POPE urges to show courage by chinese christians in his message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahul92

Pope Benedict XVI has expressed his hope for an end to conflicts around the world, in his traditional Christmas Day message from the Vatican.

In his address from St Peter's Basilica, he called on Israelis and Palestinians to co-exist in peace.

Pope Benedict called for Israelis and Palestinians "to strive for a just and peaceful co-existence"

He urged China's Christians to remain hopeful in spite of limitations, and prayed for those hit by natural disasters in Latin America.

He also appealed for peace in Somalia, Darfur and Ivory Coast.

An estimated 100,000 people had gathered in the square outside St Peter's - wet from rain - to hear the Urbi et Orbi - meaning to the city (Rome) and to the world -sermon.

"May the light of Christmas shine forth anew in the Land where Jesus was born, and inspire Israelis and Palestinians to strive for a just and peaceful co-existence," Benedict told the crowd.

He urged Roman Catholics in China to face with courage the limits on their freedom.

He also called for political leaders to show solidarity with Christians throughout the Middle East, saying that those living in Iraq faced persecution.

"May the comforting message of the coming of Emmanuel ease the pain and bring consolation amid their trials to the beloved Christian communities in Iraq and throughout the Middle East," he said.

The Pope called for "lasting peace and authentic progress" for Somalia, Darfur and Ivory Coast as well as political and social stability in Madagascar.

He also urged greater respect for human rights in Afghanistan and Pakistan and called for reconciliation between North and South Korea.

The Pope offered consolation to those in Haiti suffering in the aftermath of January's earthquake and the recent cholera epidemic.

He also mentioned the victims of natural disasters in Colombia, Venezuela, Guatemala and Costa Rica.

In keeping with tradition, the Pope then delivered Christmas greetings in 65 languages.

After the sermon, Benedict was to host a Christmas lunch in the Vatican's audience hall for 350 homeless people.

Earlier, there was tight security at Mass on Christmas Eve, as the Pope walked in procession up the central nave of the basilica, followed by plain-clothed security men.

The 83-year-old pontiff stopped twice to bless babies held up by worshippers among the 10,000-strong crowd.

The Vatican had reviewed its security procedures after a woman lunged at him at the previous year's event, causing him to stumble.

Security fears have also been heightened by parcel bomb attacks on Thursday at two embassies in Rome which injured two people.

Analysis
Pope Benedict said the Christmas message of peace and hope was always new, surprising and daring. It should spur everyone towards a peaceful struggle for justice.

He dived straight into a list of the world's main trouble spots, singling out the plight of persecuted Christians in the Middle East and China. In the Middle East, the Vatican fears further attacks like the one on a Catholic cathedral in Baghdad in October that killed 52 people.

In China, Communist authorities have been forcing Catholic Bishops to attend events organised by the state-backed "patriotic church" which does not recognise the Pope's authority.

Relations between the Vatican and China - they broke formal diplomatic ties half a century ago - have recently reached their lowest point in years.

Pope Benedict's message this Christmas is a good illustration of how the formerly Eurocentric Church is focussing increasingly on the problems of the global South.

By David Willey, BBC News, Rome

Main source & video link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12078561

Rahul92

Every one know about Chinese brutal way of crushing christians

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Pot calling the kettle black? I think the Pope should understand what his own deputed "missions" are doing around the world in the guise of pretending to be victim before meddling in others' affairs. If he expects fair treatment, he should also make sure that his own so-called "missions" are not meddling in other countries' affairs.

bhogta

I don't want to be rude, but honestly Pope is like a CEO of big company. Vatican look like a company with target to make as many Christians as they can. Because of this reason only i don't like him. Let people decide about themselves. What good happen to Africa by making them Christians? One should ask this thing to him. First serve them will then focus on someplace else. I think they only want to increase the number nothing else.

Oracle

Pot calling the kettle black? I think the Pope should understand what his own deputed "missions" are doing around the world in the guise of pretending to be victim before meddling in others' affairs. If he expects fair treatment, he should also make sure that his own so-called "missions" are not meddling in other countries' affairs.
Did he say anything wrong? POPE asked for peace to prevail and freedom. There are always bad apples. For the wrong of one, let us not judge en masse. Christians are one of the most tolerant people. Also POPE is revered by millions of people worldwide - including many in India, it is not wise to hurt feelings of people who doesn't share your/our religion. Just my POV.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Religion in China

The People's Republic of China was established October 1, 1949. Its government is officially atheist, having viewed religion as emblematic of feudalism and foreign colonialism. Religious belief or practice was banned because it was regarded as backward and superstitious by some of the communist leaders, from Vladimir Lenin to Mao Zedong, who had been critical of religious institutions.[29] Houses of worship, including pagodas, temples, mosques, and churches, were converted into non-religious buildings for secular use during its early years. The Cultural Revolution led to a policy of elimination of religions; a massive number of places of worship were destroyed.

China appoints Bishops and others and does not allow the Vatican a say. Around the world, where religion is free, the Vatican appoints its clergy.

Here is a newsreport:

Ties between China and the Vatican already were strained because of a dispute over the Nov. 20 ordination of the Rev. Joseph Guo Jincai as a bishop without papal approval. The Vatican says only it has the right to name bishops, and the question of their appointment has been the main stumbling block in resuming relations with the government in Beijing.
Chinese Govt is the Vatican!!!
Many Uyghurs face religious persecution and discrimination at the hands of the government authorities. Uyghurs who choose to practice their faith can only use a state-approved version of the Koran; men who work in the state sector cannot wear beards and women cannot wear headscarves.The Chinese state controls the management of all mosques, which many Uyghurs claim stifles religious traditions that have formed a crucial part of the Uyghur identity for centuries. Children under the age of 18 are not allowed to attend religious services at mosques.

ashicjose

sorry if it hurt you tshering,its christians duty to spread his(christ) teachings peacefully.you can take it or leave it, its up to you ,but christians never force you dear.and please dont misunderstand it as putting finger in others affairs.

bhogta

sorry if it hurt you tshering,its christians duty to spread his(christ) teachings peacefully.you can take it or leave it, its up to you ,but christians never force you dear.and please dont misunderstand it as putting finger in others affairs.
Teaching is a good thing no doubt on that. But making fun on other believe and try to prove your point good is a wrong thing. If some one think is teaching is so good then why only poor people they focus.

Oracle

/\/\/\ The history of missionaries in India is an old one. This is not the thread to discuss that. Please stay on topic or else this thread will turn out to be one more religion bashing thread. Mods need to watch this thread closely.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This thread is not about missionaries but the Pope's message esp with the one referencing China and persecution there. How is that related with the missionaries work? Any deviation and this thread is history.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Did he say anything wrong? POPE asked for peace to prevail and freedom. There are always bad apples. For the wrong of one, let us not judge en masse. Christians are one of the most tolerant people. Also POPE is revered by millions of people worldwide - including many in India, it is not wise to hurt feelings of people who doesn't share your/our religion. Just my POV.
Oh yeah? You're so concerned about hurting someone's feelings eh? How about you take a look at what and where all WE are getting KILLED.. forget getting hurt.

Oracle

Oh yeah? You're so concerned about hurting someone's feelings eh?
Where are you getting at? I was talking about religious feelings, the freedom of which our Constitution provides. Why should we hurt someone else's religion just to prove a point, and deflect from the original topic. Are there no better ways to put forward your argument?

How about you take a look at what and where all WE are getting KILLED.. forget getting hurt.
I know. But terrorists doesn't kill people based on their faith. It's fringe elements within them who resort to such tactics.

You were born & raised in Delhi, I was born and raised in NE. So, let me tell you this just this once - I know more about things happening in the NE than you or most in this forum. To the point that I have witnessed one of my close & educated Naga friend being offered a role in NSCM, one Saturday afternoon. I have also seen people near and dear getting killed by terrorists.

And yes, next time you don't like my post, debate it instead of hitting on the fucking Thumbs Down.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Where are you getting at? I was talking about religious feelings, the freedom of which our Constitution provides. Why should we hurt someone else's religion just to prove a point, and deflect from the original topic. Are there no better ways to put forward your argument?

I know. But terrorists doesn't kill people based on their faith. It's fringe elements within them who resort to such tactics.

You were born & raised in Delhi, I was born and raised in NE. So, let me tell you this just this once - I know more about things happening in the NE than you or most in this forum. To the point that I have witnessed one of my close & educated Naga friend being offered a role in NSCM, one Saturday afternoon. I have also seen people near and dear getting killed by terrorists.

And yes, next time you don't like my post, debate it instead of hitting on the fucking Thumbs Down.
Being born and brought up in Delhi doesn't mean that I am alien to this place. I have lots of relatives in the region and hence know what I am talking about. Here is an example:

http://tootiefairy.sulekha.com/blog/post/2010/06/arunachal-pradesh-christian-terrorists-threaten-buddhists.htm

And just because your friend was good person enough to turn down roles doesn't mean that this problem doesn't exist and we Buddhists are maximum to suffer apart form mainstream Hindus from this. You see, we generally don't find it amusing to criticize other religions and ask other to convert to Buddhism in general basis and complain only because of the existence of a problem in genuine and not some stupid immature fanatic imagination. First these lovely missionaries come with pamphlets of bullshit about our faith concepts even though we never insult their faith. "Demons, idolators, worshippers of Satan" is the typical terms used by these lot. And when that fails, groups of people are repeatedly sent to households to coax conversion. When that fails too goons and militants are hired to do the job.

Oh and BTW you're not the only smart aleck to use smarmy words around here. So next time you want to turn apologetic and hide away from calling a problem a problem as it is, don't bother attempting to debate with your limited knowledge. Got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles