President nod to blanket ban on cow slaughter in Maharashtra

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Vishwarupa, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

The slaughter of cows, bulls, bullocks and calves, is now completely banned in Maharashtra under the Maharashtra Animal Preservation (amendment) Act (MAPA), 1995, which received President Pranab Mukherjee’s nod on Monday.

There is already a blanket ban in the state on the slaughter of cows. The amended Act puts a blanket ban on the slaughter of bulls, bullocks and calves, too. However, the slaughter of female buffaloes and buffalo calves can continue, but only with the permission of relevant authorities.

Under the amended act, the crime of slaughtering the animals covered under the ban will be non-bailable and the punishment will be five years in prison, upped from the earlier six months. The fine, too, has been hiked to Rs 10,000 from the current Rs 1,000.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/popup/2015/3/nod_after_19yrs.jpg

The slaughter of cows is banned under schedule 5 of the Act passed in 1976. Schedule 6 of the Act, however, allowed the slaughter of bulls and bullocks, female buffaloes and buffalo calves with permission. The amendment now puts bulls, bullocks and calves under schedule 5 of the Act, which means a blanket ban on their slaughter.

“The amendment will come into force once the notification is issued by the state government,” said Mahesh Pathak, secretary of the animal husbandry and dairy development department.

The Sena-BJP government in 1995 moved an amendment for the inclusion of bulls, bullocks and calves under schedule 5 of MAPA. After the passage of the bill, it was sent to the Centre for the final nod in 1996.

In a letter sent to the Governor of Maharashtra on Monday, the union ministry of home affairs conveyed the President’s assent given on February 26 as per provisions in Article 201 of the Constitution of India. Finance minister Sudhir Mungantiwar, who was instrumental in the passage of the bill, had been pursuing the issue with the Centre for the last two months.

“The agriculture ministry had passed negative remarks after the bill was sent to the Centre in November last year. The agriculture department had pointed at provisions of schedule 6 of the Act claiming that only aged animals were being sent for slaughter. It was only after we convinced the political leadership about the importance of the bill, that the remarks were changed and the bill was sent to the ministry of home affairs,” said a BJP leader on the condition of anonymity.

Beef ban in Maharashtra, 5 years jail for slaughter

3. Simple_Guy

Simple_Guy Regular Member

double post..

4. Simple_Guy

Simple_Guy Regular Member

MP goes tough on cow slaughter - The Times of India

5. Vishwarupa

Even though i am against the slaughtering of cows, i would like to ponder upon other side of the issues.

What are the disadvantage of Cow slaughtering?

Are lower section of the society effected by this? are they only depended on beef meat for nutrition?
    What will or should a low income farmer do with bulls & old cows?

Illusive likes this.
  6. Vikramjeet

Vikramjeet Regular Member

Good move.

Sylex21 likes this.
  7. jus

jus Senior Member Senior Member

It is what irks me.Better alternative should be open pork shops near mosque&ghettos than ban beef.

Sylex21 likes this.
  8. Vishwarupa

I have already clarified that i am against killing of cows.

I also wanted to know the views from different prespectives.

9. jus

I'm non veg,all animals equal for me(I personally don't eat cat/dog/cow but if some one eats it none of my business).If u see present scenario ban beef specifically to target Muslims.
    My solution is target where it hurts more,open pork shops near mosques&ghettos.Problem solved.

10. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Nutrition my foot.

It's such a idiotic myth that meat provides "nutrition" which veg can't provide.Due to this false propaganda even lot of ignorants who were veg started eating meat on false pretext.

Veg food has all what it takes to "Nutrition" which is much cheaper than meat.Except "taste" and "fondness" there is nothing much different in meat.

On topic... it's a good move.We should ban or reduce slaughter of Cows/Buffs just for meat.When the Western world is gradually moving towards veg and vegan we people are becoming more and more non-veg and that too on false pretexts.Also Cows/Buffs are holy in our land.

DingDong and Sylex21 like this.
  11. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

Good move. The state of nationalists like savarkar was without anti-cow slaughter act is shocking!!!!!!

12. Khagesh

Khagesh Regular Member

Great move. First step towards winding up the Pink revolution. This and the citizenship to refugees from Pakistan shows they mean business.

My ultimate wishlist is for the end to the FCRA funding aka bribes to NGO tamashbeen culture and an end to German language option.

Congressis were ultimate slaves.

rock127 likes this.
  13. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

I can understand cow slaughter ban, but whats with bull and buffalo ban. Cultural sensitivity is cow slaughter not bull or buffalo.

14. Khagesh

Khagesh Regular Member

While good for a one off laugh but no that is stupid. Our job is to stand for ourselves not to force people into trouble. If however while on our way, somebody tries to create trouble then he must be responded too, properly.

15. jus

This is the problem with Indians & mostly Hindus... don't wait problem to come to us (or defensive),don't wait Muslims to BURN women&kids in PUBLIC TRAIN,rape&kill in muzzaffarnagar etc.Attack before they start attacking so that they will behave humanly or think 1000 times b4 doing any nasty things.

the Best Defense is good Offense :namaste:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    Scorpio69, rock127 and Sylex21 like this.
  16. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

That Gandhi style "Peace Hippies" worked well and resulted in partition.

This "Peace Hippies" :peace: didn't give us much and we are regarded a a soft state.We lost 40% of our original land and population being so peaceful.

We need to make sure that we are not mere pushovers and take signs seriously.

17. Jatt.Hindustan

Jatt.Hindustan Tihar Jail Banned

Vedas and Gurus say warriors need meat for certain aspects suxh as rajas or rajgun.

Ohysical nutrition I guess veggie can work, it is true many sections of society such as vaish, vaid, oandit should not eat meat.

Why not open pork shop and ban cow slaughter?

Nihangs used to make imams carry the boar they hunted back to their camps

Scorpio69 and maomao like this.