Political Representation of People of India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Himanshu Pandey, May 15, 2012.

1. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Regular Member

We the people of Republic of India always feel proud on our democratic setup. Definitely we should feel proud on representative democracy of republic with excellent record but at the time of celebrating 60 years of our parliament I like to stop and see are we completely democratic.
    15 general elections, dozens of assembly election and hundreds of municipality elections are held in Republic every 5 years or less but still we are facing thousands of problems. Still a lot of people are unsatisfied and felt unrepresented in this biggest festival of Democracy. I was feeling happy and proud at the eve of 13th may 2012 for completion of 60 years of temple of democracy then small news from a news paper get my attention. News about the representative system of government, so I start collecting information about the elections in India. To give you a clear picture about what I am trying to discuss I am sharing the data of last general election and UP assembly elections.
    Indian general election, 2009 (vote cast 59.7%)

Alliance Total Casted representation of Seat won Seat(%)
    Name votes (%) adult population

UPA 37.22 22.22 262 48.25
    NDA 24.63 14.70 159 29.28
    Third front 21.15 12.63 79 14.54
    Forth Front 5.14 3.07 27 4.97
    Others 6.51 3.88 16 2.95

Uttar Pradesh State Assembly Elections 2012 Vote Tally( 62.04% Voting)

Alliance Total Casted representation of Seat won Seat(%)
    Name votes (%) adult population
    SP 29% 18% 224 55.58
    BSP 26% 16.13% 80 19.85
    OTH 16% 9.92% 15 3.72
    BJP 15% 9.31% 47 11.66
    CONG+ 14% 8.68% 37 9.18

This data give us a clear picture of how much support a party needed to come into power either in union or state government, even a lot of vote of every party is shared between its defeated candidates so the exact need of winning votes will be very less then what every party gets in election. The irony of the situation is the representative government of republic is never having a support of majority of people not even majority share in casted votes. A minority government is representing the majority of populace. Is it a democracy?
    We see the stupid or irresponsible comments from various politicians and sometimes we get a kick in back by them, they claim to represent various communities, states or different ethnic people and because of the irresponsible comment by these politicians a lot of people create a negative image of a particular group of people. Why politicians do it?
    And if we look about those people who are not voting and don’t have any real representation in assembly are the biggest share of voters who are saying that they don’t approve the standing candidates. If the majority decides in democracy and majority of voters are not casting their votes just because of lack of option why we are not doing anything to provide them representation. Even the parties having sufficient voters base is gaining less seats or no seats because of a concentrated voter bank in a constituency. How is it a democracy in real terms if my vote doesn’t count and as the statics shows parties don’t need my vote and if I do vote for change it is a waste if not for a main political party.
    I saw a few problems in our current election system:-
    • It is not representing the will of people in exact way.
    • The majority of voters are not participating in elections because they felt unrepresentative
    • Current election system is more for being in power or king maker rather than caring for people.
    May be you people ask me why I am counting the negative points of election system and questioning the great Indian democracy. For this I have just one answer if people of Kashmir, and Naxalite areas will have been able to choose the people who want to do work for them rather than some person from a political party may be these problems have been solved a long time ago. Yes there are elected people from those areas but not elected by the majority so they don’t represent the majority and in harsh word don’t care for majority. The Elections are the biggest festival and biggest exam of a democratic country and if we are playing by cheatable rules how can we claim to be a democracy.

We need a new way of election and to ensure the representation of people in assembly need to define the rules by which a person who represent majority will be elected or a party get exact share in assembly as per its voter share. By this representative election only we can concentrate on the real issues of people of India. Europeans and American democracies are practicing this process and the success of these countries and the high HDI is proof of the success of this system. Our 60 year old system helped us a lot and it created a strong base for the acceptance of democracy in India. Now lets take this one step further, lets ensure that every citizen is represented and only work and idea for betterment of country matters in politics not you caste, religion or hate. There is one more benefit of representative system we will get rid of corrupt and criminals from our politics as only voters matter in this system not the leaders or electable. So presently the parties who are hesitating to clean the politics to lose the seats in parliament or assembly will be able to clan it.
    I want to celebrate the next milestone of Indian democracy as 100% representation to people and by seeing a clean politics which is not a rosy dream if only we want to fulfill it.
    Long live India. Long Live Democracy

3. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

I do not know if there exists a better way to elect representatives. If it were possible, probably people would have put it forward. But one needs to remember that there is nothing sacrosanct about super-majority. If there are two parties- one with 51% vote and another with 49%, that does not give majority any reason to trample down the minority or force through what it deems right. Also, given that there are no single dimensional issues, I see no way of representing or knowing the will of people.

As far as voting is concerned, there is no reason for any one to vote. The probability of you or me being a pivotal voter and affecting the election outcome is as low as that of a neutron radiating out of an atom. There is no way for a social outcome function to represent views of people. For more details: Arrow's impossibility theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For your last issue, the whole reason to support democracy is not because it will care for people in some way. People are best left at caring about themselves. But the reason democracy looks appealing is because it leads to diversification of power and prevents the uprising of dictatorships, which in most cases lead to worse outcomes.

4. Himanshu Pandey

my point is not about democracy is bad my point is that everybody should get a representation. if their is a party with half a million voters but all are in different constituency and not in winning nos. then they are not going to be represented. and today the political situation in India is that if 1 in 5 is supporting you in election you and they are concentrated in some constituencies you are in power and our political leaders know that they have to fool only 20-25% population to remain in power so every time they chose new person to fool and others are not represented as a MLA only cares for its voters not for the persons who voted somebody else and this is not for what people support democracy

5. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

So you think that representatives should be chosen based on the percentage of votes they have polled rather than delimiting the constituencies. But then parties will nominate whosoever they wish as their nominee(I do not see any other way it could work). Again people will raise hue and cry about this kind of system. We already have oligarchies running the present system, it would be worse if we choose the alternative.

The only reason I support this system is due to the checks and balances. We need our basic rights to be protected and if the system helps in ensuring that, we should be fine with it. If people get fooled by an MLA or a party its their problem and not of the MLA. People fool each other all the time, the only way to not get fooled is to be proactive on your end. No democracy or representation can ever achieve that. Even referendums(the most representative form) cannot solve this problem.

6. Himanshu Pandey

true you are but we need to find out a way because present way is not working and you need to see the persons we are choosing here and the reason to choose them only then yu will better understand why I am suggesting this... the main problem is unrepresentative to majority and corrupt an criminals getting selected on party tickets as parties don't leave them because of their fear of losing a seat

7. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Things move slowly in a democracy. People are putting pressure on the parties and I am sure we will soon have a law which will ban criminals from contesting or moving their cases to fast track courts.
    It is a classic tragedy of the commons problem, where no one can afford to take a first move. What we need is a joint commitment of all parties to weed out criminals otherwise the problem would stand as it is. Given that there are high decibel debates all around on this issue now, trust me sooner or later it is going to happen. Also, with economic progress more people will like to participate in the elections which would eventually solve some of the problems.

8. Himanshu Pandey

you are a firm believer of good but my friend nobody cut his own hand for this we need a doctor or executioner and things moves slowly in democracy is a excuse which leaders practice to save their interest and fool people why we need all parties to agree to stop criminals and corrupt in participating in election the ruling party can do this by changing the law but everybody talks about all party agreement to do this... this is excuse to do nothing as some will always oppose it.... everybody can't agree on something. for this we make government to do the necessary without hesitation, but until criminal is sitting both side and all are talking about agreement of all nothing is going to happen in centuries..

we all know there are bad people in politics and to removing them all government need is will and democracy is not against it.