Prahaar Short Range Tactical Missile System

plugwater

With the greater range of this missile do you think we will still go for Maitri??
LF, Maitri is a short range(15km) surface to air missile, This is a surface to surface missile.

Anyway our ACM said in his recent interview that Maitri is under development but i dont know how much it has progressed.

Country flag
LF, Maitri is a short range(15km) surface to air missile, This is a surface to surface missile.

Anyway our ACM said in his recent interview that Maitri is under development but i dont know how much it has progressed.
Let me clarify yes I know the difference but my point is if we can make a Quick reaction surface to surface missile how difficult will it be to modify it and have a surface to air missile especially with experience in other programs like Akash?? Expect an indigenous quick reaction surface to air missile in the future and Maitri program cancelled. We also have Python and derby on SPYDER's if anything we can ask Israelis for assistance??

plugwater

Let me clarify yes I know the difference but my point is if we can make a Quick reaction surface to surface missile how difficult will it be to modify it and have a surface to air missile especially with experience in other programs like Akash?? Expect an indigenous quick reaction surface to air missile in the future and Maitri program cancelled. We also have Python and derby on SPYDER's if anything we can ask Israelis for assistance??
I don't think we can change a surface to surface missile into surface to air missile that easily but we can change an anti ballistic missile in to surface to air missile. DRDO had a plan to change AAD interceptor into ashwin surface to air LR missile but no news after that. maitri is a JV between us and french so it wont be cancelled, spyder will come next year and no tot involved in it, it is just a stop gap measure till maitri comes .

Country flag
If the airforce is already making plans to modify this missile then be ready for suprises

from article above

The Prahar will come on a platform with excellent mobility, Mr Saraswat said. The DRDO is in talks with the Indian Army for the introduction for the missile. He said the Prahas has potential for use by the Indian Air Force as well.

buddhadeb

DRDO needs to develop it to extended range of 250-300 to deploy in the northern-eastern sector
pinaka 60-120 km is under developing and will come out in 2012

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
DRDO needs to develop it to extended range of 250-300 to deploy in the northern-eastern sector
pinaka 60-120 km is under developing and will come out in 2012
Ah the eternal greedy Indian people. Abhi to test hua nahi, demanding extended range.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
hope this is separate from 120km unguided future version of pinaka.hence we will have a complete set of missiles and rockets enough to target pakistan and china-namely prahar,prithvi,brahmos,shaurya,nirbhoy,agni-1,agni2,agni3,agni5 and k-15,k-4,agni-6(sl).i am sure after the completion of the above missiles drdo can concentrate on icbm.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
good development, i am waiting for its sucessful launch, drdo work hard my best wishes are with you.

If you guys think that L&T launcher is for this missile, then guys, i must say that launcher is for some thing special for various reasons, first it was too big for this missile, second that launcher is complete system, it can do work of three vehicle on its own, you wont take such big systm close to border, finally it is so special that they have done wind tunnel test on it, threrfore it is meant for something special(PDV is my guess, even L&T guys had no idea, drdo works on need to know basis). I think launcher for this missile would be regular army type truck, lets wait for some time.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Jingo is happy

But what about "multiple warheads" thing? Is this is going to use the run way denial warheads designed for Prithvi.

If yes, then I guess, prithvi is on way out, and we will see more of shourya in coming days

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its time to say good bye to Pritavi types..

debasree

Country flag
good,at last get a weapon which can destroy enemy armour formation and thus give us excellent opportunaty to avoide long bloody armour warfare,

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
^^

As of no mention of "nuclear capability", so safe to assume it is conventional missile

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Anyone following Pak media. What are they saying now about this new missile?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
^^

Stubby nose, for a tactical missile,,,,,,,,,,,, Is it for nirbhay, by any chance?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles