PM rules out resignation, will meet Rahul, Cabinet today

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

PM rules out resignation, will meet Rahul, Cabinet today

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday ruled out resigning in the wake of Rahul Gandhi rubbishing the Cabinet decision to promulgate an ordinance protecting convicted lawmakers even as he seemed to disapprove of the manner in which the Congress vice-president vent his anger. He confirmed that the ordinance was open to review.

Asked whether Rahul's terming the ordinance as nonsensical had undermined his authority and whether he, as a consequence, was considering quitting, Singh said, "Well, there is no question of resigning."

He did seem uneasy with the timing and the manner in which Rahul crashed a media interaction to tear into the ordinance. "Well, I am not the master of what people say. It has happened and, as I said, when I go back I will try to find out the reasons why it had to be done that way and how do we handle it."

Singh said he would hold consultations with the Congress vice-president who slammed government's stand on the ordinance as "completely wrong". The meeting is set for Wednesday before the Union Cabinet gets together for a second look at the legislation. Singh dropped a strong hint of the possibility of the contentious legislation getting scrapped. "We will see which way the wind blows," he added.

Singh did emphasize that the controversial ordinance had been okayed by the Congress core group which includes Sonia Gandhi and by the Cabinet, which considered the matter twice. He said, "These are all matters which are discussed before the highest body, the core group of the Congress party. The Cabinet discussed this matter twice, not once."

Indicating the possibility of a rethink, he said, "But it is always possible to change one's mind and I will consult my colleagues on all these issues."

On the whole, he seemed to be indulgent towards Rahul, and portrayed the latter's public rebuke to the government as reflecting a mere divergence of opinion which is the essence of democracy. He, in fact, made a case for empathy to understand "what is agitating the mind of the concerned people".

However, Singh, who was talking to reporters on board his special aircraft, sought to scotch the suggestion that he was upset by Rahul's tough remarks which were seen as an affront to the government and a blow to his authority: his remarks validating the estimate of those who have maintained that the PM, with his uncanny understanding of Congress's real power dynamics, will not let notions of hierarchy and protocol affect his composure. "I have learnt to take these things in my stride," he said.

Singh's pragmatism was borne out also by another remark he made in response to a question on whether he felt diminished by Rahul's ambush on the ordinance when he was abroad and just hours before his meeting with US President Barack Obama. "I think I have been used to ups and downs and I don't get really upset," he said.

In contrast to the feverish commentaries about how he might have felt offended by Rahul's dramatic intervention and that he would be better off quitting, the PM seemed inclined to take an avuncular view of the matter, defending the Congress vice-president's democratic right to express his view point.

"Well, I think I have seen Mr Rahul Gandhi's statement. He has written to me on this subject and let me say that when issues are raised in a democracy, in a democratic polity, the right course is to start with trying to understand what is agitating the mind of the concerned people. When I go back, I will discuss these matters with Mr Rahul Gandhi. He has asked for a meeting with me and I will take my Cabinet colleagues also in confidence," he said.

Singh refused to be swayed by the suggestion that Rahul, despite being party vice-president, could not be allowed to ride roughshod over the opinion of the core group and the Cabinet, although he claimed that he would grant the right to disagree even to an ordinary Congress worker.

"I don't feel that way. I honestly feel that if there is an important point of view, any member of the Congress party, any member of my Cabinet, is free to raise issues that require reconsideration. I think that is what democracy is about. I don't think we are an authoritarian structure in which one person lays down the line all the way and therefore my humble feeling is that when a point of view has been expressed, we must sit together and understand what is agitating the mind of the person and that is what we will do," he said.

PM rules out resignation, will meet Rahul Gandhi, Cabinet today - The Times of India

Amidst all the smoke and ashes raised by the intemperate remark, and the double faced, Janus like weaselling by the Congress Party Ministers and spokespersons, and the fierce attack by non Congress Opposition, I think the PM has handled the issue very deftly and statesmanlike.

He has stated the facts as they are, without showing any animus or anger, which should have been natural, and instead he has exhibited his calm. I am sure, he feels humiliated, but for the sake of his Cabinet colleagues he has left the whole issue open.

He has been adroit. He has pushed the ball into the court of Sonia Gandhi and the Cabinet.

Let us see how the Cabinet reacts.

It is surprising that the Mother Sonia has no control over Son Rahul, who could insult his own Mother's idea and personality.

Or is it a clever orchestrated act, to show that Rahul is the Rising Star, who is decisive, clear thinking, pro reality and the ideal replacement for the Setting Sun Manmohan, who is indecisive and not in control of the Govt or governance?

ersakthivel likes this.
  3. Ray

Rahul outburst forces Cabinet rethink

With Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi describing the Manmohan Singh-led Central government’s ordinance to shield convicted legislators as “complete nonsense which should be torn up”, the stage is set for it to be withdrawn. The Union Cabinet is expected to meet on October 3 or 4 to take a final view on the issue. A majority in the Congress at this juncture feel that following Mr Gandhi’s signal, the Cabinet “will withdraw the ordinance”.

However, the fate of RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav’s fate hangs in the balance as the verdict in the fodder scam case is expected on September 30, nearly two days before the government takes an “official stand” on the ordinance. The RJD chief has reportedly spoken to UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi to express his resentment over Mr Gandhi’s stand. A seething RJD legislature party leader in the Bihar Assembly Abdul Bari Siddiqui, while attacking Mr Gandhi, had said: “The entire UPA government seems to be a pygmy before Rahul Gandhi... there seems to be no coordination between the government and the Congress.”

However, Mr Gandhi’s sudden outburst against his party and the government’s move to push through the contentious ordinance has clearly indicated the beginning of a generational shift in the party, sources said. While it is expected that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will drop hints of his next move at a possible on-board press meet during his return from the United States, a section in the Congress feels that Mr Gandhi has made it clear that the “old style of compromising following political compulsions is no longer acceptable within the party”. This section is also “confident” that the Prime Minister will “not quit” over the issue. After Mr Gandhi’s letter “praising” the Prime Minister, others in the party and the government have joined the queue to “repose faith in his (Manmohan Singh’s) leadership”. At the same time, some senior Congress ministers have begun toeing the Rahul line while others, like P. Chidambaram, Kapil Sibal and Manish Tewari, who had strongly backed the ordinance, have gone quiet for the time being. On Saturday, Veerappa Moily, Rajeev Shukla and Kamal Nath supported Mr Gandhi’s stand on the issue. Mr Moily, it was learnt, was the only one who had opposed the ordinance at the Cabinet meeting. President Pranab Mukherjee, meanwhile, is in no hurry to decide on the ordinance. He has also called for Parliament records to find out who said what on the ordinance.

Apart from the RJD, other UPA allies, including the National Conference and the NCP, seemed perturbed by Mr Gandhi denouncing the ordinance. While the NCP has questioned the “timing” of Mr Gandhi’s remarks, National Conference leader and J&K chief minister Omar Abdullah has sought a meeting of the UPA Coordination Committee to discuss the controversial ordinance threadbare. Parliamentary affairs minister Kamal Nath refused to commit on the issue. On the fate of the ordinance, Mr Nath merely said that “the Prime Minister would take a call after his return”.

As for the shifting power equations, sources said that it had already begun with the young turks gradually coming to the forefront. Some of “Rahul’s men” emerging from the shadows include Kanishk Singh, Jitin Prasada, Sachin Pilot, Milind Deora, Deepender Hooda, Ajay Maken, Sandeep Dikshit and Madhusudan Mistry.

Some of the senior leaders reportedly close to Mr Gandhi include Mr Moily and Digvijay Singh.

Rahul outburst forces Cabinet rethink | The Asian Age

4. Waffen SS

Waffen SS New Member

It was a completely made up incident. It was planned by none other than Sonia.

I think Congress actually wanted to show that their future leader is not dumb as people think, he is capable to take on Modi, so the whole thing was made up.

Congress understood they got no chance to defeat BJP if things go on like this, more ever they understood Rahul Gandhi, people consider as dumb, they needed to prove that wrong, so they made it.

Who cant understand what people think about Lalu Alu? So trying to protect them is suicidal. They also know image of Congress to public is a branch of criminals it is very hard to change, they cant get power in name of Congress in 2014, their only chance is Rahul Gandhi. They actually wanted to show Congress may be party of criminals, corrupted but Rahul Gandhi is not, you may not trust Congress but you can trust Rahul Gandhi

That's why they made it.

If posting cartoon is allowed here then I would post.

Hope public will not be fooled.

That's what I said. Exactly what Congress planned.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  5. Decklander

Decklander New Member

Now if this be the maturity level of the Yuvraj, what will he do if he bcoms our PM? he has no knowledge of coalition politics and he thinks that Congress has 2/3rd majority of its own. His father cud get away as he had 402 seats in LS in 1984 but can this stupid idiot lead India?

ersakthivel likes this.
  6. pkroyal

pkroyal Regular Member

Tragic yet comic, a nation with a population of 1.2 billion watches silently at the duplicity & chicanery of our so called political class,where loyalty changes by the hour. We expect them to uphold our constitution and defend our nation from within and without.

Rahul was asked to take a walk out of Harvard ( IQ problem), he finally did his college from some private catholic institute in USA.

the best brains rot whereas the bird brained rule the roost ??

7. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Guys, Manmohan Singh's RS tenure is till 2015 so we might have a situation in which Rahul and/or Sonia loses LS election but MMS continues - he would have had the last laugh !

Of course, Rahul or Sonia losing in 2014 is not likely as they would in all likelihood contest from 2 constituencies apart from the Nehru family fiefdoms of Amethi/Rae Bareilly perhaps some safe seat from Karnataka where Congi is on upswing.

8. DivineHeretic

DivineHeretic Senior Member Senior Member

The very fact that he actually had to come out and make a statement denying any plans for resignation is by itself a big event.

A lot more sand has shifted under the pillar of Manmohan Singh's Post than everyone would like us to believe. It may be the biggest under-reported or even non reported news this year.

9. Ray

GANDHI FAMILY & AMETHI AND RAI BAREILLY

Country’s first family, the Gandhis, shares special relationship with Amethi and Raibareilly. This love started as love at first sight. The affair started from first election in independent India, when Feroze Gandhi contested from Raibareilly. Since then, it has been first choice of the Gandhi family. So many schemes and money have been allocated for these districts that any other district might feel jealous.

Recently, the union cabinet further announced two universities for Sonia Gandhi’s constituency, Raibareilly. First will be an aviation university and second a women’s university. A total of 700 crore have been allocated for both. After March 2012 U.P. elections, mother-son duo is having second thoughts about these presumably safe seats. From both these parliamentary seats, out of total 10 assembly seats, Congress was able to win only 2. In Raibareilly, it lost all 5 seats and in 3, it could not even secure second place. This is the main reason for series of announcements in last one year. Other former announcements are Raibareilly-Lucknow 4-lane road, FM radio station and a special park for spices production.

In the Railway budget, a proposal was put forward for a new coach complex and wheel factory. It is not that such state sponsored institutions are first in these two constituencies. There is a long list of such institutions, few of them are Rajiv Gandhi Information Technology Centre, Indira Gandhi Eye Hospital & Research Centre, Rajiv Gandhi Women Development Scheme, Sanjay Gandhi Hospital, Indira Gandhi National Aviation Academy, Indira Gandhi Girls Inter College, Kamla Nehru Degree College, Feroze Gandhi Technical Institute, Rajeev Gandhi Petroleum Technical Institute, and Indira Gandhi Botanical Garden. Rahul Gandhi has also promised to start a new Hotel Management college.

It is quite clear that people are not happy with the existing process of spending. Reason is quite clear, lack of employment opportunities. The central government tried to work on this front as well. Usha group started an iron & steel plant here in 1990s, which was later closed. In 2009, before general elections, the plant was acquired by SAIL and restarted. BHEL also has two plants here. But due to electricity crisis, they are not able to work to full capacity.

When Samajwadi Party (SP) tried to distance itself from Congress, the electricity supply in the areas was disrupted. Now Gandhi family cannot do anything here, since electricity is a state subject.

If Gandhi family wants to keep their hold in these areas, they need to attract private investment. Public investments can provide jobs to some, but cannot change whole picture of the area. That would require investment from private sector. Only then people will witness change in their life style. This principle is also applicable to rest of the country.

Gandhi Family & Amethi and Raibareilly |SlugPost

10. Ray

GANDHI FAMILY & AMETHI AND RAI BAREILLY

16 July 2013

Country’s first family, the Gandhis, shares special relationship with Amethi and Raibareilly. This love started as love at first sight. The affair started from first election in independent India, when Feroze Gandhi contested from Raibareilly. Since then, it has been first choice of the Gandhi family. So many schemes and money have been allocated for these districts that any other district might feel jealous.

Recently, the union cabinet further announced two universities for Sonia Gandhi’s constituency, Raibareilly. First will be an aviation university and second a women’s university. A total of 700 crore have been allocated for both. After March 2012 U.P. elections, mother-son duo is having second thoughts about these presumably safe seats. From both these parliamentary seats, out of total 10 assembly seats, Congress was able to win only 2. In Raibareilly, it lost all 5 seats and in 3, it could not even secure second place. This is the main reason for series of announcements in last one year. Other former announcements are Raibareilly-Lucknow 4-lane road, FM radio station and a special park for spices production.

In the Railway budget, a proposal was put forward for a new coach complex and wheel factory. It is not that such state sponsored institutions are first in these two constituencies. There is a long list of such institutions, few of them are Rajiv Gandhi Information Technology Centre, Indira Gandhi Eye Hospital & Research Centre, Rajiv Gandhi Women Development Scheme, Sanjay Gandhi Hospital, Indira Gandhi National Aviation Academy, Indira Gandhi Girls Inter College, Kamla Nehru Degree College, Feroze Gandhi Technical Institute, Rajeev Gandhi Petroleum Technical Institute, and Indira Gandhi Botanical Garden. Rahul Gandhi has also promised to start a new Hotel Management college.

It is quite clear that people are not happy with the existing process of spending. Reason is quite clear, lack of employment opportunities. The central government tried to work on this front as well. Usha group started an iron & steel plant here in 1990s, which was later closed. In 2009, before general elections, the plant was acquired by SAIL and restarted. BHEL also has two plants here. But due to electricity crisis, they are not able to work to full capacity.

When Samajwadi Party (SP) tried to distance itself from Congress, the electricity supply in the areas was disrupted. Now Gandhi family cannot do anything here, since electricity is a state subject.

If Gandhi family wants to keep their hold in these areas, they need to attract private investment. Public investments can provide jobs to some, but cannot change whole picture of the area. That would require investment from private sector. Only then people will witness change in their life style. This principle is also applicable to rest of the country.

Gandhi Family & Amethi and Raibareilly |SlugPost

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  11. Ray

MMS, self-realised PM

Narayani Ganesh & Surakshit Goswami

Is Manmohan a jivanmukta or a Congress 'cultist'? He could be either, depending on which quality you impute to him.

What can you say about a prime minister who has no illusions about the country, economy, rupee, GDP, Congress party, Parliament and the ordinance protecting convicted MPs — and above all, who has no illusions about himself? Manmohan Singh could well be a jivanmukta or Self-realised one, beyond pairs of opposites like joy and sorrow, fame and ignominy, adoration and insult. However, he is criticised for his 'inaction and ineptitude' as Congress party 'cultist' and 'Man Friday' of Sonia-Rahul Gandhi.

It is clear that MMS is impervious to any kind of heckling or insult, the sign of an evolved individual, unruffled by extremes. In fact, one could go to the extent of stating that getting insulted is MMS's tapasya. Hence, a report on MMS's meeting with Nawaz Sharif in the US saying that the prime minister was "embarrassed and stunned" at the proceedings does not wash. Perhaps, the reporter meant that if he were MMS, he would have felt embarrassed and stunned — and so ended up hoisting these emotions on the PM.

What if MMS is a true yogi, fitting the description of the realised individual that sage Ashtavakra talks about at great length to king Janaka? We could easily substitute the word 'yogi' with MMS in the following verses plucked out of chapter 18 of the Ashtavakra Gita: "A yogi (MMS) is not in the least put out, even when humiliated by the ridicule of servants, sons, wife, grandchildren or other relatives (critics and Nawaz Sharif who reportedly referred to MMS as 'dehati aurat')."

But isn't it the 'dehati aurat' who elects the PM even before Mrs G has a say? The rural electorate, comprising of women in mammoth numbers, brings a particular party to power; hence, the dehati aurat is the eighth appellation. Krishna says in the Gita: "Of feminities, I am Kirti, Sri, Vak, Smriti, Medha, Dhriti and Kshama. That is, goddesses presiding over glory, prosperity, speech, memory, intelligence, fortitude and forbearance respectively."

In fact, being insulted is MMS's tapasya. The greater the insult, the more it helps in propitiating MMS's waking samadhi. In e-game language, once you are through with Gameboy 1, 2, 3 and 4, you are ready to take on the even higher or more difficult Gameboy 5, is it not?

A story in the Srimad Bhagavatam narrates how one of the palanquin bearers of a king took ill and a man chosen at random from the crowd (who happened to be Bharata) was made to take his place. Untrained, his gait was slow as he would scan the ground before him lest he step on insects and hurt them. The disturbed king demanded an explanation. When the other bearers blamed the new entrant, the king ridiculed him, saying he was old, not as strong as the others and threatened that he would "restore him to his original state" — that is, end his life.

The unperturbed Bharata responded that if everything was illusion, then the king's words of ridicule become pointless...if one is not identified with body and recognises that one is atman, then who is master, who is servant? And if you say i am a dunce, then what effect could your words have on a dunce? Bharata was merely doing his prarabdha karma. He — MMS — just happened to be there when they needed an extra palanquin bearer.

"A fool often shows aversion towards his belongings, but for him (MMS) whose attachment to the body has dropped away, there is neither attachment nor aversion. The mind of the fool is always caught in an opinion about becoming or avoiding something, but the wise man's (MMS's) nature is to have no opinions about becoming and avoiding."

Manmohan Singh does not seek to be master; neither does he exert himself to avoid being a master. When he became PM, he did not feel honoured and when he ceases to be PM, he would not feel dishonoured. And if he has taken cues from Mrs G, he has no issues doing the same with Rahul. He is merely winding down and finishing his prarabdha karma — hence he does not need to either shield or not shield criminals, or move anything in the cabinet given that there are many others who want to do that.

If you wonder why MMS is being accused of being inactive, why he never won an election, and why he has nothing to lose no matter what the situation, the following verse will tell you why: "The wise one (MMS) is content, wandering about at will...alone and unattached to all things, rejoicing...He is without possession, moves about at pleasure, is free from conflict of opposites and dispels all his doubts."

Is a non-leader the best leader? Perhaps, we are so used to control freaks that we cannot fathom a decontrol freak. Generally people want a PM who "controls" the destiny of the nation. MMS would probably say, "The less i do, the better it is." If MMS is seen as one who merely follows orders, the perception is perhaps correct. For, to such a person, nothing is good or bad. The more MMS is blamed for this and that, the clearer it becomes that he is doing a good job playing as if he were really PM — yet staying unaffected by it all.

MMS will have the last laugh, though, even that will be inscrutable.

MMS, self-realised PM - The Times of India

He is a Yogic in his attitude - beyond the hustle and bustle of earthly realities affecting his thoughts and ego.

Though he has not been what one would have expected him to be given the world acclaim as an astute economists et all, it appears that he is letting events run its course without attempting to influence the issues.

He is an enigma.

Who knows? He may have the last laugh!