Prahaar Short Range Tactical Missile System

Country flag
First make roads, if not rail too, to carry thse systems to every nook and corner of the border. And mind you, Pakistan is not the only country with which India has a border. If cost of one prahar means some stretch of road then road is first and Prahar later. What is use of making a system which is not supported by infrastructure.

Learn from the Chinese. Make raods and rails first and other things will follow. That is why DRDO is a purely self centred commercial entity.
I agree with you about infrastructure development but I don't think it is a priority as you may think. With Praahar's 150KM range there is a lot of flexibility and there must be a road somewhere in the vicinity to use it, you mentioned earlier that we can fire it 50km inside Indian territory and still have 100km range. In the 50km it is hard to believe there would not be a road somewhere??

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Kunal sir with eyes in the sky, it would be better to use civilian trucks with regular cargo containers, as it is very difficult to spot it. With satellite getting thermal image and radars, so we start making it smartly and stealthy to blend it with other trucks. Thus making job of enemy more difficult.

just imagine finding missile container from all those containers

Last edited:

arya

Country flag
I agree with you about infrastructure development but I don't think it is a priority as you may think. With Praahar's 150KM range there is a lot of flexibility and there must be a road somewhere in the vicinity to use it, you mentioned earlier that we can fire it 50km inside Indian territory and still have 100km range. In the 50km it is hard to believe there would not be a road somewhere??
agree but still we need good roads and fast railyways

just think if we can run bullet train then we can deply our man power, our weapons with minimum times

good road must be for deployments and defence

Country flag
agree but still we need good roads and fast railyways

just think if we can run bullet train then we can deply our man power, our weapons with minimum times

good road must be for deployments and defence
we may not have time to build the roads that is why we are making clever weapons acquisitions one example is the C-17 which can take off from short or crude runways or airstrips.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
we may not have time to build the roads that is why we are making clever weapons acquisitions one example is the C-17 which can take off from short or crude runways or airstrips.
Not easy sir, In war its almost impossible to supply via air so much, PLAAF thread will be always there, Army is just start working on right path..

Country flag
Not easy sir, In war its almost impossible to supply via air so much, PLAAF thread will be always there, Army is just start working on right path..
you are right Kunal but it is also harder to maintain supply lines from an offensive position then a defensive position.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
you are right Kunal but it is also harder to maintain supply lines from an offensive position then a defensive position.
Sir, i was talking inside our own territory, situation is not good..

JAISWAL

here is the video of PRAHAAR test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
Army's 'Cold Start' doctrine gets teeth

Army's 'Cold Start' doctrine gets teeth

India's ability to win a quick, pre-emptive war against Pakistan has been enhanced by a useful new set of teeth. This morning, at a missile test range in Balasore, Orissa, the Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO) launched its first-ever Prahaar missile, a mobile, truck-mounted rocket that can strike within 10 metres of a target 150 km away.

The Prahaar gives a huge boost to India's 'Cold Start' military doctrine. This method of war would be adopted as retaliation for any grave Pakistani provocation, such as another 26/11 Mumbai-style terror attack. Cold Start involves multiple, simultaneous invasions of Pak territory with quickly assembled Indian Army battle groups, well before Pakistani forces can reach the border and occupy defensive positions. The Prahaar would provide the army's invading battle groups with lethal fire support, striking Pakistani headquarters far behind the frontlines, and destroying roads, railways, bridges and other communications infrastructure that are essential for rushing Pak forces to the border.

Unlike the DRDO's Prithvi missile, introduced into service as a 150-km range, nuclear-capable ballistic missile, the Prahaar is categorised as a 'battlefield tactical missile'. Its maximum payload of 200 kg does not allow the Prahaar to carry a nuclear weapon (which are seldom under 500 kg). However, nuclear-capable ballistic missiles are useful only in the nightmarish eventuality of nuclear war; the Prahaar can be useful at every stage of a Cold Start campaign. Being a solid-fuel missile, it can swing into action quickly in response to rapidly evolving situations. And, its short flight time -- just 250 seconds or just over four minutes -- allows it to engage fleeting targets that would disappear in the time it would take to scramble and fly in fighter aircraft.

Further, the Prahaar's range of warheads, which the DRDO has developed, gives the Indian Army multiple options. It could carry a cargo warhead containing bomblets that disperse over a wide area, killing any exposed troops. Alternatively, it could carry air-delivered mines, which spread across a piece of terrain, denying passage to enemy infantry or tanks. Or the Prahaar could carry a single, high-explosive warhead that can demolish even the best-protected target or critical infrastructure.

FREEING THE IAF
So far, many of these targets have fallen to the lot of the Indian Air Force. But in a Cold Start situation, the emphasis of the IAF, especially during the initial crucial days, would focus on attacking the Pak Air Force to prevent it from causing casualties in the Indian Army's attacking battle groups or stopping their advance. By using the Prahaar against enemy entities beyond the range of artillery guns or rockets (30-40 km), or for interdicting enemy reserves and logistic columns far behind the lines, IAF fighters would be freed for "counter-air operations" against the PAF.

If, as is more than likely, the IAF buys the Prahaar in numbers, the missile could be effectively launched against forward Pakistani air bases, destroying fighters on the ground and damaging runways, air defence radars and air control networks. Currently, manned fighter aircraft perform these tasks, often at the cost of pilots' lives and shot-down fighters.

Pakistan has no battlefield missile similar to the Prahaar. Over recent years, its scientists have focused on developing the Hatf-9 (or Nasr) short range, ballistic missile, which seeks to deter a Cold Start campaign with an ability to deliver a nuclear warhead to a maximum distance of 60 kms. Since most Indian cities are farther than that, strategists believe the Hatf-9 is intended for counter-force targeting, i.e. against one or more of the Indian Army's integrated battle groups inside Pak territory. This would serve notice of Pakistani resolve to carry out a counter-value strike, which would take the form of a longer-range missile, carrying a nuclear warhead to one or more large Indian cities.

According to the DRDO, the Prahaar is comparable to the US Army's Advanced Tactical Missile System, extensively used during the invasion of Iraq in 2003. The Prahaar is launched from a Road Mobile System developed by Larsen & Toubro, which can carry six missiles. All six can be fired in a salvo, each against a different target.

According to the DRDO, the Prahaar was developed in a period of just two years.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Cos they let the success speak for them.
So according to you, they learned everything magically, gone on to make a system.
Please spare us of this thought process

plugwater

So according to you, they learned everything magically, gone on to make a system.
Please spare us of this thought process
DRDO does not hire idiots so they do not need magic. They worked hard for 2 years so they succeeded.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
That reflects on only Pakistan orientation in thinking and perhaps lack of awareness about the state of things on Northern and Eastern Frontiers where sensitivities exist. That is also indicative the vastness of Tibet is being ignored.

The kind of launchers and vehicles shown above requires a perticular classification of road which do exist in in a few areas but not every where. That would make the areas from where it can be launched predictable and restricted. From where will Indian Army launch the missile to destroy targets around Mansarovar or across Karakoram. Use C-17 you said. Ok launch and scoot but at what cost? Will even Globe Master be able to ferry across few launchers to Menchukka or Khonsa?

I doubt. But what is the harm in fast tracking development of two - lane raods there so that India could fire with hundred launchers in one go. Unless someone has planes of using Bramhputra for launching Prahar like missiles.
My aim was to point out some gray areas where attention is not being paid.

Pakistan is passe.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Unless someone has planes of using Bramhputra for launching Prahar like missiles.
that is interesting idea............ infact something like that for small navy ships would also be good idea.

these are already available in the market.

My aim was to point out some gray areas where attention is not being paid.

Pakistan is passe.
that is true, we have to pass Pakistan and think of China. Long range cruise missile is cooking up, let us wait for its launch.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
i want to ask one question here . what amount of time does it requires to prepare such missiles. pakistan had developed their nasar and must have planned for it past 2-3 years back . did indian governement had intelligence report over it and instructed DRDO to develop counter to it. i also read in some previous post that drdo developed this missile alone without GOI approval. i want to ask whether some defence organisation (eg army or GOI) asked unofficially to develope Prahaar missile considering that pakistan was developing nasar.

i asumed that goi/army intelligence had information about pakistan developing nasar so they asked for counter of it from drdo

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
i want to ask one question here . what amount of time does it requires to prepare such missiles. pakistan had developed their nasar and must have planned for it past 2-3 years back . did indian governement had intelligence report over it and instructed DRDO to develop counter to it. i also read in some previous post that drdo developed this missile alone without GOI approval. i want to ask whether some defence organisation (eg army or GOI) asked unofficially to develope Prahaar missile considering that pakistan was developing nasar.

i asumed that goi/army intelligence had information about pakistan developing nasar so they asked for counter of it from drdo

If you are asking about time for development of missile,

Prahaar is spin-off from other missiles we developed over years including restless IGMDP. Military intelligence generally has knowledge of enemy's missile program. We have dedicated agency to study it (Research & Analysis Wing). However, such information never surface in public domain. We even had knowledge of Pak's nuclear weapons in late 80s itself.

DRDO has certain level of autonomy over which it can develop weapons without funding from government as for the purpose of technology demonstration. Now that user(IA) is happy with missle, things will move & Army/GOI will allocate money for orders/development respectively.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
DRDO does not hire idiots so they do not need magic. They worked hard for 2 years so they succeeded.
Don't change the line, you said younger generation is more capable then older generation. How do you arrive to this conclusion.

plugwater

Don't change the line, you said younger generation is more capable then older generation. How do you arrive to this conclusion.
Because they delivered but the seniors didn't!! Heard about PDV ? I have been waiting for them to test for more then a year.

agentperry

i just saw its video and unbelievable beast prahaar is. so damn fast.
DAYYUMMM MAN

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Because they delivered but the seniors didn't!! Heard about PDV ? I have been waiting for them to test for more then a year.
The work was given to them, with a ready made base of others work (Hint AAD), that is why they are able to deliver it quickly, please don't make arrogant remarks without knowing the history

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles