PM Manmohan Singh pledges to clean up governing processes in 2011

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Parthy, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Parthy

Parthy Air Warrior Senior Member

NEW DELHI: With a welter of scams and price rise haunting the UPA 2, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a New Year eve message has promised his government will "redouble" efforts to deal with inflation and cleaning governing processes.

Instead of a more routine wish-you-well message, the PM has chosen to address the crisis of credibility facing UPA 2 after the Commonwealth Games, 2G and Adarsh society scandals broke out in the last few months.

"We will redouble our efforts to deal effectively and credibly with the challenges of inflation, cleansing our governing processes, national security and making our delivery system work for the aam admi," Singh has said in a three-paragraph message, which begins by pointing to the need to take stock of the year gone by and the challenges ahead.

He has said that on the New Year eve, he would like to "assure all our citizens that my government and I will work with renewed resolve for the welfare of our people". The PM said he would pay attention to national security and making the delivery system work for the common man.

The PM's effort seem to be to indicate that he is aware of an erosion of public trust while also making it clear that he does not lack the political will to address the malaise of corruption charges dogging the government.

To this end, he has also made an oblique reference to the stand-off in Parliament with the Opposition and said it is time to make a "new beginning to the year" and to dispel the air of despondency and cynicism. "We need to believe in the resilience of our democracy and its capacities to deal with infirmities and shortcomings through course correction," the statement added.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/PM-Manmohan-Singh-pledges-to-clean-up-governing-processes-in-2011/articleshow/7197299.cms#ixzz19xE0pYwj

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

It is time to stop blowing hot air and bogus promises.

It is silly to talk of 'redoubling' effort and such humbug phrases.

Was he sleeping so far in his seat?

His govt has been applying itself from the day of being elected to office for the welfare of the am admi - another asinine slogan!

All the am admi has experienced is misery.

Scams, food prices skyrocketing without any genuine effort to control so that the middlemen make a killing, petrol price being hiked at regular interval without realising that it is the rich who can afford SUV which run on diesel and thereby taxing the middle class to cater for the rich and the cup of woes brims over.

I had hoped that a clean and honest man could make a difference, but India is beyond redemption. See the gall of the Food man Sharad Pawar. Ever since he has assumed the office, the prices rise and he is all for the middle men or so it appears.

Manmohan has let himself and the country down. He is no leader. All his Ministers run their own agenda and he looks on in a helpless stupor!

He is hamstrung by the Head Office of which he is a puppet on a string.

He should quit while his reputation is still intact!

But then, that is also dangerous since the Barbarians are at the gate to hope that exactly this should happen!

The stand off in Parliament be damned. As if any ruling party cared about what is said in the Parliament. And anyway, the country too does not care since it is only a circus.

The Stand off is no excuse for the moribund governance that is on!

Shape up or ship out!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Qalib,

Thank you for your Bad Rating.

You must be rich to feel that all is hunky dory!

Or maybe you don't have a car and instead have a diesel guzzling SUV, don't eat onions, don't take sugar etc etc.

Or maybe you are a politicians with adequate clout and means to ensure your larder and coffers remain full, because the people just 'love' you!

I am not related to the Tatas or Ambanis or Radia or even Raja.

I am feeling the pinch!

I have just come from the market and I am rather light in the pocket and even lighter in my marketing bag.

And yes, I am frustrated. Yes, I am angry!

I don't care which political party runs the country. I understand legitimate expenses that the govt imposes on the citizenry. Yet, I sure am horrified when the govt abdicates governance and give inane nonsense about redoubling effort or being so concerned of the am admi!

It a damn fool idea that a Food and Agriculture Minister spends more time on cricket instead on agriculture production, equitable food prices and ensuring food stocks don't rot in the godowns.

Is that asking too much from the government?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  5. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

haha fir to ho hi gaya samjho..

6. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Unfortunately for the country the most delicious irony lies in the fact that while we have an eminent economist as PM, another as head of the planning commission, for the last 7 years we have had run away inflation with the Govt unable/ or not willing to control it. Let us admit it the high growth rates are due to policies laid down by the earlier NDA Govt. This fractious UPA has not been able to lay down simple policies. One of the most vital infrastructure projects the Golden Quadrangle and other NHAI projects lie in complete mess.

Where we have a super PM, a super Cabinet (NAC) ministers with their own agenda, we can only get promises, and we all know that promises are not worth their shit in weight even.

7. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

I have no doubt that MMS is one of best PM India ever had or will have but problem here is that his hands are tied due to coalition parties and Congress high command himself. He is like Bhisma pitamah who can see and want to do something to correct the wrong but he cannot act due to his vachan . I donot have issue with corruption taking place in Government . corruption is part of our culture and cannot be removed so easily but once its out action should have been swift and example should have been set for other to create a fear. Way things are handled I am sure its not MMS way. kalmadi is still roaming free after so many months while he should have been in Jail. Important files are missing in Adarsh housing society scam and I am sure no one will be behind the bars for that and Mr Raja is still cooperating with CBI for his involvment in 2G scam . Perhaps a dehati gawar with power to put these people behind the bars would have done a better job.

8. Parthy

It will be more precise to say in DFI style - Our PM is a Su30 with no armament and EW suite. :emot154:

9. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

When I first read the title, it came across as "PM Manmohan Singh pledges to cover-up governing screw-ups from last-year". The cleanup doesn't sound unrealistic, if the following is done:
    • 2G/3G spectrum is recovered from all dubious buyers who haven't utilized it and are hoarding it for resale
    • CWG is got to the bottom of
    • Sports association bosses who have overstayed their tenure are given a swelling kick on their asses
    • Food Public Distribution System (PDS) is put through a liposuction, hoarders are punished, and inflation got down by at least 8%
    • Telangana is constitutionally created, and process for creation of smaller states in accordance with Congress' declared stance of smaller states in CMP; is initiated
    • Proposed Jaitpur nuclear power station site is relocated to a more appropriate location

10. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Dr Manmohan Singh is an economist par excellence,a number cruncher like somebody described him,any dream cabinet would have him as the best choice for FM.Dr Singh is unfortunate just that an excellent technocrat,but not a natural leader.He would be a great ally for any leader,by himself he cannot be one.As it was said about Alexander,Washington,Lincoln or Gandhi,no leader can hope to become a great leader if he is surrounded by ordinary men

11. Parthy

Governance in our country is utter failure.. Officials don't even know their complete responsibility. This is so visible starting from a Collector office.. If a common man goes to them ask for an information, they say that they're not responsible for it and contact so&so people and in turn they say they're not responsible...

People don't have sufficient knowledge on the policies Government have for the well-fare of the people.,. Finally, this well-fare policies turns into Government officials well-fare money...

Still how long people of India continually denied of schemes created for them??? Do we have a team for this (or) they're functional??

We should have a subject of this Policies and Civil law in schools instead of teaching useless Book terms, making our young generation a "Book-Worm" which makes them less-creative...

Arise, Awake, and Stop Not Till the Goal Is Reached! - Is Vivekananda's preach.. Its never too late Awake.. Lets start it small, at least from kids and our Friends whom we know....

If we need a change let the Change start from us!! Each of us!!