004 Pakistan agreed that their territories will not be allowed to be used by forces inimical to India," he said when he was asked to comment that India says that this is state-sponsored terrorism and Pakistan says it is not state-sponsored terrorism.

He said India does not have any territorial ambitions and wants peace with its neighbours while maintaining its own territorial integrity.

"In 1971, when Indira Gandhi was Prime Minister and Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was Prime Minister of Pakistan, India entered into an agreement which is known as Shimla Agreement...ninety-one thousand imprisoned soldiers, prisoners of war, were returned," he said.

"This was just to show the goodwill that in our basic foreign policy we do not have any territorial ambition, we do not have any ambition to export our ideology to any country or we do not have any commercial interests," Mukherjee said.

The President stressed that no country can, however, compromise on its territorial integrity.

"We want to have good relations with our neighbours. When I was Foreign Minister, more than often I used to say that I can change my friends if I like but I cannot change my neighbours if I like. I shall have to accept the neighbour the way he is.

President Pranab Mukherjee talks tough, says state-sponsored terrorism cannot be accepted - The Times of India

It is good to see that someone from the Congress can call a spade a spade and not do jaw jaw when Pakistan during the jaw jaw is creating the huge chaos in Keran and pretending nothing is happening!!

3. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

He was the best choice for pm from congress but path needed to be cleared for rahul so he was made president.

4. Ray

His long tenure in politics has made him savvy.

More so, since he has spent most of his political life beyond the hustle bustle of being elected, he has been able to have a ringside seat without the tensions and has been able to observe the shenanigans of political personalities and that of politics in general.

5. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Contrary to Pranab view, our impotent Govt has bought the lies sold by Paki PM and others.

6. Ray

Even so, I agree with the editorial of the Telegraph, which is a pro Congress newspaper.

One really feels sorry for the PM.

He not be a great PM, but nevertheless, he is the PM of India and he does not deserve the rough handling by his own party and that too, by an yuppie.

DOWNCAST PRIME MINISTER

The prime minister, Manmohan Singh, does not have too many friends and supporters these days. But even his critics must be feeling sorry for him after what he has had to endure in the last few days. It cannot be easy for Mr Singh as prime minister to be unsure about who is actually the leader of the Congress. Before he embarked on his trip to the United States of America, he was certain that the Congress was led by Sonia Gandhi, who had selected him for the top job some nine years ago. But on his return, he encountered a dramatic change. An ordinance that his government had passed with the approval of Ms Gandhi and the Congress core group had been described as a piece of nonsense by Rahul Gandhi, the vice-president of the Congress. And this had resulted in a flurry of activity to have the ordinance withdrawn. Suddenly, it must have appeared to the prime minister — as indeed it did to many others — that it was Mr Gandhi and not Ms Gandhi who was calling the shots within the Congress.

In one outburst, Mr Gandhi had undermined the position and authority of the prime minister and his cabinet as well as those of the Congress president and the party’s core group. Mr Singh did not need an Opposition leader to undermine his authority. His own party’s vice-president did it much better and more effectively. Since then, thanks to his mother, Mr Gandhi has recognized that his language had been rather intemperate, and he has also met Mr Singh. No one, save a fly on the wall, knows what transpired at that meeting. In public, Mr Gandhi has reiterated that he has the utmost respect for Mr Singh. The latter, like many others in India, must be wondering what this respect amounts to; he cannot be blamed if he harbours doubts in his mind about the sincerity of Mr Gandhi’s expression of respect. What must appear striking to Mr Singh is the contrast in the behaviour of the Congress president and that of the vice-president, between mother and son. Ms Gandhi, ever since she made Mr Singh prime minister, has been grace personified. She never questioned his authority and his decisions and when/if she had differences with him, she settled them quietly over one to one meetings. This is one principal reason why this relationship has worked. Having relinquished the top job, she has never been the overbearing party president. There can be no doubt that Mr Singh is deeply appreciative of this.

It is no one’s argument that Mr Singh is the perfect or ideal prime minister. What, however, should not be ignored is that he is the prime minister of India (editor's italics). Therefore, he deserves to be treated as one, even when he errs. Mr Singh, being a scholar, is probably aware that he is witnessing a transition within the Congress. It is a transition, the outcome of which has been long foretold, but that does not make it easy. Mr Singh has seen too much to be impetuous. That is the privilege of having power without responsibility.

downcast prime minister