Political Reforms

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by The Messiah, Feb 11, 2012.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Now we all know politicians promise all sorts of things during campaigning but are never fulfilled after elections are over.

Apart from right to reject and recall i think another law that should be made is that parties and candidates officially declare a manifesto on what they will do if they win and if they dont fulfill there promises then they will be banned from standing in elections for 15 years and jailed for deceiving the electorate.

This way politicians will not make outlandish promises and the few resonable promises they make they will complete because it is in there interest not to get banned for 15 years and rot in jail.

3. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

This is a good idea, I feel.

In my personal opinion, jailing is too harsh - they can certainly be barred from contesting elections. Maybe not for life, just for the next election. I think it is good not to have excessively draconian punishments.

The only thing is, the "promises" should be tangible, measurable, verifiable and precise. It cannot be crap like "I will take steps to improve road connectivity in the district".

For something like this to be implemented, I think what needs to be done is: every candidate must put up at least three "tangible, measurable and verifiable promises" on the EC web site. For example, something like: "at least 400 kilometers of new road in the district. Single lane/double lane - lighted/non-lighted, built to specifications of Indian road congress. P.S. The definition of "New road" also includes conversion of kuccha roads into permanent tarred roads. Quality of roads guaranteed to the following standards:.... etc. etc. etc. etc."

Having three such "measurable promises" should be mandatory while contesting elections. These "promises" should be submitted to the EC and should be an open disclosure on the EC website, and may be published in newspapers or broadcasted appropriately.

4. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

Who is to ensure that they will be banned, and they promise what they do ?

5. The Messiah

Jail sentence should be there for a 6 months to a year...deceiving electorate is not small offence.

Tangible promises are a must and there should be no caste/religious cards being played. Infact all candidates from a particular constituency should have a debate few days before election on there manifesto and convince people why there development promises are better.

SPIEZ likes this.
  6. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

My ideal reform starts with system itself by making us a two party system like US. No vote bank politics allowed.

under the present scenario I think capping anyone to a two term as an MLA/MP and also a minister will help.

7. SPIEZ

How about letting the courts decide on reservations, as a first :namaste:

8. Bangalorean

Election commission. Refer to my previous post.

The trick is to get the "promises" tangible and measurable enough to enforce action in case of non-compliance. The EC needs to certify that the "promises" are unambiguous enough to be measured later. The biggest issue with getting this idea to work is how well this step is performed.

9. Bangalorean

Cap the term, but no two party system for India. Not going to work, not suited for a nation with India's diversity and variation.

pmaitra likes this.
  10. The Messiah

Two party system is not good.

As it is in usa people are frustrated that major policies remain same whether democrats win or republicans win. The lobbies fund both sides so they get what they want and are not affected by who wins.

11. SPIEZ

EC :rofl:
    For eg: the last elections in TN was considered to be free and fair. Before that, what do you think they were doing ? There were so many cases of atrocities, the election before that saw bloodshed on the roads in front of the public.
    And now take the example of Salman Khurshid, lets see if they are capable of doing anything.

12. Yusuf

The entire nation is free to chose its parties one way or the other. Regional parties have given rise to even more trouble at the national stage. People should directly elect the Chief of the country we cannot have Develop Gowdas and Gujarals etc who become PM by chance because of regional parties. Offcourse each region will have its people in one of the parties.

13. Bangalorean

Arun Shourie suggests in one of his books, that we have an elected president like in the US, and at the same time, also have the present parliament. Instead of two "houses", have just one "house" of parliament. Then he provides a little detail on how to distribute power between these two entities (president and parliament).

I think this is workable. But we cannot do away with regional parties. I think they are indispensable. :tsk:

14. The Messiah

Wont work. Have you seen how in usa the republicans in congress block everything that obama tries to do ?

Imagine if president wins from congress and bjp gets more mp's in parliament or vise versa.

15. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Perhaps empower the President to veto any bill passed by the Parliament with less than, say 60% of the quorum of the House?

I have also been thinking of reducing the number of MPs, and having one person represent two or three districts, instead of constituencies. Let the number of votes each MP gets be the weight of his vote in the Parliament. Something like weighted sum, when it comes to passing bills. Let the clique of districts decide how they want to elect this MP, either by one phase voting or by voting followed by runoffs. All this should be funded by local coffers. India definitely could use some devolution of powers.

Bangalorean likes this.
  16. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

> State funding of election expenses with candidates given free air time on DD to propagate their party and personal views and interact with voters. Lot of corruption is done by parties to fill their war chests for poll expenses.

> No candidate can be considered winning without getting 50% or more of the vote. This will stop `katua ummidwars` from contesting whose are tactically fielded to only divide the vote of opponents. Because of our first past the post system, winning candidate is often elected with 30% or less of vote many times i.e. he/she is actually rejected by majority!

> Candidates should not be allowed to contest from more than one seat. When candidate wins from both constituencies and relinquishes one seat re-election has to be held with all the expenses.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    The Messiah likes this.
  17. The Messiah

North Indians will have more power than south then.

I think we should not over complicate matters...our system needs fine tuning. The system isn't even the problem its the people in the system that are the problem.

Param likes this.
  18. Bangalorean

Well, perhaps there can be a good division of responsibilities/power. And simply blocking everything should not be permissible - there should be some checks and balances. I think it can be worked out, but the devil lies in the details. :(

19. The Messiah

Thats why i said they should have debate few days before election.

I think the vast amount of money that is spent in elections drives away any honest person from even standing because he cant compete. There should be some stand where all get equal air time.

20. Yusuf

It's a good checks and balances system. No one becomes all too powerful. Best of, no remote control.

21. Yusuf

Make sure lawmakers are not "ministers". That will kill the incentive or many to join politics. All departments to be run by babus with parliament oversight.