Political khichdi: Jaitley, Azad, Kejriwal, Jethmalani and cricket

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Sakal Gharelu Ustad, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Guys, what is going on? Pretty confusing scenario unfolding: http://www.firstpost.com/politics/d...-and-shah-are-losing-grip-on-bjp-2554508.html

##########################################
    Noted criminal lawyer Ram Jethmalani will represent Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal in the civil and criminal defamation suits filed against him by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. Jaitley filed both civil and criminal defamation cases against Kejriwal and five AAP leaders for allegedly defaming him and sought Rs 10 crore in damages. Kejriwal is not the only one hitting out at Jaitley. Kirti Azad has unrolled a laundry list of 52 questions for the Finance Minister at a well attended press conference. The latest on this fight that's not going to die soon:

- 14 companies paid by DDCA for renovation works at Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium do not exist in the addresses mentioned in the bills.

- Azad poses 52 questions to Jaitley without naming him, on his role in DDCA and his family’s “involvement” in Hockey India.

- “Arun Jaitley conveniently avoided answering more than 200 letters and 500 messages about wrongdoing and swindling of DDCA money through his 14 years as president.”

- BJP spokesman Shrikant Sharma: “These are fake and foolish allegations.”

- “Is it true that your daughter and son-in-law are active members in Hockey India? How much money has been paid to them over the last five years for retainership in Hockey India, for consultancy and for being several committees of Hockey India?”

Its not legal, it's political

Kirti Azad’s continued diatribe against Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and refusal to abide by the directive of the party leadership has exposed the existing faultiness within the BJP. That too at a time when Prime Minister Narendra Modi and party president Amit Shah are in complete command of the government and the organisational structure.

There is little doubt that in times to come the DDCA issue will see many twists and turns, legal, administrative and political but what should worry Modi and Shah in particular is Azad’s abject defiance of the party’s diktat. Jaitley may be competent to defend himself as he did it on Monday — first in both Houses of Parliament and later by filing civil and criminal defamation against Arvind Kejriwal, Sanjay Singh, Raghav Chadha, Ashutosh and Deepak Bajpayee. The concern for the party is Azad’s challenge to Jaitley has the potential to snowball into a major internal crisis. This issue after all, is more political than legal.

[​IMG]
    BJP parliamentarian Kirti Azad. PTI

The problem is even more acute because unlike in the past, such dissenting voices, almost raising a banner of revolt as pronounced by Azad’s bitter tweets, press conferences, series of sound bites and challenge to his own leader in Lok Sabha is not rooted in challenges or counter challenges on ideological moorings or factional fights. This is largely a personality centric conflict aimed against a person who is part of the “ruling triumvirate”, someone considered closest to both the prime minister and party president.

Where does Azad draw his strength from to take on someone as high and mighty as Jaitley in the organisational and governmental set up? That’s the big question, people are asking within and outside of the BJP. Shah had spoken to Azad asking him not to go ahead with his press conference on DDCA issue. Party general secretary (organization) and a RSS nominee in BJP Ramlal had spoken to him but he remained defiant. Shah is generally known for his tough talks with party leaders when he thinks that the leader concerned is speaking out of turn, crossing party lines or acting in a manner that could be detrimental to the party and government’s interests and image. But in this case it is not known as to how exactly it transpired in the meeting between Shah and Azad. However, the way events have followed, it looks as though party leadership tried to work out a deal rather than rebuke Azad.

Azad is constantly maintaining that his fight is against corruption and not against an individual but his arguments in Lok Sabha on Monday with Jaitley and his tweets — “hello dear @arunjaitley hampar defemation file kar rahe ho na? Please karo na Don't take injunction, don't gag freedom of speech”... Mera naam kyon hata diya @arunjaitley #Aap ne toh mere letters dikhae theey, mujhpar karo na case, registered post se maine bheje theey” — indicate that his fight is against his own leader. A fight he has been openly and rather blatantly waging against Jaitley for close to a decade.

Jaitley earlier said that Azad (without naming him) had met Congress president Sonia Gandhi, a meeting which resulted in UPA government referring the DDCA matter to Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO). Azad’s letters form the basis of Aam Aadmi Party’s vitriolic attack against Jaitley. Some party leaders talk about “Azad being used by Congress and AAP to raise the muck” against Jaitley but they don’t explain why the leadership has failed to take action against him.

It’s known that Kirti Azad is son of Bhagwat Jha Azad, former Bihar chief minister from Congress, but the former cricketer’s political career has flourished in BJP — from Delhi MLA to being two time MP from Darbhanga in Bihar. He was given ticket by the party in the parliamentary elections of 2009 and 2014 despite Jaitley's reservations. His wife Poonam Azad, however, was denied a ticket for the Delhi assembly elections.

Since 2009-14 when Jaitley was Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha, Azad was perceived to be close to Sushma Swaraj, the then Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha. Since 2014 Parliamentary elections results, Sushma has generally been keeping quiet and a low political profile, keeping herself focused on her work and away from internal dynamics of the party. There is a general thinking in the party that she couldn’t be backing Azad in the ongoing slugfest, the perceived proximity with her is also being talked in some quarters.

Unlike in Rajnath Singh's case, or Sushma Swaraj’s case, or Vasundhara Raje's case or as in Shivraj Singh Chauhan’s case, party president Shah has not come forward, at least publicly to stand by Jaitley’s innocence. It is likely that Union ministers like Venkaiah Naidu, Smriti Irani, Rajvardhan Rathor and others could have gone to the court when Jaitley filed the defamation suit against AAP leaders without clear understanding of Modi and Shah’s views on the issue. Absence of a public statement from the PM or Shah in Jaitley’s support has given rise to varied speculations.

Ahead of the winter session of Parliament, the BJP had lately succeeded in taming its hotheads. Kirti’s rebellion against Jaitley is different from the dissenting voices raised by the likes of RK Singh and Shatrughan Sinha. Incidentally all three are from Bihar.

RK Singh and Shatrughan Sinha have maintained a thin line between dissent and revolt but Azad has gone to a different tangent, damaging Jaitley, BJP and Modi government internally and externally. Going by the facts and circumstances the former cricketer doesn’t appear to be a lone warrior. That should worry the BJP leadership.

parijataka and asingh10 like this.
  3. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Summary:

1) AK makes allegation against AJ
    2) AJ files a defamation case against AK, who gets Jethmalani as his lawyer
    3) Kirti Azad also puts AJ in the corner

So, Jethmalani who was in BJP, but is vocal enemy of AJ is now befriending another enemy AK. If this was not enough, Kirti Azad is raising voice against AJ as well without any reprimand from BJP high-command.

So, is AJ left to fend for himself in this case? Is Kirti Azad used by Shah and Modi against AJ or used by Congress against AJ. It appeared to me AJ is part of the internal Lutyens lobby and hence press goes soft on him. But these recent events have put him in spotlight.

Something funny is going on in Delhi for sure.

asingh10 likes this.
  4. asingh10

asingh10 Senior Member Senior Member

Shourie, Jethmalani, Swamy all seem to have some personal equations with Jaitley. I know AJ is not a saint but perhaps Modi was right to keep these people away from the cabinet.

5. asingh10

asingh10 Senior Member Senior Member

Even Madhu Kishwar is dodgy.

[​IMG]

VIP and hit&run like this.
  6. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

I personally have no respect for Jethmalani, given the history of accused he has represented in his life. Modi had to drop dead-wood from the cabinet citing some reason and Shourie and Swamy should respect that. Otherwise we would be watching all the oldies hogging the limelight. Merging of AK with Jethmalani completes the circle at least in case of Jethmalani. Shourie seems more hurt due to denial of position, but he could have conducted himself better. Swamy on the other hand is a maverick and seems he will stick with Modi in the coming days. Also, he is a serious challenger to Gandhi family, so he is still a help for Modi.

AJ seems to be favoured by Lutyens media but my problem with him is more related to his policies and his status-quoist nature. May be living in Delhi ecosystem makes you a status-quoist.

I think the whole problem arises from lack of enough faces on the national level for BJP. I do not really see a political person capable of replacing AJ in BJP as a finance minister. May be Suresh Prabhu is a good choice, but that would be too big a responsibility for him. And then the question would remain- what to do with AJ.

7. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

Well i donot know whether you people are watching ndtv but i today briefly watch ndt hindi and in debate where ndtv abhigyan , from bjp its was sudhanshu trivedi from app it was sanjay singh and abhiigyan was full mocking jayetly that begin president of ddca he doesnot know what was happening below him how he would be managing fiancée ministry

AJ use to flock on NDTV and people use to tell he controls lyutens media :rofl::pound:
    and now NDTV is mocking him

strange are times .....

8. Keshav Murali

Keshav Murali Back to studies :( Senior Member

BTW, Kirti Azad is now claiming his twitter account was hacked.

9. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

As if it was less confusing already!!!

10. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

I followed her on twitter for few weeks then removed her from the list.

asingh10 likes this.
  11. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

He must have been couple of drinks down the way he wrote it. He was puled by Amit Shah the same day so it was certainly a hard day for him. :biggrin2:

VIP likes this.
  12. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

[​IMG]

Hyocrisy of AAP exposed..!! This is the reason

DingDong and VIP like this.
  13. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/bjp-mp-kirti-azad-suspended/article8022134.ece

BJP suspends Kirti Azad; Congress, AAP back him

As soon as the winter session of Parliament ended, the BJP on Wednesday suspended its Darbhanga MP Kirti Azad, who has been making public statements that there was “corruption” in the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) when Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was heading it.

The party issued a terse letter in the evening: “For anti-party activities, Shri Kirti Azad, MP, Darbhanga, is with immediate effect suspended from the party.”

But hours before the suspension, BJP leader Shatrughan Sinha tweeted in support of Mr. Azad and asked Mr. Jaitley to “come clean,” following the example of L.K. Advani, read by many as a hint at Mr. Advani’s resignation as MP when accused of involvement in the hawala scam.

[​IMG]

Calling Mr. Azad “hero of the day,” Mr. Sinha — who has also embarrassed the BJP leadership when the Bihar Assembly polls were on — called upon the party not to punish him, cautioning that “untimely action could boomerang.”

Join us, says Congress

The Congress was quick to react to Mr. Azad’s suspension, virtually inviting him to join the party. “He should join the Congress. His father was a Congressman. Congress blood runs through his veins,” Congress leader Shakeel Ahmad said.

############################################

Good riddance. BJP should be super careful about people with old Congress links.

14. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

Subramanian Swamy to help me draft reply: Kirti Azad

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...me-draft-reply-kirti-azad-115122400121_1.html

"I confirm this that I will assist Kirti Azad on the draft notice from party. I know him since when he was a boy, I was a good friend of his father. Further I will say he is still member of BJP. I have every right to assist him. I don't think party should lose such a honest person like him," swamy told ANI.

@Sakal Gharelu Ustad : Here's some more confusion for you. (and me)

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.
  15. Agnostic_Indian

Agnostic_Indian Regular Member

I like arun jaitly and i don't like swamy,( i infact prefered jaitly for PM post than modi) and i didn't know about this keerthi azad until this controversy. It will be unfortunate if jaitly is corrupt but if he is then he should be punished.

16. Kshatriya87

Even I did not know Azad. I think he was ex-congress. Not sure though. And yes, Jaitley, from BJP or not if found guilty should be punished. And if not guilty, kejriwal should be punished.

17. Agnostic_Indian

I disagree with the kejriwal should be punished part.( that means kirti azad too, or anybody who accuse sombody of corruption and fails to prove it). AK just made an alligation basex on info available through kriti azad and others sources..that's all he did..isnt it.

18. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

AK is not a road side vendor who can shoot and run after putting allegations. He has hardly taken any case to its conclusion. Jaitley has rightly filed defamation case against him and AK will buckle again like he did when the case was filed by Gadkari.

19. Kshatriya87

Okay, that's your opinion. But what kejri does is, call a press conference and starts blabbering. If he is so confident, he should register a formal complaint like swamy does. And wait for the authorities to take action. Follow up maybe.

We should look at the implications of his accusations too. If not true, it cause a deep image hurting of the minister and the party. Regardless of the result coming out, now the people will always remember the "accusation" and not the "conviction".

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.
  20. Agnostic_Indian

If those who raise corruption allegation and failed to prove it is jailed then there wouldn't be any corruption allegation. Roadside traders are not the one who raise corruption allegations against ministers, leaders etc, it's done by opposition party and leaders based on primery info which is good enough.ak did just that.
    Jaitly has the right to file deformation case, it's his right, however here its just fake agression because there is more than enough material available via keerthi azad and probably through other sources to make a corruption allegation. Deformation case will has a scope only when the guy who made the allegations has no valid material or suspecious things to show to support his allegations.

21. Kshatriya87

I understand that. But that's the deal. If you want to raise corruption allegation, go through formal channels. I bet Jaitley wouldn't have filed a "maan haani" case in returned. In fact, kejri didn't stop for days with his allegations and asking for his resignation. This is what made Jaitley to file a complaint I return.

Stopping corruption is not a bad idea. Using media all the time and not doing anything formal about it is a bad idea.