Prahaar Short Range Tactical Missile System

Pintu

Press Information Bureau English Releases

Ministry of Defence21-July, 2011 17:04 IST
DRDO Launches `PRAHAAR' - Surface to Surface Tactical Missile
DRDO successfully flight tested its latest surface to surface Missile `PRAHAAR' from Launch Complex III, off Chandipur Coast, ITR, Balasore, Orissa today. The Missile with a range of 150 kms, comparable to ATACMS Missile of United States of America, fills the vital gap between Multi Barrel Rockets and Medium Range Ballistic Missiles. The Missile capable of carrying different types of warheads, operates as battle field support system to the Indian Army.

The Missile with a length of 7.3 meters and diameter of 420 mm weighing 1280 kgs, and a single stage solid propulsion system went to a height of 35 kms before reaching the targets of the range of 150 kms in about 250 seconds. Equipped with state of the art high accuracy navigation, guidance and electro mechanical actuation systems with latest onboard computer, it achieved terminal accuracy of less than 10 meters.

The Missile with a pay load of 200 kgs has a fast reaction time, which is essential for the battle field tactical missile. The Missile was launched from a Road Mobile System, which can carry six missiles at a time and can be fired in salvo mode in all directions covering the entire azimuth plane.

The Missile system is developed to provide Indian Army a cost effective, quick reaction, all weather, all terrain, high accurate battle field support tactical system. The development of Missile was carried out by the DRDO Scientists in a short span of less than two years.

The flight path of the Missile was tracked and monitored by the various Radar systems and Electro Optical systems located along the coast of Orissa. An Indian Naval ship located near target point in Bay of Bengal witnessed the final event.

The launch operations were witnessed by Dr. V.K. Saraswat, Scientific Adviser to Raksha Mantri and Secretary Defence R & D, Lt Gen Vinod Nayanar, AVSM, Director General of Artillery, IHQ of MoD (Army). A team of scientists headed by Shri Avinash Chander, Chief Controller R&D, DRDO coordinated the entire launching operations.

Defence Minister Shri AK Antony has congratulated the Scientists of DRDO for the successful maiden launch of the new Missile.

DM/NN
(Release ID :73407)

Country flag
DRDO has done a great job last 2 indigenous missiles both have a CEP of 10 or less(Shaurya the other).

Rahul Singh

Country flag
For me, the party is over. Proving the capability of missile is awesome but it's not that makes it lethal. To me it is the mobility and reaction time that makes it a 21st century tactical missile and for that DRDO will have to soon test and prove capability of actual version of Prahar(canister fired) and 4-6 tube capable TEL.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I think they need to work on launcher real hard, remember we have to fire 6 missile from that launcher, we cannot have soft launch, that will add extra stage to missile and will add cost to project, objective is to have cheap affordable missile at that range of 150 km, that flame diverter cannot be place under all the 6 missile at the same time.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the prahaar is said to be a direct spin-off of aad.now if prahaar can be carried as 6 misiles per tel why can't the same be done for aad instead of this cage type launcher?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
the prahaar is said to be a direct spin-off of aad.now if prahaar can be carried as 6 misiles per tel why can't the same be done for aad instead of this cage type launcher?
it will have 6 cage, that is not problem, that flame diverter is problem as you cannot have 6 of those diverter in launcher

here prithvi missile with flame diverter

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I think they need to work on launcher real hard, remember we have to fire 6 missile from that launcher, we cannot have soft launch, that will add extra stage to missile and will add cost to project, objective is to have cheap affordable missile at that range of 150 km, that flame diverter cannot be place under all the 6 missile at the same time.

Some thing like this which is possible through tatra..

BGM-109G Gryphon

Our missiles are smaller in diameter and we can develop one of these..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Kunal sir, hope L&T would come up with better system, BTW their is separate DRDO lab for launcher.

BTW this is better system from Shaurya missile

few of these system put on truck send to border would be cost effective and easy to hide if we dig in.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
kunal sir other option is to have the missiles on cargo container.

that will be easy to hide, as US track those missile launcher trucks from satellite pics using software programmes, therefore what ever system comes we have to standardize so that it will be easy to hide.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Let me start .. Karachi outskirts, Hyderabad, Mirpur Khas, Bahawalpur, Multan outskirts, Faisalabad, Lahore, Gujranwala, Rawalpindi, Islamabad :p
Rahtore Ji, that is rediculious to say the least. Indians are not like Pakistanies who believe in terrorising the poeple, public and cities. Thus naming major population centers should be avaided as Indian Forces will never be asked to target population centers of Pakistan. Unfortunately, though what ever nemes you mentioned also happen to be major air bases and cantonments areas.

Prahar will be used as counter force weapon in conventional or otherwise nuclear mode. For those cities and towns one would need counter value weapons for which Prahar may not suffice.

Yes, Prahar will be able to hit the cantonments before the Pakistani Forces start their engines. Besides, may be bridges, roads, bottlenecks, runways, major ammo dumps, railway stations and marshallig yards. Minimum range of 50 km means Indians will be able to fire on advancing Pakistani columns wile remaining 100 km inside India from the border.

Crossings on Satluj will be pounded without using aircrafts, though No misslile can replace aircrafts. It may force Pakistanies to posture South of Satluj. Well that is what is desired.

Scientist make weapons but soldiers use them. Using is the crux of the matter.

Be magnanimous warrior as per your name.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
you said:

"think they need to work on launcher real hard, remember we have to fire 6 missile from that launcher, we cannot have soft launch, that will add extra stage to missile and will add cost to project, objective is to have cheap affordable missile at that range of 150 km, that flame diverter cannot be place under all the 6 missile at the same time."

Agree with you but we have a good network of roads and infrastructure all along India - Pak border including railway lines. Hence shoot and scoot will be easy. These launcher might not be required to get inside much. Only problem would be the amount of smoke and dust it would kick up. I think I would take those on the bank of a canal and the fire.

On our northern borders we have a real problems. What is the use of such launchers if these can not be taken up. Border at places would be more than 300 km from plains !!

Having misslies there would not be good enough.

arya

Country flag
well good work

but there is imp req so that we can deploy them any where at short time

i am awaiting for agni5 successful test then i will say congrats to drdo till now good work

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
kunal sir other option is to have the missiles on cargo container.

that will be easy to hide, as US track those missile launcher trucks from satellite pics using software programmes, therefore what ever system comes we have to standardize so that it will be easy to hide.
Its a good Idea, We should do this to Bharmos..

Also sir i got another pics, This one is more compact..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
well good work

but there is imp req so that we can deploy them any where at short time

i am awaiting for agni5 successful test then i will say congrats to drdo till now good work
First make roads, if not rail too, to carry thse systems to every nook and corner of the border. And mind you, Pakistan is not the only country with which India has a border. If cost of one prahar means some stretch of road then road is first and Prahar later. What is use of making a system which is not supported by infrastructure.

Learn from the Chinese. Make raods and rails first and other things will follow. That is why DRDO is a purely self centred commercial entity.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles