Plan for Religion-based Headcount in all Companies

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by afako, Nov 2, 2012.

1. afako

afako Regular Member

IMRAN AHMED SIDDIQUI
    New Delhi, Oct. 31: The government is proposing to make it mandatory for all companies, in the private as well as public sector, to do a religion-based headcount of their workforce in an effort to check discrimination.

The minority affairs ministry is planning to bring a law that will require companies to reveal employee details, including religion and caste, under the proposed Equal Opportunity Commission.

“This will ensure equal opportunity for all and the government will also get a database about the religious diversity among the workforce. It will help us to tackle cases of discrimination against people from minority communities,” a senior official of the ministry told The Telegraph.

But sections of ministry officials fear that the move could run into controversy like in 2006, when the UPA government had ordered a survey in all government institutions, including the army, to ascertain the socio-economic conditions of Muslims.

The issue had caused an uproar in Parliament with the Opposition alleging that the government was trying to divide the army along communal lines.

“This is a sensitive issue and we need to proceed with caution. We have also spoken to a few corporate houses and they don’t have any problems with it. They seem to be more concerned about the controversies it may attract. We have convinced them that it is a very positive thing in the interest of minorities and is aimed at ending discrimination,” the official said.

Setting up the Equal Opportunity Commission tops the agenda of K. Rahman Khan, who has succeeded Salman Khurshid as minority affairs minister.

“The proposed commission will help us prevent discrimination along religious lines and examine diversity in institutions and ensure that all communities get equal opportunities,” Khan said.

In 2008, an expert group set up by the ministry had recommended such a commission to tackle discrimination through a system of incentives and disincentives.

But it could not be set up following disagreements over its powers because several existing commissions feared that they would become redundant.

For example, the National Commission for Minorities, which investigates cases of discrimination and violation of rights, felt it would rendered meaningless.

“Setting up of the proposed commission was first suggested by the government-appointed Sachar committee, which highlighted the poor socio-economic condition of minorities in the country and also the extreme backwardness and under-representation of Muslims in governance,” said another official of the ministry.

The commission is aimed at promoting diversity in education and employment by exercising the powers of a civil court and at curbing discrimination based on sex, religion, caste, race, birthplace and language.

“We will soon hold talks with officials from state governments on the setting up of the proposed EOC. We have to take everybody on board,” Khan said.

Plan for religion-based headcount in all companies

maomao likes this.
  3. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

That information can be quickly retrieved, I believe.

Most large companies, at least in the organized sector, and the large ones usually are, already have that information collected at the time of applying for a naukri. It's a standard question on many company forms, I've even seen the "Atheist" option on some.

I think it'll help with getting an idea with just how much certain communities are lagging on the organized employment front, whether companies are implementing quota reservation requirements and what to do about those.

4. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

reservation in company ? that is the last stupid move to make us another somalia

maomao and lcatejas like this.
  5. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

I have worked in 3 organisations and now I rn my own business, have never had to fill a religion or caste entry. And I do not plan to ever do in my company also.

This is the first step for introduction of reservations in the private sector.

maomao and drkrn like this.
  6. Rage

The Government is believed to be mulling a proposal to include mandatory reservation in some sub-sectors of the private sector. Mayawati has already announced reservations for those companies, executing state-funded projects under public-private partnerships.

On the subject of reservation, I found this book that offered useful theoretical and historical insight into the issue:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...9b1qJX&sig=AHIEtbQ4oVxtK21W-mdPJP53YlmtV2ps5Q

maomao likes this.
  7. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

[​IMG]

jackprince likes this.
  8. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

What if I dont trust "particular" community members?? Should I hire them just because some backless moron in the govt bowed to those "communities".

maomao likes this.
  9. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

what if i dont get any person who is skilled to take up a job from one community,i should simply recruit ,pay and keep them idle

maomao likes this.
  10. lcatejas

lcatejas Regular Member

what you can expect from these ganwar ....only vote bank politics.. and buttering there ass...:frusty:

maomao and afako like this.
  11. Rage

We're assuming now that the headcount is meant to act as a feedback mechanism to enforce a Private Sector Reservation law that does not yet exist. And while I admit that, if it does ever become one, it can lead to problems and even more corruption. But private sector reservations are not a reality yet, and by all accounts are unlikely to be for quite some time in future, if ever. Even if they do happen in the medium-term, it will be in a phase wise approach, that if the government is smart, will be calibrated taking into account the feedback of the corporate sector. Of course, you can never discount the pandering to vote bank politics. I think the results of this next general election, in 2014, will be an important indicator if this ever will pass.

For specialized sectors and professions, the Government is unlikely to implement private sector reservations. It will mostly be restricted to semi-skilled and unskilled work, factory jobs or blue collar positions under company designations.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  12. devgupt

devgupt Regular Member

Implement private sector reservations and become a hell hole like South Africa.

maomao likes this.
  13. Mad Indian

yeah well if it Will be based on 1947 population ratios and strict reservation with no exceptions for minority institutions, I would be ok with it. seriously we should not encourage " rat" like breeding habits by encouraging reservation based on population ratios

devgupt and maomao like this.
  14. drkrn

drkrn Senior Member Senior Member

for a govt which had done religion wise head count in indian army,its not difficult for them to do in pvt companies

maomao likes this.
  15. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Do you have a link for that survey ?

16. drkrn

17. drkrn

18. Rage

I don't know if corporate-based job reservations will necessarily encourage "rat"-like breeding habits. I mean, the whole point of breeding like 'rats' is so that you have multiple individuals ready to earn a living in the informal sector.

That aside- I'm against the entire concept of community-based reservations as they actually exist. I'm all for income status-based reservations in low skilled or unskilled jobs like sweepers, bus conductors or consumer goods assembly lines.

I'm hoping, if they do this survey, it will be for statistical reasons and for education-based- such as vocational training- social welfare programs only. But that' a far cry from what usually happens in this country. You and I, both, know that vote bank pandering is the number one reason for macro-economic social indicators like this being used to provide traction for laws that attempt to influence optimal economic functioning. The survey itself is not something I am opposed to, statistically and educationally/non-unemployment based vocational or social welfare program speaking, but if you hear rumblings of a law for private sector job reservations after the survey or in tandem with it, then that's something we need to watch out for.

maomao likes this.
  19. Mad Indian

@Rage have you not heard of communities encouraging its constituents to have more children for sake of their community? well I have:truestory:

but if you ask me, the govt ,if it can't help ,atleast should stop making matters worse. the economy and the people Will do very well on their own if they are left alone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    utubekhiladi likes this.
  20. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Corrupt Italian wiatress run con-gress ne iss desh ka Beda garg karke hi maanna hey!!

Fukcun islamic vote bank stunt!

I'm sick of con-gress and secularism; someone please eliminate these two from this unfortunate country!

Wish we did not have any minorities, so that the majority could live in peace; probably India is the only country which has been disintegrated, looted, plundered, subjected to murder and terrorism by minorities and still these so called minorities call the shots as majority community is disunited, dumb, selfish and meek!

utubekhiladi likes this.
  21. Rage

I have. But not generally in the case of skilled employment. When people get to that income level, where they're focusing on their kids to take up a certain profession, like a doctor, or lawyer, or engineer they're usually saving up so they can give their one kid or two children the best education possible. If you go skilled, you've got to go very skilled or don't go skilled at all. Because in this economy, being skilled from a mediocre institution or not going all the way along a particular skill-set, isn't worth the dividends. Which they can only do, if they can save enough by not having a bunch of rugrats to educate at mediocre institutions. I actually think the reverse phenomenon applies: given that you already have a pre-existing income level. My opinion.

I don't discount that certain communities will encourage their members to have more kids for other reasons tho. That is very much true. Whether it's from religious compunctions of spreading the faith, as in the case of many Muslim minorities or having more farmhands, as in the case of rural farmers, irrespective of religion. But, then, that is irrelevant to the argument.

I agree that in an economy like India, where social entrepreneurship- the recognition of social problems and the use of entrepreneurial principles to organise, create and manage social ventures to overcome them- is pervasive, government interference only aggravates matters. The entire Indian economy is based on a system of digging holes, so that a multitude of middlemen can earn a living by fixing them. This is a market regulatory phenomenon that is unique to India, and is part of the trickle-down effect in this country. Market inadequacies, caused by the nature of the market and its distributive, productive and arbitrative measures, are tackled by the system of social entrepreneurship itself and government intervention only serves to create more market inadequacies, so that resources have to be diverted from elsewhere in order to rectify them. Apart from the 'essential', non-competitive functions of government, the govt. should limit its scope to legal regulatory measures, redistributive measures only when absoloutely necessary and work on actually getting out of the economy more, rather than getting into it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015