Prahaar Short Range Tactical Missile System

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
It makes sense to keep this new missile as non nuclear, as this will not create a panic at the time of launch, as it is non strategic missile. I guess it will be spread at divisional level for use

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It makes sense to keep this new missile as non nuclear, as this will not create a panic at the time of launch, as it is non strategic missile. I guess it will be spread at divisional level for use
Nuclear or not,Their is no panic..

These Missiles will hit all kinds of targets mostly C2 systems..

Country flag
The combination of a modified Prahar short range and Nirbhay long range can be a good alternative for some warships, leaving the expensive brahmos in reserve.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Prithvi missile is suddenly being looked down upon in various forums because of this new kid on the block

But Prithvi has been made and inducted in Large numbers for the last 20 years

So Prithvi will be the mainstay of our 150 km range category missiles for the next 5 years at least Till Brahmos and Prahar are inducted in large numbers

Country flag
Prithvi missile is suddenly being looked down upon in various forums because of this new kid on the block

But Prithvi has been made and inducted in Large numbers for the last 20 years

So Prithvi will be the mainstay of our 150 km range category missiles for the next 5 years at least Till Brahmos and Prahar are inducted in large numbers
Prithvi will still be around. In the navy Dhanush is on some ships. PAD used in our BMD program and the new interceptor that will be tested later this year PDV all got their start in the prithvi program.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Prithvi is strategic now...this new kid is going to be tactical.

prime

This missile would definately bridge the gap between the pinaka and the bhramos but it would have been much better if it could deliver nuclear warheads. would have been a great answer to the hatf 9 missile from pakistan. still the missile has to be accurate and must have a fast mobile launcher so that it can quickly change its positions after the launch.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This missile would definately bridge the gap between the pinaka and the bhramos but it would have been much better if it could deliver nuclear warheads. would have been a great answer to the hatf 9 missile from pakistan. still the missile has to be accurate and must have a fast mobile launcher so that it can quickly change its positions after the launch.
I dont know anything abt Pakistan, But the bridge between Pinaka 40km and Bhramos 290km is smerch 90-100kms..

It is said this Prahar is 150km but i doubt it will updated to 600km with time ahead just like Pritivi..

plugwater

Prithvi will still be around. In the navy Dhanush is on some ships. PAD used in our BMD program and the new interceptor that will be tested later this year PDV all got their start in the prithvi program.
Armed forces are ready to dump Prithvi. It has been mentioned that they favor K series missiles than prithvi. PAD is a prithvi missile but i dont think AAD and PDV are derived from Prithvi missile.

plugwater

I dont know anything abt Pakistan, But the bridge between Pinaka 40km and Bhramos 290km is smerch 90-100kms..

It is said this Prahar is 150km but i doubt it will updated to 600km with time ahead just like Pritivi..
Hatf 9 has only 60 km range Kunal sir.
We have very less Smerch systems, we can mass produce this missile so i think this missile will replace smerch in future.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Hatf 9 has only 60 km range Kunal sir.
We have very less Smerch systems, we can mass produce this missile so i think this missile will replace smerch in future.
Pinaka 2 is intended for that purpose.. ( 120km ) work is in progress..

prime

pinaka 2 (120km) is a 7.2m long rocket with 250 kg of payload which may or may not have a guiding system. where as the prahar would be a more accurate missile. so i think both the projects are different.

plugwater

pinaka 2 (120km) is a 7.2m long rocket with 250 kg of payload which may or may not have a guiding system. where as the prahar would be a more accurate missile. so i think both the projects are different.
Just read that Pinaka 2 was cancelled instead DRDO will make a new rocket with same dimensions you have given and it will come with guidance system so it could be prahaar.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Just read that Pinaka 2 was cancelled instead DRDO will make a new rocket with same dimensions you have given and it will come with guidance system so it could be prahaar.
Interesting, Link ?..

plugwater

ARDE has announced that it is developing a 7.2-metre rocket for the Pinaka MBRL, which can reach a distance of 120 km and carry a 250 kg payload. These new rockets can be fired in 44 seconds, have a maximum speed of mach 4.7, rise to an altitude of 40 km before hitting its target at mach 1.8 and can destroy an area of 3.9 sq km. Integrating UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) with the Pinaka is also in the pipeline, as DRDO intends to install guidance systems on these rockets to increase their accuracy.

Latest Defence news: Pinaka multi-barrel rocket launcher weapon system
Sagem delivers Sigma 30 for Pinaka rocket launchers - Brahmand.com

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles