Post-9/11, US sought India's military help for Afghan operations

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
After 9/11 attacks, the US govt had sent its chief with 3 military demands - direct assistance to its navy, air force & presence of Indian troops in Afghanistan.

http://toi.in/JnUYtY

A.V.

India Rejected US request for Military help in Afganistan.

NEW DELHI: Days after the 9/11 attacks in the US 10 years ago, the American administration had sent its Pacific Command chief to New Delhi with three specific military demands - direct assistance to its navy and air force and presence of Indian troops in Afghanistan. The requests were rejected after Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee overruled a divided cabinet committee on security, one of the stakeholders disclosed to TOI a decade after India took the decisive turn and refused to join the military operations in Afghanistan.

The key source involved in decision making in India's security apparatus, Admiral Dennis Blair, then head of the US Pacific Command, was dispatched to New Delhi to present the US demands. The demands were fleet support for US military ships in Mumbai and Goa, 'stage-through' facility at Indian Air Force bases for US long range bombers and Indian ground troops in Afghanistan.

The demands were placed in the last week of November 2001 when Admiral Dennis Blair visited New Delhi and met the government top brass, including then defence minister George Fernandes, then national security advisor Brajesh Mishra and Admiral Sushil Kumar, then Naval chief and chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee.

more ;- Post-9/11, US sought India's military help for Afghan ops - The Times of India

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I highly doubt about the credibility of this piece of article because for India only way around to reach Afghanistan was the durran line, it would be in the strategic interest of India to do so and India wont have rejected such a proposal.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I highly doubt about the credibility of this piece of article because for India only way around to reach Afghanistan was the durran line, it would be in the strategic interest of India to do so and India wont have rejected such a proposal.
Report says the Chief of staff rejected it. So it looks like the armed forces were not for it.

Zebra

Country flag
I think India was ready for full support .

I would like to post General Pervez Musharraf's speech (after 9/11 ) addressing to people of Pakistan . I watched this on Indian TV after 9/11 . ( just few part of the speech here ....... )

"Let's Look at Our Neighbors: They [e.g. India] Have Promised the U.S. All Cooperation; They Want to Isolate Us, Get Us Declared a Terrorist State"

"We in Pakistan are facing a very critical situation perhaps as critical as the events in 1971. If we make the wrong decisions, our vital interests will be harmed.

"I have discussed all this with my corps commanders, politicians and prominent Pakistanis. Tomorrow I am meeting the tribal chiefs. I have to say that opinions are divided, but the vast majority supports us. I would say that about 15% are tending towards emotional reactions.

"Let's look at our neighbors. They [e.g. India] have promised the U.S. all cooperation. They want to isolate us, get us declared a terrorist state.

"They have met in Dushanbe with some other countries and plan to try and install [an] anti-Pakistani government in Afghanistan. So our neighbor is busy trying to harm us. If you see their television, they are busy with propaganda against us.

"I want to tell them to 'lay off.' Our forces are on full alert and ready for a do-or-die mission. In this situation, if we make the wrong decisions, it can be very bad for us. Our critical concerns are our sovereignty, second our economy, third our strategic assets (nuclear and missiles), and fourth our Kashmir cause. All four will be harmed if we make the wrong decision. When we make these decisions they must be according to Islam."

http://http://nmen.org/in-historic-post-911-speech-gen-musharraf-defends-collaboration-with-u-s-against-taliban-saying-hes-following-example-of-prophet-muhammad-when-the-jews-saw-islam-becoming-stronger-they-conspi/

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
We might as well got to Afghanistan and risk all out war than this slow decay of South Asia.

We might as well have an tooth and nail war between Hindus and Muslims and slaughter each other and both learn that they cant run their mouths in public like Zakir Naik who thinks he can say anything or VHP. Both communities will gain a mutual respect after that.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The way India could reach is through Chahbahar in Iran.

While Iran was not favourable to the US, it is debatable if Iran would be against Indian presence in Afghanistan because that would ensure that the interest of the 'Northern Alliance' of which Iran was a stakeholder would be 'protected'. Also the Indian presence would tone down the US presence and any anti Iran activity by the US from Afghanistan.

Iran was and is inimical to Pakistan because Pakistan sponsors the Jandullah Sunni terrorist of Baloch origin who raid and create problems for Iran in the Baloch areas of Iran. Iran is very sensitive to the fear that the Balochis of Iran and Pakistan would unite and the Sunni area of Iran Balochis would become a part of Pakistan.

India must have baulked at the thought that giving US berthing and victualling facilities for its Navy and also airfield facilities for the USAF would have given the Opposition a handle that India had been sold to the US and had become a surrogate. Further, there could have been the worry that this would be the stepping stone to the US drawing India into its defence pacts and thereby controlling Indian foreign policy.

The above would be true if the report is true.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
We might as well got to Afghanistan and risk all out war than this slow decay of South Asia.

We might as well have an tooth and nail war between Hindus and Muslims and slaughter each other and both learn that they cant run their mouths in public like Zakir Naik who thinks he can say anything or VHP. Both communities will gain a mutual respect after that.
I think Indians are not inimical to the Muslims at large.

Therefore, one should not mix up the animosity to Pakistan with that of Indian attitude towards the general Muslim world and Muslim.

Zakir Naik is an Indian and he does not represent the Muslims of the world or of India.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I think India was ready for full support .

I would like to post General Pervez Musharraf's speech (after 9/11 ) addressing to people of Pakistan . I watched this on Indian TV after 9/11 . ( just few part of the speech here ....... )

"Let's Look at Our Neighbors: They [e.g. India] Have Promised the U.S. All Cooperation; They Want to Isolate Us, Get Us Declared a Terrorist State"

"We in Pakistan are facing a very critical situation perhaps as critical as the events in 1971. If we make the wrong decisions, our vital interests will be harmed.

"I have discussed all this with my corps commanders, politicians and prominent Pakistanis. Tomorrow I am meeting the tribal chiefs. I have to say that opinions are divided, but the vast majority supports us. I would say that about 15% are tending towards emotional reactions.

"Let's look at our neighbors. They [e.g. India] have promised the U.S. all cooperation. They want to isolate us, get us declared a terrorist state.

"They have met in Dushanbe with some other countries and plan to try and install [an] anti-Pakistani government in Afghanistan. So our neighbor is busy trying to harm us. If you see their television, they are busy with propaganda against us.

"I want to tell them to 'lay off.' Our forces are on full alert and ready for a do-or-die mission. In this situation, if we make the wrong decisions, it can be very bad for us. Our critical concerns are our sovereignty, second our economy, third our strategic assets (nuclear and missiles), and fourth our Kashmir cause. All four will be harmed if we make the wrong decision. When we make these decisions they must be according to Islam."

http://http://nmen.org/in-historic-post-911-speech-gen-musharraf-defends-collaboration-with-u-s-against-taliban-saying-hes-following-example-of-prophet-muhammad-when-the-jews-saw-islam-becoming-stronger-they-conspi/
you want to believe a pakistani selling a lie to his people trying to justify his acts by telling all sorts of stories and that too someone who has been over the years proven as a compulsive liar?

believe a pakistani on matters of interest to india only at your own risk!

the same joker goes on to claim many things about india's involvement is baluchistan, but his army and isi have been able to prove jack about it. leave musharraf's rants to himself.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
The way India could reach is through Chahbahar in Iran.

While Iran was not favourable to the US, it is debatable if Iran would be against Indian presence in Afghanistan because that would ensure that the interest of the 'Northern Alliance' of which Iran was a stakeholder would be 'protected'. Also the Indian presence would tone down the US presence and any anti Iran activity by the US from Afghanistan.

Iran was and is inimical to Pakistan because Pakistan sponsors the Jandullah Sunni terrorist of Baloch origin who raid and create problems for Iran in the Baloch areas of Iran. Iran is very sensitive to the fear that the Balochis of Iran and Pakistan would unite and the Sunni area of Iran Balochis would become a part of Pakistan.

India must have baulked at the thought that giving US berthing and victualling facilities for its Navy and also airfield facilities for the USAF would have given the Opposition a handle that India had been sold to the US and had become a surrogate. Further, there could have been the worry that this would be the stepping stone to the US drawing India into its defence pacts and thereby controlling Indian foreign policy.

The above would be true if the report is true.
Sir, I have considered four options for India to reach Afghanistan

1. Through Iran: Even if Iran accept an Indian Intervention through Iran's territory India will not be able to make much difference acting independently without direct assistance from the US, on the other hand this was an US led WoT and a collaborative strike upon Taliban makes US-India and Iran on the same side which Iran might have opposed.

2. Through the Northern corridor: possibilities were minimum, logistic and reinforcement nightmares and multiple political complicity, for that India will require arm pass agreement with multiple nations to reach Afghanistan, not the best idea and not even feasible for India to mobilise large troops from such a long route.

3. Through Pakistan by US compelling GoP for a safe passage, again not a good idea, political uncertainty will effect the war, A last option for GoP to save their face other option might be a Pakistani involvement into the WoT instead of given India an advantage and thus it is going on.

4. Through Durran Line: I believe it would be in the interest of GoI, even American troops and equipment are known to reached India for historical war efforts, a few things that might stop from such a possibilities are : inability from the government part to take such bold decision for political aspirations but on the other hand why the US would want to leverage India when the same can be done with the help of Pakistan instead of India? Such a decision would yield little strategic advantage for the US.

The factor of US using Indian military facilitates and installation were on high debate at that time, but I believe India don't have such a policy and would not allow foreign troops to operate independently in Indian soil unless special case, an India movement of troops to and through durran line was an offer India would have hardly rejected IMO, but such a step will offer little strategic interest for the US in international politics.

Maybe it was a news regarding US and NATO forces using Indian facilities but Indian direct military involvement is something I have doubt upon the credibility of the news. Their was no way India could have reached Afghanistan to make an influence in the war effort, as the report says 'Indian ground troops in Afghanistan'

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Good decision by BJP to not get involved in this clusterfuck.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
america never helped us in our 1 decade long war on insurgency funded by its closed aid pakistan.why should we?giving access to navy bases in goa and mumbai or iaf bases would have meant total compromise on our national security.indian soldiers in afghanistan would have meant getting our soldiers killed which would be unacceptable since it was neighter a war on india or a un mission.but if afghanistan would have been a direct neighbour of india then we could have allowed transit facilities like russia.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles