Plight of Indian Tamil Fishermen and LTTE

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I gave a cursory browsing of the thread, and it appears nobody is making their stance clear, too much deflection and dilly-dallying.

Oracle

I gave a cursory browsing of the thread, and it appears nobody is making their stance clear, too much deflection and dilly-dallying.
You need to read the earlier thread for which this thread was created. Pussie galore!

KS

Bye bye DFI
Except GK, no one even tried to answer the real question and spent their energies on ad-hominems and trolling.

But yes I understand. If you dont have anything to discuss on topic it happens.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Of course it is relevant.

why are you not answering it ?
I dont think it is relevant to the issue because the issue started well before the LTTE and it continues till date when the LTTE has been dead for 3 years.

But why deny you the joy ? Open another thread called "Karthic's views on LTTE" and I will answer there. If you think I am obfuscating rest assured I am going no where. Dont worry.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I dont think it is relevant to the issue because the issue started well before the LTTE and it continues till date when the LTTE has been dead for 3 years.

But why deny you the joy ? Open another thread called "Karthic's views on LTTE" and I will answer there. If you think I am obfuscating rest assured I am going no where. Dont worry.
was last thread about sri lanka or about south vs north ? so why did you bring up sri lanka ?

stop beating around the bush and answer the question.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This new thread was started to discuss this particular topic, I presume ?

Either quote posts/copy-paste some of that discussion, or produce arguments/counter arguments. For godsake make some sense. 9 pages of drivel !!!

KS

Bye bye DFI
was last thread about sri lanka or about south vs north ? so why did you bring up sri lanka ?

stop beating around the bush and answer the question.
First I dont think it was me who brought in the issue.

Secondly even if I had brought it does that justify you bringing in offtopic posts here ?

I am saying for the last time - if you want the answer open a new thread. I am NOT replying here.

EDIT:

I checked it out and you were wrong as usual. It was not me who brought up the Lankan issue.

It was this post by pmaitra which first brought it;

Sir, we too have a feeling in North India as to why Indian taxpayers' money was used to fund the LTTE. Yes, we support the Sri Lankan Tamils' rights and acknowledge their oppression by the Sinhalese. However, why not condemn the LTTE as an outright terrorist organisation? LTTE was armed by Indian money from taxpayers from all over India, including the North. This is a legitimate accusation of lack of patriotism on many (not all) South Indians.

Link

Fine he brought in another context and I replied and we were done with it.

Then came Pankaj Nema with his BS;

Tamilian Members on this forum believe that India could have supported LTTE .

And then what would have Sri Lanka done

Simply invited Pakistan and China to defend its territorial integrity

Just as India has fiercely fought in Kashmir and North eastern states for our territory
so similarly Sri lanka would have done the same

And HOW would the rest of South India felt if Pakistan and China established a base in Sri lanka

Of course initially LTTE was our creation But it was a mistake and before it could hurt India even Further
we had no choice but to dump the LTTE

Even today India 's main concern is the Chinese presence in Sri Lanka

And then it started. Still think I started it...Go wash your face. Now that I have cleared your wild allegation care to come up with any useful stuff ?

Link

Last edited:

Param

The same Hypocrites who say that we should fire up the Tibetans to deal with China come up with lame crappy excuses like Chinese threat in SL.

They are ready to risk a out war with China along the border. But they say that a bunch of Chinese planes might and in SL and threaten India if support righteousness there.

Oracle

/\/\/\ You are a little late for trolling. Playing the regional and victim card failed miserably.

S.A.T.A

I was often said when Indira Gandhi was assassinated,Jaffna mourned Mrs Gandhi more than Delhi did.Tamil politicians like TULF leader Amruthalingam were taunted by their Sinhalese counterparts,who asked them what would the orphaned Tamils do now that their mother is dead.There was a reason for that because Indira Gandhi possibly was the only leader who pursued Indian interests from holistic nationalist point,than any of her predecessors or those who followed(Including her father and her son)

Like in Sikkim Indira Gandhi had laid ground work for a possible push to encourage secession of Tamil dominated Lankan NE(including the jaffna peninsula) from Lanka and perhaps even a possible merger with India.Indira Gandhi was not averse to sidelining exalted principles if the outcome served the national cause.On principle we should not have been interfering in Bengal or Sikkim,but national interest demanded it.Indira Gandhi actively courted Tamil politician and political groups,while the same time funded,trained and bank rolled Tamil militia,including the LTTE.She was the past mistress in the art of keeping contending groups off balance,while ambitious Sinhalese nationalist were kept earnest,the Tamil activists,militia and politicians were played off against one another,all the while India remained in control.This was how thins were until her death.

For all his vaunted political charm and talent for getting along with everyone,Rajeev Gandhi's incompetence in the art of playing hard politics outweighed all his other accomplishments.The way he single handedly ruined the congress party's stature as national party for good may have only concerned political scientists and congress veterans,but what he did to India's cause in Srilanka was disastrous to say the least.

Rajeev Gandhi's foreign policy doctrine was complete reversal of Indira Gandhi's 'Indian interest first' and a throw back to Nehruvian internationalism.Rajeev Gandhi now perceived the Tamil struggle in Lanka as secessionists and because India was fighting against Sikh secessionist,by extension India would oppose all secessionists.It scarcely mattered that Sikh secessionist were fighting against us and Tamils in Lanka weren't.Rajeev Gandhi started formulating a 'devolution plan' for Srilanka,which became the basis for the 1987 Indo-Lankan accord.Jayawardene who practically signed off the northern peninsula,jumped at this god send opportunity and agreed in toto with Rajeev's grand plan,even if had to host indian troops.So what if he had to humor the Rajeev Gandhi the statesman,as long as India helped keep him retain territories that was considered as lost,it was fair deal,no it was a jackpot.

Rajeev Gandhi complete unraveled all of Indira's tactics and strategy with respects to Lanka one after another.Indira gave no iron clad commitments on Srilankan unity,Rajeev made India a guarantor of Lankan unity.Indira Gandhi kept a balance between the contending Tamil groups,Rajeev allowed the LTTE to gain supremacy in the jaffna peninsula,by looking the other way as LTTE liquidated its rivals.When LTTE became powerful Rajeev made a complete turnaround and started actively supporting the TULF,this led to LTTE targetting the TULF leaders,which finally led to LTTE assassinating Amruthalingam,which led to India officially snapping ties with LTTE.

Rajeev Gandhi should never have put Indian forces on ground,this only helped take the heat off the beleaguered Srilankan army,which was bearing the brunt of the Tamil militia campaign(including the LTTE).This made all Tamil groups to suspect Rajeev motives,was he furthering India's cause or Srilankan.as if this wasn't bad enough,the troops who had gone to ensure peace,now began to forcibly disarming Tamil militia,even though the pricniples that had been agreed upon in the Indo-Lanka accord were yet to be implemented.By the time the IPKF was forced to depart from the Lanka,they had practically disarmed all tamil militia groups with the exception for the LTTE.India had achieved in the matter of few years,what the Lankan army could not in over a decade of entrenched guerrilla warfare.

We practically drowned every single chip we held in Srilanka down the palk strait,and we shed our own blood and that of innocent Tamils in Lanka who looked up to us for support,in the bargain.

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
/\/\/\ You are a little late for trolling. Playing the regional and victim card failed miserably.
Ya it failed miserably for congress in TN they where here for 50+ yrs and recently got 5 vote. That shows we dont need party playing regional card.

It's high time SL issue is settled for good

ejazr

Ambassador
Well, personally I think that India should through the back channel really pressure Sri Lanka to integrate Tamils better. Since the end of the operations in 2009, the govt. has seriously not taken any major steps to re-integrate its Tamil population. And there has been more than enough time for GoSL to take care of this issue.

Yes, its true that we need to improve or atleast maintain good ties with SL because of China e.t.c., this is the reason I would say the pressure should be on backchannel and quiet at present. But a time bound scenario should be presented. The talks with the TNA should be completed and the final accord implemented.

Making Sri Lanka resolve the Tamil issue is a key test of India's influence in the region. After BD, Sri Lanka is probably the next best bet for India to resolve its issues with and develop strong regional ties. And this can't be done without having the TN govt. onboard. In any case, Sri Lanka should note that to full end the conflict there has to be a political settlement. Otherwise the conflict can rear its ugly head again as it has happened elsewhere in the past.

Param

Well, personally I think that India should through the back channel really pressure Sri Lanka to integrate Tamils better. Since the end of the operations in 2009, the govt. has seriously not taken any major steps to re-integrate its Tamil population. And there has been more than enough time for GoSL to take care of this issue.

Yes, its true that we need to improve or atleast maintain good ties with SL because of China e.t.c., this is the reason I would say the pressure should be on backchannel and quiet at present. But a time bound scenario should be presented. The talks with the TNA should be completed and the final accord implemented.

Making Sri Lanka resolve the Tamil issue is a key test of India's influence in the region. After BD, Sri Lanka is probably the next best bet for India to resolve its issues with and develop strong regional ties. And this can't be done without having the TN govt. onboard. In any case, Sri Lanka should note that to full end the conflict there has to be a political settlement. Otherwise the conflict can rear its ugly head again as it has happened elsewhere in the past.
For a few years now the TN govt and TN politicos have effectively been ignored on the issue. Colombo has been directly taking to Delhi. Infact some Sinhalese even believe that Dehi has made TN poweress regarding the SL issue.

Therefore,Some even see a hidden agenda behind Hilary's recent visit to TN.

Those who think that TN can be ignored wrt SL Tamil issue are mistaken.

Param

I was often said when Indira Gandhi was assassinated,Jaffna mourned Mrs Gandhi more than Delhi did.Tamil politicians like TULF leader Amruthalingam were taunted by their Sinhalese counterparts,who asked them what would the orphaned Tamils do now that their mother is dead.There was a reason for that because Indira Gandhi possibly was the only leader who pursued Indian interests from holistic nationalist point,than any of her predecessors or those who followed(Including her father and her son)

Like in Sikkim Indira Gandhi had laid ground work for a possible push to encourage secession of Tamil dominated Lankan NE(including the jaffna peninsula) from Lanka and perhaps even a possible merger with India.Indira Gandhi was not averse to sidelining exalted principles if the outcome served the national cause.On principle we should not have been interfering in Bengal or Sikkim,but national interest demanded it.Indira Gandhi actively courted Tamil politician and political groups,while the same time funded,trained and bank rolled Tamil militia,including the LTTE.She was the past mistress in the art of keeping contending groups off balance,while ambitious Sinhalese nationalist were kept earnest,the Tamil activists,militia and politicians were played off against one another,all the while India remained in control.This was how thins were until her death.

For all his vaunted political charm and talent for getting along with everyone,Rajeev Gandhi's incompetence in the art of playing hard politics outweighed all his other accomplishments.The way he single handedly ruined the congress party's stature as national party for good may have only concerned political scientists and congress veterans,but what he did to India's cause in Srilanka was disastrous to say the least.

Rajeev Gandhi's foreign policy doctrine was complete reversal of Indira Gandhi's 'Indian interest first' and a throw back to Nehruvian internationalism.Rajeev Gandhi now perceived the Tamil struggle in Lanka as secessionists and because India was fighting against Sikh secessionist,by extension India would oppose all secessionists.It scarcely mattered that Sikh secessionist were fighting against us and Tamils in Lanka weren't.Rajeev Gandhi started formulating a 'devolution plan' for Srilanka,which became the basis for the 1987 Indo-Lankan accord.Jayawardene who practically signed off the northern peninsula,jumped at this god send opportunity and agreed in toto with Rajeev's grand plan,even if had to host indian troops.So what if he had to humor the Rajeev Gandhi the statesman,as long as India helped keep him retain territories that was considered as lost,it was fair deal,no it was a jackpot.

Rajeev Gandhi complete unraveled all of Indira's tactics and strategy with respects to Lanka one after another.Indira gave no iron clad commitments on Srilankan unity,Rajeev made India a guarantor of Lankan unity.Indira Gandhi kept a balance between the contending Tamil groups,Rajeev allowed the LTTE to gain supremacy in the jaffna peninsula,by looking the other way as LTTE liquidated its rivals.When LTTE became powerful Rajeev made a complete turnaround and started actively supporting the TULF,this led to LTTE targetting the TULF leaders,which finally led to LTTE assassinating Amruthalingam,which led to India officially snapping ties with LTTE.

Rajeev Gandhi should never have put Indian forces on ground,this only helped take the heat off the beleaguered Srilankan army,which was bearing the brunt of the Tamil militia campaign(including the LTTE).This made all Tamil groups to suspect Rajeev motives,was he furthering India's cause or Srilankan.as if this wasn't bad enough,the troops who had gone to ensure peace,now began to forcibly disarming Tamil militia,even though the pricniples that had been agreed upon in the Indo-Lanka accord were yet to be implemented.By the time the IPKF was forced to depart from the Lanka,they had practically disarmed all tamil militia groups with the exception for the LTTE.India had achieved in the matter of few years,what the Lankan army could not in over a decade of entrenched guerrilla warfare.

We practically drowned every single chip we held in Srilanka down the palk strait,and we shed our own blood and that of innocent Tamils in Lanka who looked up to us for support,in the bargain.
Nice article SATA. Are you a journalist?
Even if we had merged Northern and Eastern SL with India in the 80's by giving them some Autonomy and recruiting their youth in the Indian Army that would have been far better than the IPKF deal that was forced down their throats in 1987.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Not really. SL army was killing each and every Tamil person. There are many such videos on you tube and Channel 4 Website
uooooooooooo............................................................................. show us where SL troops killed each and every Tamil person sir!

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned
hey, who moved it here? It belongs in Naval Warfare

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles