Please don’t kill my goat, or camel

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by Daredevil, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Please don’t kill my goat, or camel (II)

Please don’t kill my goat

But if there is anything that I am, it is persistent. So without further ado, here is a list of even more gripes I have with bakra Eid and the way it is conducted.

1. Many animals that are slaughtered on Eid tend to be murdered by amateur butchers that crop up all over Pakistan hoping to make a quick buck by running a knife any which way through the millions of animals that are lined up to be put down.

2. What’s worse – many children (some as young as 10 to 12-years-old) are encouraged to hold the knife during the actual moment of throat-slitting. You know that moment right? The moment when there is maximum pain and suffering for the animal. Yeah, great idea having a fumbling child or adolescent’s hand holding a knife being pressed down on a terrified living creature by an amateur butcher. Very mard-e-momin or what-have-you, and yes I say mard, because I don’t recall ‘ever’ seeing a woman partaking in this slaughter.

3. Blood is everywhere. It is congealed at my doorstep. It is in my lawn. It is sprayed across the newly whitewashed walls of my neighbourhood. It is pouring onto the streets and no one, I repeat, no one seems to have any civic sense or an iota of responsibility regarding the clean-up. I understand that we are a filthy nation with no regard for each other, but it’s a religious festival – shouldn’t this be the one (sorry, three) days where we at least pretend to care?

4. In an agriculture-based, poverty-stricken dump of a country like ours, one would think that meat eating would be considered a distant second to a healthy, vegetable or grain-based diet, but no!

“To hell with our Hindu roots”

I have literally heard that yelled out at a family gathering, meat is the pinnacle of the Pakistani diet; the fundamental food stuff everyone must aspire to, regardless of whether they can afford it or not, and whether it is healthy or not. Meat is just cool. Nowhere is this exemplified more than on Eid, where meat, glorious meat is literally all anyone eats for a day, no wait, a week, no wait, a month after.

5. Beggars and scam artists generally get my goat (pun intended), but on bakra Eid the degree to which beggary and scams are encouraged is just outrageous. Whether it is the unscrupulous behaviour of our political parties and banned organisations (shame on you all) fighting it out over animal skins or donations, or the incessant ringing of the doorbell as beggars become the ‘meat gathering mafia’ complete with emotional blackmail and the occasional assault and forced entry, the meaning of Eid becomes simply this: gorge, feast, material gain, gorge again, puke, get a plastic bag, horde and gorge again.

6. Camel sacrifice. ’Nuff said.

GRAPHIC Images: http://www.demotix.com/sites/defaul...ice-during-eid-ul-adha---hyderabad_915358.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FRwgzLh7V...ring-eid-ul-adha%2C-karachi_512877%5B1%5D.jpg

If you haven’t seen a camel being sacrificed in Pakistan, please do so and let me know at what point stabbing an animal 12-20 times in the neck as it runs around screaming in a circle while a crowd of people cheer is not a barbaric inhuman violence-celebrating spectacle, as compared to say, something spiritual that Islam condones.

I’m going to stop now. The horror of it all makes it really, really impossible to go on.

Eid Mubarak!

blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/14497/please-don%E2%80%99t-kill-my-goat-or-camel-ii/

3. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

"To hell with Hindu roots"

What ignorance !

Doe the author know that Hindus too indulge in ritual sacrifices as much as Muslims ? That most Hindus too each meat ?

Illusive, LurkerBaba and gokussj9 like this.
  4. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Such a barbaric and ignorant society :tsk:

5. Coalmine

Coalmine Regular Member

WTF with author
    hindus dont encourage children to hold knife, they dont kill big animals like cows and camels and that also in some dastardly manner. it is better to kill them in one jhatka than to see them suffer terribly.

rock127 likes this.
  6. gokussj9

gokussj9 Senior Member Senior Member

In dharmic traditions, I believe if one has the desire to eat non-vegetarian, one can do it by performing a proper
    sacrifice once a month. One has to then whisper the mantra "mam sah khadati iti mamsah." (That is, "I am now eating the flesh of an animal who will some day in the future be eating my flesh) in the ear of the animal. That pretty much gives you the shiver and gradually you stop eating meat. :laugh:

Das ka das and A chauhan like this.
  7. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Yeah it's really an barbaric act, btw Infect the goats with enthrax virus before Eid in Pakistan and wait!

gokussj9 likes this.
  8. gokussj9

Well, we have about 40% vegetarians.

Why is India vegetarian friendly? - www.indianweekender.co.nz

And a good number of non vegetarians also take it occassionally.

I remember the sacrifice of goats in my village temple in Uttaranchal. @Bhadra ji can explain better I believe.
    It was not very barbaric but many people protested even that and it was banned subsequently. :cool2:
    Is animal sacrifice still present in south indian temples?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  9. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

Author was being sarcastic by echoing the thought of paki awaam.

Coalmine likes this.
  10. arnabmit

It happens regularly in Kalighat.

Kalighat Kali Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    gokussj9 likes this.
  11. gokussj9

Harkath Tala
    This is the spot adjacent to the Natmondir, southwards meant for Bali (sacrifice). There are two Sacrificial altars for animal sacrifices side by side. These are known as Hari- Kath. The bigger one is for buffalo sacrifices and the smaller one for goats and sheep. The animals are sacrificed with a single stroke of the scimitar and there is very little cruelty to animals when compared to the professional abattoirs.

This is interesting. I believe Maa Kaali being the in charge of tamo-guna accepts animal sacrifices. But I thought since
    Radha-Krsna temple is there, there won't be animal killing. So is the animal flesh distributed among people or is it simply
    offered to the goddess?

12. farhan_9909

farhan_9909 Tihar Jail Banned

please post more from the same author

13. arnabmit

The meat is cooked only by the head purohit of the temple along with pulao, alurdum, bhaja, khichuri, labra, fish, payesh etc. (complete 6 course meal) and offered to the goddess, and then and distributed among disciples (those who have paid for puja)

Prasad with sacrificial meat is called Mahabhog, and without meat is called Bhog.

gokussj9 likes this.
  14. gokussj9

Some comments from the blog

15. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Jaya banned it after Kanchi sankaracharya told her...but who cares...yes, it still goes on in our village temples...

gokussj9 likes this.
  16. arnabmit

Completely wrong and unscientific explanation.

17. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

I understand that muslims sacrifice goat to remember when Abraham was going to sacrifice his son....Why muslims don't do that? why kill the goat as symbolic gesture??

18. arnabmit

Because as per the story, Abraham/Ibrahim did kill the goat (replaced by god in place of Ismail/Ishmael) as promised to god.

Bakhr-i-Eid/Eid al-Adha is an annual re-enactment of that story.

AFAIK...

warriorextreme likes this.
  19. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

My Dear Sir,

why did shiva kill a goat and placed it on the head of slain dasksh Parajapati ?

Why did they kill an elephant calf to revive Ganesha ?

Animal activist or purist can raise similar question for any mythology...

By the way Hindus have been killing goats in place or in lieu for jumans etc for centuries..
    Now the Hindus regularly sacrifice coconuts considering those to be inate..

I think Muslim practice of sacrificing goat is derived from Hinduism...

20. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

So it is all stupid...Killing animals for food I can understand even though I think it is unnecessary....But killing animal to please god/ gods ?
    It is completely ungodly..

21. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

What about killing Human for that purpose..

I read in the thread a fellow claimimg that he being a Muslim and a warrior, it is his duty to kill.

On the contrary under Hindu Dharma the duty of a warrior (Kshetria / Rajput) is to protect...

You must have read the story of that king who gave equal amount of his flesh as that of a bird who he had vowed to protect..