Politics plays: Cracks visible in Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline

BangersAndMash

ISLAMABAD: The emerging geopolitical situation following tensions between Saudi Arabia and Iran over the Syrian conflict and other Gulf issues has swallowed the most feasible gas import project – Iran-Pakistan (IP) gas pipeline.

A Muslim brotherly country – said to be Saudi Arabia – recently gave $1.5 billion as a gift to Pakistan, catching everybody off guard with many questioning why a country that refused one-year credit facility for oil imports, doled out more than a billion dollars without getting any assurances.
As if persistent US pressure on Pakistan to abandon the IP pipeline was not enough, the gift looked like a final nail in the coffin of IP pipeline, officials say. According to media reports, though vehemently denied by the government, the Saudi grant was aimed at persuading Pakistan to sell weapons to Riyadh that would eventually be sent to the rebel groups fighting the Bashar al-Assad government in Syria.

The Syrian conflict has also triggered a rift between Saudi Arabia and Qatar who are said to be supporting different groups. This disagreement between the two Gulf Arab states also appears to be taking its toll on a project for liquefied natural gas (LNG) purchase from Doha.
Pakistan is planning to bring first LNG supplies from Qatar this year and is going to award a terminal services contract to the successful bidder. Qatar had asked Pakistan to have a terminal in place before striking any LNG deal.
Read more...Politics plays: Cracks visible in Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline – The Express Tribune

shankyz

Country flag
This is what happens when you put religion ahead of economy, short term gain ahead of long term loss , other's geo-political nterests ahead of your own national interests ....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

EXPERT

I am following this case from since last 4 years, and everybody was confident that Pakistan will not be able to fulfill the agreement .

Now according to the contract if
Pakistan does not fulfill its
obligation to complete the pipeline
on its side by the end of 2014, it
will have to pay a daily penalty of
$1 million to Iran until completion. And how it will pay GOD knows ...

suny6611

Country flag
I am following this case from since last 4 years, and everybody was confident that Pakistan will not be able to fulfill the agreement .

on its side by the end of 2014, it

y god .........................saudis will pay........... they have enough to :toilet:

Blackwater

on its side by the end of 2014, i
t
how will pakis pay??

jeb to khali ha

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles